Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have an S-Works Epic 2009 carbon frame, size medium.

I was wondering about the minimum seatpost insertion lenght for choosing a seatpost?

I was thinking of getting the following :

Thomson Masterpiece : 30.9x350 - minimum insertion length : 87mm

For my frame, the seatpost would be about 88mm into the frame, which is 1mm from the seatpost's minimum insertion length.

Is there anything like a minimum seatpost insertion lenght for the frame?

Many thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
yeh all manufacturers recommend it extends further than the lowest part of the bottom of the top tube seat tube intersection, ie clear the underside welds... Obviously no welds here, but you get the location.

I'd rather get the long post and trim it than get the short post and lose a frame to a rejected warranty claim.. Been there, done that.....

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
88mm, about 3.5 inches, is plenty of seatpost inside your frame.

I looked over Specialized's manual, and their only recommendation was minimum insertion on the seatpost. Considering that Specialized's specs (or used to spec) a Thomson post, you should be fine using Thomson's insertion line.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got some responses from Specialized / LH Thomson. Awesome they are so quick to reply & helpful :thumbsup:

Specialized support :

That will be just fine, as long as the post is long enough to make it past the top of the gusset connecting the top tube and seat tube I have no worries.

Bradley

LH Thomson support :

The original 100mm extra insertion was for early Klein Bikes. All you need
is 2 times tube diameter to protect the post. The post needs to be beyond
the top tube/seat tube junction to protect the frame.

David

·
Registered
846 Posts
The 08/09 Carbon S Works Stumpjumper manual says 70mm for a small medium frame and 100mm for a large extra large. I imagine the epic is similar being that the frame is very similar. This is actually means that it is further in than the top tube join as stated above, and both recommendations are obviously from Specialized. Very strange..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.