Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see anything in the Spec forum...and asked on the WeightWeeine page...but figured I'd ask here:

I'm looking a 2010 S-Works carbon 29er HT.
The webiste shows it has a press in custom Shimano BB-91 b/b

So clue me in...is this a bb that's only available through Specialized? And does it accept regular ( like XTR) cranks?

And if anyone is using one of these b/b's...how does it hold up?

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
The frame will come with reducing cups that will allow you to take out the bearings out of a standard shimano crank and press them into the frame, it should also come with a spacer for the cranks (atleast my expert 29er carbon frame did) I swapped the the specialized crank, and it is a nice setup. If you get the frame, i would suggest going with their crank, its super light and stiff, it is a very nice setup, and you can get double or triple ring configurations, it also accepts the SRAM XX double spider if you plan to go that route. Its one of the most versatile setups, and its all designed to work with the frame.

I ran mine as a double setup for race season, then went down to a 1x9 for trail riding. I love the crankset, it also shaved a good bit of weight compared to my XT Crank.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info!
I don't want the XX because of the proprietary chain rings( and it not that light),,,,and hate proprietary B/b's also.
I race inNew England, where it's always muddy...so i want to be able to get bb bearings easily.
And I run 26/36-38 rings...so I want to be able to get the rings I want.
The S-Works carbon cranks are nice....but it's rocky here and the ends get hammered( I've got a RaceFace next now that's pretty banged up)

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
The BB90 uses a standard external BB style bearing that you would find in a Shimano external BB cup. The standard bearing is pressed into the BB shell and the standard Hollowtech II, Mega Exo, Raceface style crank can be used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.