Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you used the Specialized sunglasses with the lenses that get lighter or darker depending on the light conditions? How well do they work?
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,784 Posts
Have them...

bicylemark said:
Have any of you used the Specialized sunglasses with the lenses that get lighter or darker depending on the light conditions? How well do they work?
.....wouldn't say they change too drastically like some of the prescription sunglass', but they work great for sunny days in/out of the trees etc. Would be nice if they made the same in yellow/amber for overcast/gloomy days aswell. :cool:
 

·
Bunny Hugger
Joined
·
217 Posts
They Do Come With Yellow Lenses.

JMac47 said:
.....wouldn't say they change too drastically like some of the prescription sunglass', but they work great for sunny days in/out of the trees etc. Would be nice if they made the same in yellow/amber for overcast/gloomy days aswell. :cool:
The Singletracks come with yellowish lenses. That's the mountain formula. You must have the rose lenses which come on the Cortina or other road formula glasses. I have both and can't decide which one I like better. The price was right at Supergo -- $50 -- so I bought one of each. :D ;) :cool:
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,784 Posts
Good to know

crashdang said:
The Singletracks come with yellowish lenses. That's the mountain formula. You must have the rose lenses which come on the Cortina or other road formula glasses. I have both and can't decide which one I like better. The price was right at Supergo -- $50 -- so I bought one of each. :D ;) :cool:
Have to check them out. Thanks.
 

·
pedal pusher
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
bicylemark said:
Have any of you used the Specialized sunglasses with the lenses that get lighter or darker depending on the light conditions? How well do they work?
I have them, in the summer they were great in and out of the tree's. But in the fall when its not as bright I prefer clear lenses when Im in the tree's, which around here where I ride is always. I have too many pairs of glasses, and maybe my eyes are just bad. They are great outside the tree's.

Sean
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
I just got a pair for Christmas but I haven't taken them on a ride yet.

The transition in the lenses seems to work pretty well, however. I'm anxious to try them on a sunny day on the bike.

I have the Half-Times.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,633 Posts
Been riding with mine for about 10 months now...basically they're GREAT!

Especially in Cali where the trails go from exposed fireroad to forest cover all the friggin time :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,065 Posts
I tried a pair and didn't like them. They just didn't get dark enough in bright sunlight. The range of darkness change didn't seem like very much to me.

On top of that, they really looked kind of dumb which, had they worked, wouldn't have been an issue at all.

I took advantage of the 30 day return policy and got my money back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Like em...

I bought a pair this summer, really like them. LIke others said, they don't seem to turn drastically dark in the sun (I am in southern Utah) but they must be doing something because it never seems like it is too bright, either. And riding in the trees up near Brian Head they react great going in an out of the shade.
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,784 Posts
Mmmmm Brian Head......

slow up slow down said:
I bought a pair this summer, really like them. LIke others said, they don't seem to turn drastically dark in the sun (I am in southern Utah) but they must be doing something because it never seems like it is too bright, either. And riding in the trees up near Brian Head they react great going in an out of the shade.
....one of the places I hope to hit in '06 to make up for the 5 months off the bike last year! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,744 Posts
I got the biggish ones (I forget the model). The lenses work as advertised. They don't look dark, but they seem to block the sun plenty well. And it's really nice not to be half blind when you ride under the trees on a cloudy day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
I just picked up a pair of singletracks and wore them around the house for a bit, but I think they look kinda weird, they are snug but don't fit the width of my head very well. Store also charged 189 CDN for them and I realised I got ripped off (much cheaper elsewhere) so they are going back tomorrow morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
I do.

I have the Chicanes. I totally love them.

Dark ENOUGH in the sun and they get nice and light in a few seconds when you get into the trees.

You know the difference between the prescription ones and these. Those have some sort of a film applied on them, thee have the heliomatic property built into the lens.

They 'react' faster.

(I see it's an old post - but hey, think the glasses are worth it ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,382 Posts
I noticed that both the Specialized and the new Oakley transitions never seem to get dark enough for me in the sun. Bummer, as it's a great idea that more or less works as you expect. My eyes are sensitive to really bright light though, and these just don't work so well for that.

YMMV
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
An update:

Since I've had my Half Times, I've taken them on many many rides and they never fail to impress me.

The only SLIGHT problem I have with them is every once in awhile a bit of mud will get flung up underneath the lens, but you'll have that with alot of glasses...
 

·
I'm a unitard!
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
Tarekith said:
I noticed that both the Specialized and the new Oakley transitions never seem to get dark enough for me in the sun. Bummer, as it's a great idea that more or less works as you expect. My eyes are sensitive to really bright light though, and these just don't work so well for that.

YMMV
Did you get a mountain bike version or a road version? The mountain bike versions are as a whole, a lighter tint.

I've been riding with mine (Chicane) for about a week now. I raced with them this past weekend. The best thing I can say about them is that I didn't notice them during the race.

The other thing is that it always seems like they are the same. Meaning whether or not you are in the sun or in the shade, your vision seems the same. To me that says they are working. The only time you can really tell the difference is if you are looking in the direction of the sun.

I give them one of these.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
nspace said:
I just picked up a pair of singletracks and wore them around the house for a bit, but I think they look kinda weird, they are snug but don't fit the width of my head very well. Store also charged 189 CDN for them and I realised I got ripped off (much cheaper elsewhere) so they are going back tomorrow morning.
Which store?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top