Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tactic 3 helmet. Its light, fits great has good ventilation. Nothing special. Its been a few years and I thought maybe I should look into upgrading. Something lighter. Maybe a tad more protection as im going faster these days. And I see the Tactic 4 is released. Great right? Well i look at it and it just looks so odd to me. Looks like 2 helmets smashed together. Lol. Is it just me or is this a fugly helmet?!

Peripheral Input device Automotive design Font Electric blue

Peripheral Input device Font Gadget Electric blue

Bicycle helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Shorts Helmet Water

· Registered
15,066 Posts
Hideous.
I fail to see the point of a helmet that comes that far down on your forehead that's open face, makes no sense. Same with wrapping around that far back behind and down your head. That just doesn't seem like a vulnerable area giving the mechanics of our anatomy.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

· May contain nuts
2,608 Posts
Hideous.
I fail to see the point of a helmet that comes that far down on your forehead that's open face, makes no sense. Same with wrapping around that far back behind and down your head. That just doesn't seem like a vulnerable area giving the mechanics of our anatomy.

Agree. An open face should perch on the top of your head like an undersized toupee. Makes no sense to protect bony parts of the skull.

· Registered
15,066 Posts
Agree. An open face should perch on the top of your head like an undersized toupee. Makes no sense to protect bony parts of the skull.
I think it's a matter of diminishing returns. Givin the size of a rock or the Earth and the angles you're going to smack your head at what more percent coverage is realistically offered here?

That's forgoing real world circumstances of smacking your head hard with a foam helmet to begin with. You will end up with a TBI regardless.

· Registered
880 Posts
I like it. Obviously on looks alone of course, but it would appear they finally ditched the low visor and put some vents under it...may be a really good idea. Great occipital protection and... on "less serious" note, it looks like it's made for GoPro for those who don't want a chesty. I would give it a shot for sure. Specialized skid lids have also been a good fit for my noggin' over the years, better than most Giro's have fit.

· Registered
331 Posts
Yeah, I’m pretty sure the designed this with no data at all:)
It’s a helmet, not a hat.

Why would an impact not be an issue for your whole forehead or the back of your skulL? Why does it make sense to arbitrarily raise the front on the helmet? If doesn’t affect your line of site and its likely similar to where the Proframe, Invader and Stage helmets. It’s pretty much designed to give you maximum protection up to the point of a chin guard. I think it makes perfect sense. I’m pretty sure the data supports the need.

Hideous.

· Registered
15,066 Posts
My guess is the design is the result of tests to see how close an open face helmet could get to giving the protection of a full face, without getting too heavy, or giving up airflow.
My guess is marketing.

· Registered
331 Posts
I’m guessing you dont work in marketing then.

It’s a common conspiracy on the forums, but in the real world marketing might be responsible for overhyping or mis-positioning a product, rarely in an engineer based company do they have major input into the mechanical design of a project.

Beyond cost cutting to hit a target cost

My guess is marketing.

· Elitest thrill junkie
42,068 Posts
Sweet, a less effective visor. What will they think of next?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.