Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know if anybody has ever build this bike up to be a light weight racer?

When looking at Starbike I couldn't find the real frame / rear shock weight.

I would love to see a photo, weight and price of your bike.

Thanks! Hope you ride today!
Craig

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pics are on my other computer, but I have raced the Stumpy FSR Expert (2004) for a couple of years. My main upgrade has been some American Classic wheels. They dropped almost 2 pounds off the bike. It weighs about 25.5 lbs right now, with real tires (Nevegals).

Perfect bike for Sport class...if you race expert / elite, you might want a 20lb hardtail.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's still a FSR, move the parts build over and you might come out close or better.

-Calibrated scale--22.44 lbs - 10.18 Kg
-02 FSR S-Works w/Pushed rear shock
-04 RS Sid Team custom oil tuning
-American Classic Disc / Velocity VXC / Wheelsmith 32h
-American Classic Cro-mo Skewers
-American Classic Ti BB 107mm with Grease injection filled
-American Classic Cranks 175 2x9 44/30
-American Classic Bottle Cage
-King Headset, ti cap bolt
-Control Tech Road Stem
-Easton EC90 Flat Bars
-Titec Foam grips
-SRAM 9.0sl shifters
-Nokon Cables Black and Silver mixed
-03 Magura Marta Discs
***Side note AL rotors or Stainless for muddy events
-Thompson Seatpost
-Flight TT
-XT E-Plate Front Der
-SRAM X.9 Rear Der
-XTR M960 12-34 cassette
-Dura-Ace Chain
-03 Egg Beaters originals non-Ti
-Continental Explorer Supersonic Front
-Continental Twister Supersonic Rear
-Stan's No Tubes, 2 scoops front and rear

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FSR VS Stumpjumper

Hey Skullman -

Thanks for the photo and the parts list. I think the FSR is significantly lighter than the stumpjumer 100. I used to have the FSR,but when the frame cracked Specialized graciously sent me the Stumpjumper 100. Maybe their early attempt at a trail bike? I had to take off the Rockshox 80mm SID, becuase it was to sketchy on the decents, so that adds another pound with 100mm travel.

Again Thanks!
Craig

·
Registered
774 Posts
24 lbs even

I built my friend up a FSR anniversity edtion with al XTR stan's oylmpic disc hudi 240 etc
and it weights 24.13 lbs check your PM and i will send you the spread sheet with the complete build up ! I just built a FSR 120 with brain Remote to 24.8 lbs with a 130mm Revelation fork incredable bike !! I havn't rode my Race bike in two weeks sincew I finished it ! at that's a 22# Orbea Oiz with 3" rear 4' front the FSR rocks !!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
mopartodd said:
Man! That's as light as my hardtail!

I gotta ask how much you weigh though.
My steel hardtail single is only a pound lighter :confused:

I'm 144lbs. So there's another reason.:)

I still had plenty of weight to loose on that bike, SID worldcup, Stan's olympic rims, alloy nipples, triple ti eggs, lighter post, lighter stem, maybe the saddle.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
*update*

I weighed my bike on a good digital scale today. 27.8 lbs!! Holy Fark! When did I put on 2 lbs?!?

Okay, I have heavy-ish pedals, 550g 2.1 tires (with LunarLite tubes) and LX hollowtech2 cranks (with alu rings and alloy cr bolts), WTB Laser DH saddle (comfy and 250g or so) and a cheapo cassette (sick of wearing out $70 XT cassettes every year).... so that added a some weight, but two pounds?!?

·
Registered
833 Posts
While I race an hardtail in classic cross-country events , I prefer my
Stumpy (upgraded Expert) for long distance races in the Alps (3 to 4
hours with a lot of climbing and long, rocky descents). Those events
require less sprinting and more pacing, On the climbs, I feel no bob
in the propedal mode, and in technical section I often pass hardtail
riders. On top of the climbs, I just switch the shock lever to full
flow and sit and relax, passing lots of hardtails riders that bounce
down the trail.
My stumpy is about 11.5kg now (25.5lbs), with race tires. I currently use a Continental Exporer Pro in the rear (the Supersonic are very susceptible to rock damage) and Nobby Nic in front, tubeless converted.
The stock rear wheel, seatpost , stem and bar and cassette are really heavy.However, considering all the upgrades, I still spent much less than buying any overpriced “boutique bike” of similar travel.
fab

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a completely stock 06' stumpy fsr pro (around 26 lbs). I would like to drop a solid one pound off the bike. I don't want to change the pedals, seat, or fork. Everything else is fair game. I am looking for simple easy upgrades or large upgrades that can drop a lot of weight in one big step. One thing I thought of is I probably get away with chopping off a good 50 mm off the stock thomson seat post to save a little weight and add a lighter seat clamp.

I am just not sure what components on this bike are really heavy and would really benifit in significant weight loss.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys may have.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am referring to the SJ Expert build .I am not sure about your (Pro) stock wheelset but I would start by replacing it (complete wheelset or rear only: mine was spec'ed with a super heavy deore hub) , the bar, cassette and seat/seatpost. The seat alone is 280grams!
good luck

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I wouldn't bother...

klondike1024 said:
I have a completely stock 06' stumpy fsr pro (around 26 lbs). I would like to drop a solid one pound off the bike. I don't want to change the pedals, seat, or fork. Everything else is fair game. I am looking for simple easy upgrades or large upgrades that can drop a lot of weight in one big step. One thing I thought of is I probably get away with chopping off a good 50 mm off the stock thomson seat post to save a little weight and add a lighter seat clamp.

I am just not sure what components on this bike are really heavy and would really benifit in significant weight loss.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys may have.
... with chopping the Thompson post. Not a lot to be shaved there... maybe 15-20g or so at best.

I would suggest the usual things (and prolly nothing you have not heard before), tires, innertubes, rim strips, etc to start.

That thing is really 26 lbs bone stock?!? Dang, I must be doing something serisouly wrong with my bike at nearly 28 lbs. I may as well paid money to add weight, I'm starting to think. You folks are gonna revoke my Weight Weenie card.

·
Registered
196 Posts
pimpbot said:
... with chopping the Thompson post. Not a lot to be shaved there... maybe 15-20g or so at best.

I would suggest the usual things (and prolly nothing you have not heard before), tires, innertubes, rim strips, etc to start.

That thing is really 26 lbs bone stock?!? Dang, I must be doing something serisouly wrong with my bike at nearly 28 lbs. I may as well paid money to add weight, I'm starting to think. You folks are gonna revoke my Weight Weenie card.
26 lbs sounds right for the "Pro" model. It has a very nice spec...I have the "Expert" model and it had a lot of mid-level parts which made it 27.5 lbs stock.

I wouldn't change a thing to that bike. It has 5" travel, big tires, disc brakes, and a stable platform. All these things add weight. You could save a pound with the right wheelset, but it will be expensive. Try the AC wheels - mine weigh 1490g.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I really appreciate the responses.
Here is what I am working with for stock wheels as described stright from specialized's website...

TUBES Specialized Ultralight 26x2.0", presta valve
REAR TIRE Specialized Resolution Pro 26x2.0", aramid bead, dual compound, 120 TPI
FRONT TIRE Specialized Resolution Pro 26x2.0", aramid bead, dual compound, 120 TPI
SPOKES DT Swiss Super Comp, 2.0/1.7/1.8mm butted, alloy nipples
REAR HUB DT Swiss Custom SL disc, 32 hole
RIMS Mavic X717 disc, 26", black, welded seam, eyelets
FRONT HUB Specialized Stout disc, sealed cartridge bearing, high/low flange, 32 hole

Since I am not familiar with the weights of this stuff i am not sure what wheel set would give a significant weight reduction.

Thanks!

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Your wheels seems fine - you coud save a little inthe rims (by getting stans rims) and a little in the hubs.. but with the amount of weight saved it would be a waste of money IMO.

I"m surprised to see that your wheels came stock with supercomp spokes and alloy nips - nice tough! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thomson post per mm weight 30.9 mm post .475 g / mm

pimpbot said:

I cut my 30.9mm setback post off 80 mm and it saved 38 grams so for easy numbers its

.5 : 1/2 gram per mm this is about the sane as steer tubes & carbon bars are all 1/2 gram per mm cut.

·
Registered
31 Posts
bike_freak said:
Your wheels seems fine - you coud save a little inthe rims (by getting stans rims) and a little in the hubs.. but with the amount of weight saved it would be a waste of money IMO.

I"m surprised to see that your wheels came stock with supercomp spokes and alloy nips - nice tough! :thumbsup:
So maybe swapping wheels will not give me a significant weight loss worth justifying the cost. If that is the case, where would you look to drop weight next?

I thought of tires, or maybe gonig tubeless but i don't want wimpy tires that have wimply casing. So as long as the tires are actually better and give a little weight savings then I would consider them.

Any other ideas of places to check out for weight loss?

Thanks.

·
monster member
1,185 Posts
I don't know, it looks like you may be close to the point of having to give up some downhill quality to reduce weight further. You mentioned you don't want wimpy tires, so you probably don't want overly flexy cranks, stem, forks, etc. either. Good downhill performance (rigidity) can only get so light.

Do you have SPD pedals that you'd be willing to ditch for egg-beaters? (Just asking... I like SPD).

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah....

craig said:
26 lbs sounds right for the "Pro" model. It has a very nice spec...I have the "Expert" model and it had a lot of mid-level parts which made it 27.5 lbs stock.

I wouldn't change a thing to that bike. It has 5" travel, big tires, disc brakes, and a stable platform. All these things add weight. You could save a pound with the right wheelset, but it will be expensive. Try the AC wheels - mine weigh 1490g.
I could loose some weight in the wheelset. I'm running Bontrager Mustang Disc rims with Hope XC hubs. I'm not sure the Hope XCs are significanly lighter than Shimano XTs. A bit, but not a lot. My worry is that I'm not a light guy. I ride fairly lightly, but I do pop the occasional spoke and nipple. I need a wheelset that can at least take a small amount of abuse.

I put my light pedals on my race hardtail bike, and am using common heavy Wellgo SPD pedals, that's 70g right there. I put my WTB Laser DH saddle on. 250g isn't bad, but my weenie Aireon saddle is 180g. That's 70g right there. I got a medium weight seatpost, and I can loose another 50-70g right there. Hutchinson Scorpion tires... there is 70-80g each tire right there by putting my Karmas back on. I have a lead weight cheapo cassette on there, going back to an XT will loose 80-100g.

Okay, maybe I'm not that far off the mark.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.