Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RYAN E said:
Sorry to break your heart, but Specilaized is never going to make a 29er.
My hearts not broken by a bike company. They do make a good 29er tire, so how do you know they will not make a bike?

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
Specialized had better have widened their hubs and fork leg spacing. Otherwise they get a giant :prft: for introducing yet another proprietary front hub standard (25mm) for no reason. And for missing yet another opportunity to fix the wheel flex problem.

I see no mention of this in their literature about the E150 fork, either.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
El Caballo said:
Specialized had better have widened their hubs and fork leg spacing. Otherwise they get a giant :prft: for introducing yet another proprietary front hub standard (25mm) for no reason. And for missing yet another opportunity to fix the wheel flex problem.

I see no mention of this in their literature about the E150 fork, either.
What's the wheel flex problem?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I hear Mike Sinyard(sp) enjoyed my owners 29 Racer X that he kept and rode for several weeks. I wouldn't be suprised if something pops up down the line.

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NoWay Ray said:
Since the fork appears to have a some similiarites to the Maverick DUC32, perhaps it will be similiarly modifiable???
Unlikely, there is no clearance between the tire and fork brace. A 29er wheel would not fit.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Rumor mill

highrustler said:
Specialized is coming out with at least one 29er!

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156571
I've gotta say this first: That ridemonkey site has some annoying flash ads! :prft:

Okay, Specialized is rumored to be coming out with up to three 29"er models as soon as this fall or as late as '08, depending upon the rumor. Then there is the new tire that's supposed to be coming out, and now this fork rumor.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that bits of all of this contain some truth, but not all of it. As far as what they will or won't do, I say they are nuts to be selling a tire and not have a bike to put it on. I'm betting they hit the market with at least something in a 29"er before next spring. Just a guess on my part, but with the Cannondale Caffeine 29"er coming out in mid-September, and a slew of other "second tier" manufacturers about to unleash their own 29"ers, Specialized better get going, or the market stands a fair chance of being saturated before they even get off the starting line.

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
Go Kart Motzart said:
What's the wheel flex problem?
The more triangulation you have on your spokes, the less the wheel will flex, the stronger it will be, the less you will have to true it, and the less tension you will need to crank in when you do true it. The larger your wheel, the less triangulation, and the narrower your hub flanges (i.e. disc brakes), the less triangulation. This is basic physics.

At the other extreme from us, look at BMX guys: they're doing big drops to flat concrete all the time on $300 bikes, but their message boards aren't full of posts about how to true wheels or what wheels are less flexy. This is mostly because a 406mm wheel gets over 50% more strength from spoke triangulation. (Higher spoke density helps too.)

We could worry about wheels even less than BMXers do if we had a reasonably wide hub standard. But each time we've had an opportunity to fix the problem, the industry has dropped the ball and stuck with a standard that leaves us with wheels even weaker than a road bike.

Here is the long discussion thread about this issue:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=190125

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
El Caballo said:
The more triangulation you have on your spokes, the less the wheel will flex, the stronger it will be, the less you will have to true it, and the less tension you will need to crank in when you do true it. The larger your wheel, the less triangulation, and the narrower your hub flanges (i.e. disc brakes), the less triangulation. This is basic physics.

At the other extreme from us, look at BMX guys: they're doing big drops to flat concrete all the time on $300 bikes, but their message boards aren't full of posts about how to true wheels or what wheels are less flexy. This is mostly because a 406mm wheel gets over 50% more strength from spoke triangulation. (Higher spoke density helps too.)

We could worry about wheels even less than BMXers do if we had a reasonably wide hub standard. But each time we've had an opportunity to fix the problem, the industry has dropped the ball and stuck with a standard that leaves us with wheels even weaker than a road bike.

Here is the long discussion thread about this issue:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=190125
I understand the physics behind it, but my question was, is it a problem. I am close to 200 lbs., ride fairly aggressively and have never had a flex problem. Just curious if it's really a concern or not. I would think not.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I would say
Problem - no.
Concern - oh yeah

Why live with something that "sorta works", with attention to detail, good wheelbuilder etc, if if can be done properly at NO increased cost per unit, just taking on a new standard when having new forks, frames and hubs done?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Specialized 29er

For all of you that are adding to the rumor mill about 29ers from Specialized, I will confirm that the big S will indeed have 29er offerings for 08. Look for official information from Morgan Hill in the very near future. We should see a 29er Epic and Stumpy hardtail. :thumbsup: I would imagine that there may be one other offering in there as well, perhaps a single speed.

Also, for the post on the 25mm through axle, this is a better option than 20 mm, as a 25 mm through axle can made stiffer and lighter than its 20 mm counter part.

Lastly, the similarities of the Specialized fork to the maverick should come as no surprise. This is because Mike McAndrews is the suspension guru at Specialized, he was with Rock Shox, Fox, Maverick and others.

Enjoy

·
Registered
419 Posts
Velodude2112 said:
For all of you that are adding to the rumor mill about 29ers from Specialized, I will confirm that the big S will indeed have 29er offerings for 08. Look for official information from Morgan Hill in the very near future. We should see a 29er Epic and Stumpy hardtail. :thumbsup: I would imagine that there may be one other offering in there as well, perhaps a single speed.

Also, for the post on the 25mm through axle, this is a better option than 20 mm, as a 25 mm through axle can made stiffer and lighter than its 20 mm counter part.

Lastly, the similarities of the Specialized fork to the maverick should come as no surprise. This is because Mike McAndrews is the suspension guru at Specialized, he was with Rock Shox, Fox, Maverick and others.

Enjoy

great first post!

wow, it's almost like you work for Special Ed! :prft:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts