Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am in the market for a replacement for my 99 Joker (5" travel). Shopping the Turner, Titus, Ventana sites. But when I visited the Midwest MTB Summit...I got a chance to ride the new Specialized SXTrail...with the 5th el. rear and 66R front...sweet bike. I see it's touted as a light freeride / rugid duty trail bike...which seems right up my alley...but why did they spec boat anchors for wheels??? Bolt on rear??? 36 spoke??? Schraeder valves??? They resemble motorcycle wheels (or straight freeride) more than bike hoops. Any chance that Specialized would swap out for a QR rear and 32 hole hubs and rims before one of these babies left the factory?? I really...REALLY like this bike...but the wheels could botch the deal. Oh...and with the angles, it seems very climbable..is this true...or would I be better served just getting an standard enduro pro or expert?? I ride aggressive XC, like to jump and drop stuff (no more than 6') and occassionally enter a DH race in Wisconsin, Michigan, or Illinois (yes...we have hills and rocks). Gimme your 2 cents worth...

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
look at enduro expert/ pro

The fork goes in the boat anchor dept as well. If you're not into the abuse the sx trail is built to take, look instead at the enduro expert or pro. The 36 fork is getting great reviews and the bike weighs ~6 lbs less. I think tho if you're doing 6' drops on your current bike, a new bike might encourage you to go bigger, and that's when burlier components will be appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Actually the Pro weighs ~10lbs less! The major downfall of the trail is that it has heavy dual-ply tires and DH tubes plus the 66 fork. The wheels actually aren't very heavy, they are the same rim as the rest of the Enduro line. As far as the angles being good, the numbers in the catalog are inaccurate, the HTº is much more slack than 68.5º, more like 65-66º because of the super tall fork.

I have a 2005 Enduro and so far I love it. I bought the S-Works frame and built it up from scratch. I wanted something like the SX Trail but much lighter and equally strong. Obviously that means spending more money but the end result is well worth it for me since I climb a fair amount. My bike weighs 34lbs and I'm running essentially the Enduro Pro build but with Deemax wheels, an E.13 DRS, Hope M4 brakes, and other strong/light parts.

If I were trying to get similar results for less cash I'd buy the Expert and upgrade a few parts as needed or buy the Trail and swap the 66 fork for a Sherman Firefly (same 6" but pounds lighter and shorter for better geo) and change tires to the Enduro Pro 2.3's with regular tubes.

Here's a shot of mine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The 5th pedals very well but I am not a huge fan of platform type shocks in general. I think they feel sort of dead. I plan to go to a DHX air when they come out. My build weighs 34lbs but is bullet-proof and very solid.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
That'll null your warranty, so I've heard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.