Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are your thoughts regarding the new Specialized sunglasses? I've seen ads fror them in magazines, and commercials featuring them on TV (OLN), but they are not on the Specialized website and there doesn't seem to be any good pictures of them. Any info (price, looks, where they are) whould be interesting.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
no prices but...

some info nonetheless. Plus other Spec stuff...

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1433

sgt_hedgehog said:
what are your thoughts regarding the new Specialized sunglasses? I've seen ads fror them in magazines, and commercials featuring them on TV (OLN), but they are not on the Specialized website and there doesn't seem to be any good pictures of them. Any info (price, looks, where they are) whould be interesting.

·
SS Madness
102 Posts
I bought them

They are great. $140. I have used many MTB glasses and they all fog up. These are the best so far. Light, great lenses, and as long as you are moving they do not fog...

·
Registered
970 Posts
we've got them in at work. i'll have to say i'm far from impressed. the looks are something like a pair of $10 sunnies from the service station. they're also trying to spin some BS about you don't need interchangable lenses as these lenses change to suit all light conditions, newsflash, everyone has personal preference, when some want dark lenses others want clear so do these new high tech lenses read your mind and adapt to that aswell. i don't think so. just spill the beans and get some rudy's

cya, john.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
They look nice, the light adaptation sounds great

I like how the glasses look, but still not Oakley. What would impress me is that they are suposed to adapt to the lighting conditions. But they take about 20 seconds to adapt (that's what Specialized says). I think thats too much time if you're in the open and head into the woods fast and there is a root in the first second or so. I still prefer clear glasses.

But I think it is a good product depending on the trail you're using.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had mine for two months now...

sgt_hedgehog said:
... and I think they're pretty good.

Price - I paid Australian $155 (after a 30% discount), so ~US$120. They normally retail for A$220, but hell, who pays full retail? :D

Tint Response - When I first ride out of dark shade and into full sunlight, I notice the lenses darkening up within 2 seconds (it's only minor and kind of feels like a cloud passing in front of the sun - but enough to take the edge off the glare nonetheless). The 20 seconds advertised by Specialized is probably what it takes to go from completely light to dark. Interestingly, soon after getting these glasses, I experimented by taking the visor off my helmet and I've kept it off since (the sunnies have done everything they're supposed to do, with no compromise to glare / comfort levels).

Venting - much better than my old sunnies, any perspiration drops that fall inside the lense evaporate in next to no time. I haven't yet ridden with them on a cold day yet (it's currently Summer in Australia), so hopefully they will work as well at preventing any misting.

Looks - this is subjective and entirely up to you. What I can say is that when I tried on the small size, the frame material partly impeded my field of view (peripherally). Hence, I opted for the larger size (that, plus the fact that I have a melon-head :D ) Oh, my sister reckons that I look like Bono from US wearing these glasses - sincere apologies to Bono and any U2 Fans :) .

Anything I don't like? Yeah, 'tho more of an oddity than a dislike - while riding in direct sunlight shadows of nearby trees etc seem to have a much darker shadow contrast than normal. That is, the shadows look they have been 'painted' on the ground with black paint - by no means a show stopper, but pretty weird huh?

I give them 4 flaming chilli's.

HTH,

Sam.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
I Like'em

They're great - no fogging while moving, nice and light. The tinting from light to dark is pretty quick and subtle - just enough to take the edge off, but not nearly as dark as standard sunglasses.

Overall I am very happy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re:

I am currently riding on the Singletracks in the mnts, and use thier new Arc's for the road. They work as advertised, within 20 seconds they can go from one end of color to the other. No fogging at all, great venting.
They seem to hold up very good as well, riding on them all season, no scratches at all.
Just my $.02

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
its just me....but ive used some bolle polorized sunglasses and my like best friend has those glasses and i tried them and the tint change thing isnt that drastic. my polerized bolles did just the same thing as those but without the tiny tint change.

i think that that is wayyyyyy too much to spend on a pair of sunglasses, i mean, seriously, you dont need lenses that change darkness every 2 freeking seconds. they are alot off hype.... but they do fit good, ill give them that. but that "transition lens" thing is a joke, you dont really need it.

but thats me, so take it or leave it.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Idon't know.

I've had mine about 4 months I guess and they fog up like crazy. I can't go 20 min without haveing to take them and put em in my pockett. Even if I just slow down like to go up they start fogging or G%d forbid stop to take a leak. Wht's up anybody got some kinda tips or something. I like the way they fit and all I just can't stand this fog crap.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
blackagness said:
I've had mine about 4 months I guess and they fog up like crazy. I can't go 20 min without haveing to take them and put em in my pockett. Even if I just slow down like to go up they start fogging or G%d forbid stop to take a leak. Wht's up anybody got some kinda tips or something. I like the way they fit and all I just can't stand this fog crap.
Mine fog if I stop - it is kinda irritating, but it is expected. A hot sweaty head next to a smooth convex surface will fog up.

I've always thought that using Rain-X's anti fog (the kind used for the inside of your car windshield) might work - I'll give it a shot and let ya know

·
6,360 Posts
Why didn't I think of that!

CHUM said:
Mine fog if I stop - it is kinda irritating, but it is expected. A hot sweaty head next to a smooth convex surface will fog up.

I've always thought that using Rain-X's anti fog (the kind used for the inside of your car windshield) might work - I'll give it a shot and let ya know
That's a really good Idea! Thanks...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Pledge anyone???

I used to ride my motorcycle in all weather. For plastic, Rain-X doesn't do much. I found that Pledge (wood polish spray) did very well and kept my visor looking like new. The only other solution I would consider would be adding "vents" at the top of the lens. Oakley has them on some lenses which I use for mountain biking. The vapor escapes through those holes at the top. Would be very simple using a Dremel or a small file, to just emove some of the plastic on the upper portion. ... but... bye bye warranty!

Johnnydrz

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Johnnydrz said:
I used to ride my motorcycle in all weather. For plastic, Rain-X doesn't do much. I found that Pledge (wood polish spray) did very well and kept my visor looking like new. The only other solution I would consider would be adding "vents" at the top of the lens. Oakley has them on some lenses which I use for mountain biking. The vapor escapes through those holes at the top. Would be very simple using a Dremel or a small file, to just emove some of the plastic on the upper portion. ... but... bye bye warranty!

Johnnydrz
They're vented, but if you're at a stand still they will fog (almost any glasses would). Never thought about Pledge...sounds cool

·
Registered
630 Posts
Spec shades

I mostly like mine. The adaptive lenses work very well on the trail and fit my head great but they fog like crazy even when grinding up hill slowly. I've yet to have a pair of glasses that wouldn't, but after reading about people that did not experience any fogging, I thought I'd throw my $.02 in. Overall the best riding glasses I've used including Oakley's. If someone figures out the solution to fogging glasses - run, don't walk to the patent office.

·
6,360 Posts
Apachee

I like that pledg idea too. This is prob pretty stupid but I could swear I read somewhere that those Spec glasses were somehow made from the same material as the Apachee helicopter windshield so I wonder if that rainex thing could still work... Naaaaa!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sorry... no fog for me!

Well, i got my Specialized glasses yesterday, (bought them from the classifieds right here!) and went for a ride last evening in the trails in Prevost (north of Montreal). It was real hot, I rode for 1.5 hours, never took them off and... no fog whatsoever. I have the Chicane model which are wide and fit me weird because I have a small head. Don't matter, I'm not in it for the looks anyway... too old for that... Vision is real good and the lens work well. No complaints. Yes, I sweat alot and I can sometimes steam up glasses. I won't be needing Pledge on these I don't think.

Thanks Isaac!

Johnnydrz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.