Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Stumpy Expert 29 and it came with a SRAM s2200 38/24 2x10 crank. BCD is 104/64. I'm looking to replace the rings (possibly the whole crank for a good deal). BB is PF30. The rings are sold out on Specialized website. Any info on how to obtain the rings?

I've checked eBay, pinkbike, and mtbr classifieds for weeks to no avail. I know I could just buy XX or XO or FSA cranks but the price jumps big time compared to replacing rings.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Roll on....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Had similar issue

I didn't care for the gigantic 38T ring. My 2011 Stumpjumper Elite has the same crankset.

If you have a direct mount front derailleur (I am guessing you do) , then it is designed specifically for the chainring combo that came on your bike (38T/24T)

I found this out when replacing my 38T with a 32T Race Face ring . Front shifting was terrible because the SRAM x7 derailleur cage was designed for the 10 speed combo 38T/24T .

I ended up installing a 34T 104BCD Race Face ring, Race Face Lite Bash Guard, and changing the front derailleur to a SRAM X9 3 speed derailleur, S1 direct mount. The derailleur works flawlessly, as it is made to shift mid-range rings around 32T. The cable pull is the same, so it works with the SLX shifter on the bike. I locked out the third position using the high limit screw, and the SLX front shifter that came on my 2011 Stumpjumper Elite is 2 position anyway.

If you ahve you heart set on the 38T/24T ring combo in 104BCD, call SRAM and threaten them. Specialized has replacement ringsets with spiders at $175. That's just wrong.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Believe it or not you can't use an FSA chainset, according to specialized anyway (http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/english-new/assets/pdf/Bottom-Bracket---Oversized-MTB-Bottom-Bracket.pdf), i know they do bb30 chainsets but not pf 30 as far as i can tell, Sram have new 22/36/bash and 24/38/bash chainset combos coming out for 2012 in 104/64 bcd so i expect replacement rings to become available soon, there are also new specific front mechs for these new ring combos in x7 and x0.
Hope that helps, Ben.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.