Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the Specialized tires (Roll X, Enduro, Adrenaline, Fast Trak, etc.). I rode a Fisher Cake 3 before I gave up on it and purchased a 06 SJ. The SJ came with the Adrenalines and I noticed they are slower than the Bonty ACX's that came on the Cake, BUT they have tremendous grip and the volume allows for a more forgiving ride.

BTW, my SJ hasn't even seen the trails and is in the shop getting the brakes replaced with Hayes HFX-9's.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have ridden the Roll X's, Enduro's, Fast Trak's, but never really the adrenalines. The fast traks are some of the best tires I have ever ridden. They are very fast with low rolling resistence and they grip on everything! The Roll X's are right behind them, I though they were a great tire also, but did not have quite as much grip IMHO. I realize this is weird because the fast trak's have smaller knobs on them. I absolutely hated the enduros. They washed out in corners for me, they did not grip, and for a stumpjumper they are way too big (that is the bike I rode them on). For the stumpjumper I loved the Roll X's and Fast Trak's (both tires were on the Stumpjumper).

G

·
i didn't like the Enduro's on my Enduro. they didn't have predictable corner handling and they roll so slow that you might as well be dragging an anchor.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My Stumpy HT had FastTraks, they were ok, pretty fast and decently grippy on the hard pack. If it got muddy or wet at all though, forget it, they didn't shed the mud at all and woudl slide all over the place. The Nevegal's I got to replace them were a lot better in this regards, and faster too.

My new Enduro came with the Enduro tires, and I agree with the poster above that they are crap. VERY, VERY slow and heavy, felt like I was pedalling a truck with those things on. On the plus side, they seemed to shed snow and mud pretty well (all over me though). Again, these were swapped for Nevegals and I'm MUCH happier.

I haven't tried the RollX's yet, but definitely want to.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
I 3rd that, on the Team Master and Control tires. Nevegals are my tire of choice right now. I wish the roll X's were a tad bit bigger. I was thinking of getting the Roll X's for my Yeti but they are 2.0's. I want to try them also but you can't beat the Neve's right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Spesh Tyres

I've never really got on with the Roll X and Enduro tyres that I've used on my Spesh bikes. I found that the Roll X's I had on my 2003 Rockhopper lacked bite on rooty trails and gave me little feedback of impending slippage. I replaced them with Panaracer Fire XCs and never regretted it for a minute.

The 2.2 Enduro tyres on my Enduro again lacked a good deal of feedback when compared to the Panaracer Cinder tyres I eventually swapped to. The Enduros lock up far too easily (and without warning) during sudden braking moments and are horribly draggy on hard surfaces.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,327 Posts
I've used the FastTrack 2.0, Roll-X 2.0, and Adrenaline 2.1 tires. I wore out the roll-x tires and decided to give the Adrenalines a try (I was in MI at the time). The adrenalines are an AWESOME tire for sand pits. The roll-x weren't too bad, but they picked up dry leaves, which makes you slide around in the sand. The adrenalines do roll pretty well, but they're a bit heavy when it comes time to go uphill.

When I moved to PA, I got the FastTracks. I like them better as a general use tire, and now I only use the Adrenalines when I ride extremely rocky or sandy trails.

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Which year/model?

Tarekith said:
Yeah, the Enduro's had like no feedback in them, next thing you know you're just sliding along the ground :)
I've been on a pair of 05 Enduro Pro 2.3's for over a year now. I replaced a pair of Fire XC Pro 2.1s with these and have been very impressed. Traction has been awesome all year round. Mud, roots, and, well, that's all there is here in the Pacific NW.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Enduro tires

On my 5 Spot, I am running a 2.4 Enduro 2Bliss front (you better have a good set of tire irons to get these mo fo's off and on) and 2.2 Enduro rear both in dual tread compund. I'm running these with Stans. Grip is outstanding climbing and cornering. They do roll a little slow but the control is outstanding. I'm running 25 psi fr/ 30 psi rear. I ride in So Cal with a mixture of hard pack and loose rocky terrain. I weigh about 160 with gear. I bought these on a Supergo close out for $22 ea. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
mechmann_mtb said:
i didn't like the Enduro's on my Enduro. they didn't have predictable corner handling and they roll so slow that you might as well be dragging an anchor.
Yeah, the gen 1 Enduros are really scary on the front in the wet... ok rear tire though.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason I started the thread was because I have a set of new Cinders collecting dust. I was trying to decide between keeping the Adrenalines on and wearing them out or to go ahead and stick on the Cinders.

My father-in-law picked up a Specialized Hardrock with the 2.2 Enduros. They are some of the slowest rolling tires I have ever felt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lumbee1 said:
The reason I started the thread was because I have a set of new Cinders collecting dust. I was trying to decide between keeping the Adrenalines on and wearing them out or to go ahead and stick on the Cinders.

My father-in-law picked up a Specialized Hardrock with the 2.2 Enduros. They are some of the slowest rolling tires I have ever felt.
I am running a cinder as a rear tire right now, and those tires are great as rear tires. They have better grip than the adrenalines for climbing, but prefer the cornering of the adrenalines, so I keep on in the front. I used to run a cinderers front and rear on my single speed and swapped them out for roll x pros. I liked the roll x's more than both the cinders and adrenalines as an overall use tire (great cornering, smooth, climbing traction, far better than both in sand).

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
Fast Trak 2.0 DS2 Pro

Fast Trak 2.0 DS2 Pro
I prefer them to any other tires I tried (Bontager, IRC Mythos XC, Panaracer Smokes)
I run those on my stumpjumper, they are very fast. I wish though they last more then 800 miles on the rear. They do not shed mud as easily but I will take speed over that anyday.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
I've ridden alot of tires over the years - from nearly every major manufacturer and I'm impressed with the Adrenalines. They aren't as fast rolling as the Roll-Xs, or other more shallow tread tires, but they offer just about the most predictable cornering of any tire I've ridden. You can find a tire that has more grip (deep bulky treads), but the Adrenalines offer a balance of grip and rolling resistance and you can lean them over with confidence - rarely wash out - except it really loose sandy soil where few tires can grip.

They wear out about as fast as any other tire. The center tread uses a harder tread compound so they wear fairly well.

It's a great all around trail tire. I've read great things about the Nevegals, tested them out, but haven't ridden them extensively.

Another tire that's a bit of a surprise is the WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4. Big volume, very fast rolling, and surprisingly predictable grip. Tire is pretty light, so the sidewalls are thinner than some.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.