Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is in the market for a dualie and has settled on the Stump FSR. We ride mostly XC and trail-bike type stuff with a good number of long climbs. He weighs around 190-200. Is the Stump with 100mm of rear travel enough, given weight and sag? Is he better off with the 120mm, even though it will probably bob more on the climbs, etc.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stumpy FSR

lawhoo said:
A friend of mine is in the market for a dualie and has settled on the Stump FSR. We ride mostly XC and trail-bike type stuff with a good number of long climbs. He weighs around 190-200. Is the Stump with 100mm of rear travel enough, given weight and sag? Is he better off with the 120mm, even though it will probably bob more on the climbs, etc.?
Go with more travel, travel is your friend.

I have a 2003 Stumpjumper FSR 100mm rear travel and presently am 180 lbs, there are times (not too often) that I bottom the sucker out and would like a bit extra travel. We ride mostly XC stuff too with the odd little dirt jump or log pile on trails that lately instead of riding over, gets jumped over, hence the extra travel.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
lawhoo said:
I have the '05 fsr 100, and I like it a lot! I run about 180-185, and ride pretty much straight XC.

I have two minor complaints - I don't know if they apply to the 120: The BB is low - I'm smacking pedals a lot more than I used to, and; the front end has a tendency to lift off the ground when climbing. I adjusted to it and have learned to use it to my advantage, but you do have to put your weight into the handlebars more than you would normally expect.

If your friend is into slightly more aggressive riding, the 120 wouldn't be a bad idea (it was out of my target price range). Bobbing shouldn't be an issue - the Fox Septune shock has a range of propedal settings, and I expect it has lockout as well.

Either way, your buddy won't be disappointed! The Stumpjumpers are beautiful bikes, and a lot of fun to ride!

P.S.: you might want to crosspost this to the Specialized board.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I love my new SJ FSR 100. I weigh 185-190 lbs. ride mostly straight XC. Like drewdane said, if he's a little more aggro, then more travel the better. but the 100 seems to suit me perfect.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You may get more repplies if you move this to the specialized board.

I have a 120 and love it. I never rode a 100. A couple of comments.

1). The bottom bracket is still very low. I have a bash guard on mine and I end up hitting the bash gaurd and the peddels often. Once in a while it causes my shoe to become disconnected. If I didn't have the bash guard my large chain ring would get mangled on rock ledges. I Love the way the bike handles and climbs, I am not sure but suspect that some of that is the low bottom bracket.

2) The Septune does not have a lockout. It has seven levels of pro pedal plus a full open position. Seven levels is overkill. Some people feel even at the stiffest setting there is more bob then with the RP3 shock. I don't have a bob problem. I don't think I would use a lockout if it had one.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
baycat said:
What are the weights on the FSRs? IS there much difference between the 100 and 120 in components, besides the shocks and forks?
My '04 stumpjumper FSR 100 weighed 31.5lb with a full water bottle in the cage. I think there are lots of places to shave weight, but as is this one is way lighter than my last FS clunker.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
I have a Stumpumper FSR 100 '04. It's very nice, I ride XC and some trails are very technical. I love my bike, I think it has a good travel, but, honestly, I would love to try the 120.

Actually, the 120 is on higher Stumpjumper configurations, so you will get better components (and will cost more).

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
lawhoo said:
I went from a fully rigid bike to an 04 Stumpy FSR Expert (100 mm). At first I thought that 4" was a lot of travel. After less than a year, I'd love to have 5" - lot's of rocky downhill where I ride. The trend seems to be toward more and more travel. I think trek dumped the small travel Fuels because of the trend. So, I'd go for the 120 if you can afford it. The Talas fork has adjustable travel for the long climbs. I'm not familiar with the neptune, but propedal on the triad works fine for climbs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hemmed and hawwed between the SJ 100 and the SJ120. I ended up with the SJ100 expert disc. I'm sure I'd have been happy with either one. But I heard such good things about the fox triad's pedalling efficiency that I thought that was more important to me than an extra inch of travel.

I can't believe how well this thing pedals. When I took it for a test ride, I swore it was locked out until I hit something to activate it.

Here are some weights for comparison... My '05 18" SJ HT disc weighed in at 25.5 pounds. My '05 medium SJ 100 expert disc weighed in at 28.5 pounds.

Don't worry about losing travel to sag. The sag is set up to be the same for 90 pounds riders and 300 pound riders. It's typically set up to be 1/4 the shock's stroke regardless of your weight.

So the bottom line? Ride both, pick the one that feels better. They are both great bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.