Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a Specialized Bike soon and im not sure what one to get.

What do people reckon. Stumpjumper? FSRxc? or Epic?

Please let me know what you think.

·
EDR
10,426 Posts
It will help if you tell people what you want to do with this new bike.

For example, if you want to ride difficult technical terrain then a race bike like the Epic would be a horrible choice. On the flip side if you want to do xc races or just blast groomed singletrack then it would be a fine choice.

Much more info is needed.

·
Banned
176 Posts
I test rode both of them recently on a Specailized test day. Both ride great and shift like butter. The Epic was a more aggressive and stretched out riding postion and the FSR XC felt more comfy/upright and was more affordable. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think it breaks down like this (assuming you mean 2010 models):

Epic is for xc/trail use, long distance and also a keen racer, it is designed with steep angles for good climbing and has 100mm front and rear usually tipping the scales from 21 - 26lb

Stumpjumper is your out and out trail bike that will take the most rider abuse but get you to the top of any hill. It has 140mm front and rear and will weight from 23 - 29lb

FSR XC is like the middle ground between the two, it has like the stumpy upped its travel for 2010 so its more of an all round trail bike. This bike is the affordable trail bike in the range and usually weights 27 - 31lb.

As Eatridedrink stated we need to know what you ride and what you expect to do on the bike to offer advice. More importantly there isn't any advice on here that will substitute a good demo on all three if you need to figure out which is best suited to you. You might prefer the angles of the epic for trail riding, who knows that's the beauty of individualism :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeh thanks for all your help. I am more of an xc rider though and i thought the Epic was a bit to expensive for me, however the FSR xc to me seemed a good bike, price wised and also built wised.

Sadly in Australia we dont have Specialized Bike days were you can test them out.

I will use it more for racing and also for just basically riding on single track and technical trails etc

·
think
853 Posts
Being that this is the all mountain forum I'd say all those bikes suck. (sorry, not entirely your fault...people in general think that the AM forum is some sort of "catch all" for their questions.)

However in between those options for an XC/race bike the epic is the clear winner. For the most part I think the FSRxc has too many compromises to make its price point. With that kind of coin you are probably better off with a hardtail. The Stumpjumper isn't a bad bike but it's not nearly as good of a race bike as the Epic. The new Epic 29er is a pretty nice bike. That'd be the way to go I think.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It depends what you want to do with the bike. The Epic is a XC racer. The FSR is a trail bike that can really do it all. I have an FSR Expert and I really like it . It is great in all conditions. I have raced it but if I were more into racing I would go for the Epic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.