Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past few weeks ive been looking into buying a new hardtail for xc riding (mostly singletrack and fire roads) and looked at quite a few bike choices i have made my decision and just need some extra assurance

As the title say i plan to buy the '05 specialized stumpy its going for $1299USD at my local lbs i think its a decent price since the msrp is $1500USD

I would like to know everyones opinion on this bike bad or good i tried looking for reviews on mtbr but there werent to many and if there is better bikes out there for the same price

the two things that sold me on this bike were the fox80rlt fork and the weight which is 25 lb

u can check out the specs at this site and see what ya think http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBk...ikeTab=techspec

·
Registered
308 Posts
mgomez41 said:
So for the past few weeks ive been looking into buying a new hardtail for xc riding (mostly singletrack and fire roads) and looked at quite a few bike choices i have made my decision and just need some extra assurance

As the title say i plan to buy the '05 specialized stumpy its going for $1299USD at my local lbs i think its a decent price since the msrp is $1500USD

I would like to know everyones opinion on this bike bad or good i tried looking for reviews on mtbr but there werent to many and if there is better bikes out there for the same price

the two things that sold me on this bike were the fox80rlt fork and the weight which is 25 lb

u can check out the specs at this site and see what ya think http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBk...ikeTab=techspec
I have an '04 Stumpy Comp HT disc, so the components will be different, I am sure. But the frame hasn't changed that much. I LOVE my bike. I wrote a review of it, I like that bike so much. The Wheelset is better than mine was stock (I had 223s) and I had Hydraulic Discs instead. I would say look at a Thomson Seatpost when you have a chance and get a QR seat post collar ASAP. I was bending the bolt in mine, so I got a QR and that solved a lot of problems. And if you are doing a lot of trail, think about a 100mm travel fork sometime down the road, if you can't get it swapped on in the first place!

Long story short. That bike is worth the coin you are about to throw down.

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
mgomez41 said:

1. Your link does not work. Not a big deal I think I found the right bike on specializeds wesite.

2. The fork appears to be a fox 80 RL. Still a good fork.

It has a fairly solid component grouping - Avid mechanical discs, Fox fork, XT crankset. Rims and hubs are fairly solid, although some people have had bad experiences with the specialized stout front hub. Mine has treated me well for a number of years.

As for other Hardtails there are plenty in that price range. Pretty much any brand has a hardtail in that price range. Others I would consider checking out for size/feel would be Trek and Giant just to name a few. All will have similar components, will come down more to fit, and if you like the LBS.

TJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.