Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time in two months I've snapped my rear derailleur hanger on my S-Works Epic 29er. I have it built up XTR 10 speed. Both times I was downshifting and felt a slight bind and before I even had time to let up, SNAP. There goes the derailleur hanger. Both times I didn't feel as I put enough pressure to snap the hanger and in over a decade of mountain biking I've never had this happen on another bike. The first time, it almost cost me my day at Leadville (luckily I brought a spare hanger), this time it's costing me a new derailleur and a couple of spokes.

I'm wondering if the problem has to do with the hanger design. They designed the carbon rear end so that the derailleur hanger is attached by only a single bolt bolt that drops through at the back of the rear triangle instead of the traditional design that attaches to the back of the triangle. The bolt is hollow and I imagine they designed it that way so it snaps before your damage your frame. However, I think they may have made the bolt just a little bit too fragile.

Has anyone else had this problem with the S-Works Epic 29er?

·
Registered
711 Posts
It happened on my 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp yesterday. It looks like a spoke caught the cage and snapped the hanger. I don't know if my adjustment was a bit off or the derailleur got tweaked at some point during the ride but I can definitely see where a spoke grabbed it.

·
GONE
27,404 Posts
Speculation:

Can anyone confirm or deny that Specialized hangers are different or the same on alloy frames vs. CF frames???

I wouldn't be suprized if there were CF specific hangers that are designed to break away easier. It's either the hanger breaks or the frame is put under undo stress....but to break two hangers w/o making contact is really unusual. Perhaps are bad chain or sticky der. pulleys?

Have you contacted Specialized??? I'd be very interested in what they had to say about this one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had 3 shimano derailleurs catching on the spokes and break with in a few months of eachother and I was very unhappy with the response from the local bike shop that "fixed" the bike each time, Specialized and Shimano. They all said "It's just bad luck" and "You will have to pay for the full repairs and labour costs".

I think it is a design flaw.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
Basically it is doing it's job. It is there to sacrifice itself for the longevity of the derailleur and chainstay. HOWEVER, it sholdn't be breaking without a sufficient force. My hanger (SW 29er) has been absolutely fine with over 1,000kms under it's belt.

However I have the XX rear derailleur, with an 80mm cage. The obvious downside of the "Shadow" Shimano derailleur is that it sits very close to the spokes. Throw in a long-cage as well and you probably won't have a lot of tolerance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same thing happened to my 29er epic comp 2011. Snapped the hanger bolt on the way down a hill under no load. I was going fast so the damage was significant. Bent the chain and cracked the pully on the deraileur. I have never broken a hanger before so I do think that this is a design flaw especially since they changed the design in 2012.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes..

Not sure about being flawed in terms of breakage but, it is flawed in the way it attaches to the dropout allows it to turn or pivit under load. This can lead to shilfing issues. The 2012 hanger has been redesigned to fix this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rear mech hanger bent spec epic

I've had the same issue for 8 years now costing me about £1000 in repairs of new rear wheels, chains, 4 freehubs, 4 new dt swiss bolt through skewers, 4 rear mechs etc. I've just emailed specilaized on facebook to ask them what their warranty policy is on this.

Can anyone confirm or deny that Specialized hangers are different or the same on alloy frames vs. CF frames???

I wouldn't be suprized if there were CF specific hangers that are designed to break away easier. It's either the hanger breaks or the frame is put under undo stress....but to break two hangers w/o making contact is really unusual. Perhaps are bad chain or sticky der. pulleys?

Have you contacted Specialized??? I'd be very interested in what they had to say about this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.