Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time with feeling! I had previously posted this in the Stumpjumper EVO HT thread. Only to be politely told... wrong thread... So here it is, back by popular demand, my first post in mtbr.

Long time listener first time caller here. Purchased my 2014 Stumpy AL HT about a week ago. Had them swap out the Formula brakes for SLX, converted to tubeless, and added the shimano m520's. I just got back from my first ride and I gotta say. Thank you research and this site. I love this bike! Climbs, descends, and all around rides like a dream. For years I rockhopped it on a bike that was way too small, my background is BMX ~ late 70's early 80's ~ and road racing ~ early 80's ~. Nice to be back on a bike that fits. I'll post some pics in the future. Thanks again to this forum. I dig all the opinions. Remind me not to mention clipless vs platform or FS vs HT, or Carbon vs Aluminum. Big Bang forbid I should make a mistake on a post! (your, you're)

Basque.jpg

This pic is from one of my last rides. It doesn't come close to capturing the thousands of sheep that were on the trail that day. Here in Boise we're home to more Basque folks that anywhere outside of Europe. What does this have to do with sheep? Well that I'll let you look up. But if your (ha!) correction you're ever in Boise come visit the Basque block. Have some wine, some food, some fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats. How much did the brake swap set you back? I'm leaning towards doing the same thing on a 14 SJ FSR.
$180 for the swap. I bought the bike during the spring sale, $185 off MSRP so I made money by swapping the brakes. At least that is what I tell myself.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes I got kicked off that thread with my 2 aluminum 29er Stumpjupers too! Best bike and what more do you need. Simplicity rules.

·
little mad riding hood
407 Posts
I picked up a cheap n cheerful closeout deal on a base model '13 Stumpjumper Comp about six months ago and aside from swapping out the seatpost and stem for a set of carbon ones I happened to have spare, it's bone stock. As of this season it's got about twice the mileage on it than my top of the line XX/XO Jet 9 RDO. It's more fun and playful in most of the trails I ride (I'm an XC rider who avoids super tech and climbs a lot of hills) and it weighs roughly the same. Not to mention I made the mistake of trying to DIY re-cabling the Niner with its notoriously fiddly silly under BB mounting issues, didn't get it exactly right and paid the price with a busted chain on my last ride out.

now if only the SJ had come with a thruaxle front I'd swap the nicer wheelset over onto it and be even happier.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yep I had an Intense Spider Carbon 29er that literally made every trail seem like I was sitting on my living room couch watching a video game. Sold it and ride nothing but my two Specialized 29er hardtails. Gone there, done that, never want another dual suspension 29er unless I am blasting down technical hills in a race which isn't going to happen anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts