Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So, I've narrowed it down to two bikes I think.

Two local LBS's are selling these bikes in the size I need. I like both bikes but it really comes down to price I think. One LBS is willing to go down to $2099.00 on the Stumpy and the other store which won't work with me AT ALL on price (dicks) are selling the Trek Fuel EX 8 for $2399.00. Is the Trek worth the extra couple hundred? I know the stumpy is a KILLER bike but they both feel great.

I'm kinda leaning towards the stumpy because I'm a sales guy, and I like to work with a LBS that will work with me on price...its the gesture and I like doing business with those kind of people...on the flip side, I've heard that the Trek is better on trails/climbs/singletrack (which i'll be doing WAY more of) and the stumpy is better on downhill.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Maybe inferior sounded too strong. I just meant that I think the Trek is a little bit better. The way I see it is the Stumpy was not even in the running for that award.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Haha, yeah I guess other reviewers like other bikes. It could really be a toss up.

I was just thinking about my local Trek shop and it seems hoity toity. I reckon it would be annoying to work with them. Other bike shops are more laid back and greasy and cool.

I still vote for the Trek (I would buy used and bypass the shop).

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
If you could demo both bikes out on the trail that would probably help with the decision. The only real complaint with the Stumpjumper might be the flexy rear wheel which was mentioned in the Shootout. If I was to have to pick a bike that I could win a race with it would be the Stumpjumper. If I was looking at maybe a better ride down hill then maybe the EX. You cant go wrong with either bike but I would probably go with the shop that you think is willing to cut a deal and will support you down the road.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not that it makes that big of a deal, but Trek has the Pro Deal going right now that says that bike should be at least another $150 lower, although it does have a link to find participating dealers. Here's the link. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/pro_deal/#mountain

The Trek is about $150 more than the Stumpy on MSRP, so you'd think the final price would end up with the same difference between the two. Sorry to hear about your Trek dealer being uncooperative. My Trek dealer wheels and deals on everything. I haven't ridden the Stumpy, but I did have a Fuel, since upgraded to a Remedy, and think you can't go wrong there. Good luck. BTW, that burnt orange EX 8 sure is hot looking.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
Agent_ said:
I went to my Trek store yesterday and the EX 8 is $1999.
Dang, that's one hell of deal...

OP:
I was confronted with the same decision recently and went for the EX8. However, if those are the only two dealers around you, I would go with the Stumpy. I would not support the LBS that is not willing to work with you on a bike that will be replaced by it's 2010 successor very soon.

From everything I've read and looked at, they are both very nice bikes and either will be fun and capable.

I don't think you can make a wrong decision here. Just go with the LBS that doesn't try to dick you around.

·
Registered
157 Posts
See if there are any 08's around you also, I just picked up a 08 Stumpy for 1500 new, and two LBS had the 08 EX for 1750 and 1900.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
John Kuhl said:
Remember Trek has a lifetime warranty on the
frame. To me that is a big plus for Trek.

Best, John
Same goes for Specialized.

I don't think you can go wrong with either bikes. Whichever fits your body or has the color you like or has an LBS with great support is what I'd be basing things on.

Shoot, we have multimanufacturer's bikes on our group rides. No one bike stands out from another. Rider's fitness and skills do.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
traffic002 said:
Rider's fitness and skills do.
That is the best reply yet.

I used to AutoX and so many people where always concerned with what car people drive and how one is better than the other...
At the end of the day it was always the guys with the best skills that won and a lot of times they had a regular car or even an older beater.

You will be happy with either. Just get on it and practice/train and you will love it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i hated the trek fuel. i thought it felt like slobbery ass! one of my least favorite bikes ive ridden so far. i love treks roadbikes, thier whole mountain lineup feels wrong to me.

the tranceX is cheaper and much nicer.. giant builds them stock with really tall stems so it might feel ackward, try to get the lbs to drop the stem under the 5000000 spacers they come with to get a more realistic feel..

·
Registered
26 Posts
tomsmoto said:
i hated the trek fuel. i thought it felt like slobbery ass! one of my least favorite bikes ive ridden so far. i love treks roadbikes, thier whole mountain lineup feels wrong to me.

the tranceX is cheaper and much nicer.. giant builds them stock with really tall stems so it might feel ackward, try to get the lbs to drop the stem under the 5000000 spacers they come with to get a more realistic feel..
I wouldn't say I hated the EX8, but after riding the Trance X3 and EX8, I picked the Trance X3. After the Trek discount the EX8 was only $100 more than the Trance, but was a better buy. Even so, the Trance just felt right to me.

Take them both for a ride, not just around the parking lot, but find a few climbs and decents. I rode each bike on the same half hour loop before I bought.

Really, the only answer to any 'which bike should I buy' question is, "Ride them and pick the one that fits you the best."

·
Registered
832 Posts
Abp

My vote is for the Trek...as everyone else said its really up to the test ride and feel. However Trek primarily promotes the Full Floater rear suspension on the EX models. I have an 08 EX8 (and for talking price got it this time last year for 1700).

One thing on the trek that is not talked about as much is the ABP or Active Braking Pivot on the rear suspension. Long story short - see trek's site for full details' is that the ABP allows the rear susp to still work while not binding the rear brake. I find this suprisingly true. If you go downhill at all the faster the better especially in turns. Prior to this bike i found myself slowing way down for hairpin turns due to the bouncing rear wheel which was not in contact with the ground the whole time. Now with the EX8 I can sling around the turn, suspension still active keeping the tire on the ground and off i go.

again just ride them on the trail and pick which one you like the best!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im with jbsmith on the ABP.....it rocks. Im hitting sections of trail faster and better than ever before. The cornering is unbelieveable..im riding the top fuel 9.8 and its just point and shoot...the bike has a mind of its own, seems to flow down the trail and accelerates when I hammer the pedals!!!! I love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts