Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Have any of you used the Specialized sit bone measuring system? I think they call it the Ass-o-meter or something like that....it basically measures your sitbones and then recommends a seat width for you.

Anywho, I'm wondering how effective it is in quickly finding a saddle that works for you.

I've been a long time Selle Italia Flite user....but most of mine are worn out and I'd like to try something new before a commit to buying a whole fleet of new flites.

B

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey there,

I've been riding one of the specialized saddles that was fitted for me using the "ass-o-meter". I use it for daily commuting on my crosscheck and I also used it for two separate tours from Portland to SF and SF to San Diego the past two summers respectively. Its a comfy fit for me and most importantly I haven't had any soreness or numbness in the "sensitive areas" if you know what I mean.

Dan.

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
I've used it and it seems like a great idea, so simple. I have a couple saddles and they do fit well. In the past I had always used narrower saddles. It's ok with some of them, but for the most part, the slightly wider saddles I've been using are really decent.

Definitly worth a try. I find that many shops will let you test a saddle at home if you are careful to tape the rails so there aren't any marks or signs of use. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I was measured up

and the saddle for me was the widest model. They let me try it out. And I must admit, it was super comfortable. I could feel my sit bones sitting right where they were supposed to. But then once I hit the down hill and needed to get behind my seat I found that my inner thigh was hitting the sides of the seat and I couldn't get behind it without bowing my legs out like some kind of ballerina. So anyhow I took it back and am currently riding a rocket v which is nice. I think I might try a laser v next, they look a little wider.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Very comfy result for me.

donkey said:
...Have any of you used the Specialized sit bone measuring system? I think they call it the Ass-o-meter or something like that....it basically measures your sitbones and then recommends a seat width for you.

Anywho, I'm wondering how effective it is in quickly finding a saddle that works for you.

I've been a long time Selle Italia Flite user....but most of mine are worn out and I'd like to try something new before a commit to buying a whole fleet of new flites.

B
Was measured for the widest saddle for my road bike. Longest ride is around 4 hours or so and it has been comfy. Very sensitive to saddle height adjustments for me. If i adjust the saddle a wee bit high, my inner thighs get uncomfy.

Have not tried them on my MTB cause I have never had a problem with my Bonty Ti FS model.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I've used it and have two of the Specialized Saddles. It was fairly easy to use, pretty self explanatory. If I remember correctly there are only 3 saddle widths. I had to sit on my index fingers though to make sure I found the right spot where the sit bones were - but it was pretty obvious which saddle I needed - the skinny one.

FWIW though - I picked up some Assos F1 Mille shorts this season as I spent long hours on the road bike. This last weekend I raced the Breck 100 but the bike I used had an el cheapo Performance saddle on it. I thought about changing out to the Specialized saddle for the race - but in the end got lazy and just wore the shorts. Didn't notice or feel the usual pressure points I get from this el cheapo saddle. The shorts also took care of any issues I had with my roadie saddle as well.

I like the Specialized saddles - but I'm wearing the Assos for enduro rides from now one. To me that's the key.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
donkey said:
...Anywho, I'm wondering how effective it is in quickly finding a saddle that works for you...

B
Not sure how useful it would be for picking a non-Specialized saddle.

·
moe.
371 Posts
I have a couple of the wide Specialized

saddles - I think its called Alias? on my ss and freeride bike. On my gearie I have the Selle Italia Flite Gel and I love the natural leather on it. The problem with the Specialized is that the saddles are vinyl with stitching on the saddle to help provide friction. I like the waid S saddle on my free ride bike but the narrower flite would better on my ss. The point it that I think it depends on what type of riding your doing.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
shiggy said:
Not sure how useful it would be for picking a non-Specialized saddle.
Why is that? Most saddles have a published width, or you can just measure it. And width is width I assume. Or is there something about the location of padding or the profile of the saddle that changes things?

I'm also curious about the ass-o-meter, but not too jazzed by Specialized's saddles. Good Q donkey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts