Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I wanted to upgrade my Specialized Camber EVO expert , which came stock with Roval wheelset 9QR front .

I am currently researching options to stiffen or add rigidity to the front wheel and fork.

I have seen some options to possibly add a 9mm Thru axle from DT swiss

DT Swiss - RWS Thru bolt

, they also have conversion kits DT Swiss - Conversion kits View attachment DT Swiss Axle-convertion-kits.pdf

I am pretty sure the OEM Roval wheelset for specialized had DY Swiss240 hubs or the internals.

HAs anyone done this conversion ?

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
I think those are Hi/Lo hubs with no star ratchets in the rear.
Check with Spec's tech guys on options, but how about building a wide 30mm internal width LB front wheel?
Should be a good upgrade with alight hub with changeable caps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes,

Mine are 2012/13 that came with my Spec Camber carbon EVO expert

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a brand new bike I found as a left over , I didn't want to go that crtazy. I am thinking of just a DT swiss RWS QR , currently my set up has tyhe OS28mm end caps so maybe thats enough support with the new RWS QR which enables a tighter connection
I think those are Hi/Lo hubs with no star ratchets in the rear.
Check with Spec's tech guys on options, but how about building a wide 30mm internal width LB front wheel?
Should be a good upgrade with alight hub with changeable caps.

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
Its a brand new bike I found as a left over , I didn't want to go that crtazy. I am thinking of just a DT swiss RWS QR , currently my set up has tyhe OS28mm end caps so maybe thats enough support with the new RWS QR which enables a tighter connection
So, I'm a little confused... Not your bike model, but my '13 Epic came stock with the 9mm thru (the DT Swiss model) in link on your first post--just Specialized branded. I went and looked online at the Spec. catalog, and both my bike and your model (for 2013) have almost identical listings--both OS28 end caps, both say QRs; are you sure that your model doesn't already have this? Not trying to insult, just make sure. I was under the impression that all of Spec's 'higher' end MTBs ran this thru-bolt/OS28 combo... they loved saying how it was just as good as QR15, but lighter.

Bike Whisperer is correct-- the front hub is all Specialized, so DT's end caps won't help you; and I believe that most of their front hubs were not convertible--don't know about your Camber's set up though... If you do have a traditional QR hub, you're stuck unless you upgrade. Looking at my stock front hub, I don't think I could run a traditional QR with it--the axle's just too big, the wheel wouldn't sit correctly in the fork.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure it's a standard QR on my model , I'll post up a picture later after work . I think you guys are right about the front hub , no where does it say DT Swiss like the rear hub.

my options are limited to upgrading the front hub . . My RockShox SID is limited to 9mm thru as I measured it .

I did just purchase DT Swiss QR skewer so it should provide better clamping power over the traditional QR.

How hard is it to replace front hub ?
So, I'm a little confused... Not your bike model, but my '13 Epic came stock with the 9mm thru (the DT Swiss model) in link on your first post--just Specialized branded. I went and looked online at the Spec. catalog, and both my bike and your model (for 2013) have almost identical listings--both OS28 end caps, both say QRs; are you sure that your model doesn't already have this? Not trying to insult, just make sure. I was under the impression that all of Spec's 'higher' end MTBs ran this thru-bolt/OS28 combo... they loved saying how it was just as good as QR15, but lighter.

Bike Whisperer is correct-- the front hub is all Specialized, so DT's end caps won't help you; and I believe that most of their front hubs were not convertible--don't know about your Camber's set up though... If you do have a traditional QR hub, you're stuck unless you upgrade. Looking at my stock front hub, I don't think I could run a traditional QR with it--the axle's just too big, the wheel wouldn't sit correctly in the fork.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I am a little worried , at 205 lbs it's a lot of force on that axle . My all mountain 26er has a 20mm thru front axle .

It's kind of odd that this high end spec camber EVO carbon 13 model has a standard QR up front and a stout 142plus 12 mm thru for the rear . I know in the 14 model they upgraded to a 15mm Thr u

·
Registered
34 Posts
So let me make sure I get this correctly...if I have the roval traverse 29s with the os24 front axle (fox fork), I can't swap the wheels for something with a standard QR because of my fork dropouts?

If so, this is lame...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So let me make sure I get this correctly...if I have the roval traverse 29s with the os24 front axle (fox fork), I can't swap the wheels for something with a standard QR because of my fork dropouts?

If so, this is lame...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have standard fork , yes ! well you can go with a thru 9mm but thats the problem I have now. I need different hub to work with a 9mm Thru axle.

I will stick with the DT swiss QR skewer i just ordered. It should provide a little more rigidity . If i break it then i'll get new front hub.

All in all with my fork I am limited to either QR or 9mm thru axle

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
If you have standard fork , yes ! well you can go with a thru 9mm but thats the problem I have now. I need different hub to work with a 9mm Thru axle.

I will stick with the DT swiss QR skewer i just ordered. It should provide a little more rigidity . If i break it then i'll get new front hub.

All in all with my fork I am limited to either QR or 9mm thru axle
A steel bolt on would be pretty good. My weight was similar to yours for most of the years I rode with those axles, and they did not fail me on any of my bikes.
Many people told me they were 'flexy', but I either did not notice, or I compensated for it very well.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I guess I am a little worried , at 205 lbs it's a lot of force on that axle . My all mountain 26er has a 20mm thru front axle .

It's kind of odd that this high end spec camber EVO carbon 13 model has a standard QR up front and a stout 142plus 12 mm thru for the rear . I know in the 14 model they upgraded to a 15mm Thr u
Unless you are using the Camber for Freeriding, your front QR is not going to fail.

Truth be told if you want a stiff front end, get a set of qr15 lowers for your SID (will need to set the fork at 120mm travel) and get the 15mm endcaps for that front wheel.

Lowers are on Ebay for $241

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
Unless you are using the Camber for Freeriding, your front QR is not going to fail.

Truth be told if you want a stiff front end, get a set of qr15 lowers for your SID (will need to set the fork at 120mm travel) and get the 15mm endcaps for that front wheel.

Lowers are on Ebay for $241
Beat me too it. I was going to suggest this route as well--its what I ended up doing for my fork. I ended up finding a good deal on eBay, but saw a few sites selling the 120 lowers. Won't be super cheap however. You'd need the lowers, a new front hub and wheel rebuild, and the 15mm Maxle. Not cheap, but a long term answer.

The cheaper option would be a new hub, a wheel rebuild, and the 9mm thru-bolt.

With that said, I outweigh you and I never felt "in danger" running a QR on the front. Are there stiffer options? Without a doubt, but as long as its tight, you should be safe. In my opinion, if you blow the QR, you most likely have bigger concerns to worry about.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Won't be super cheap however. You'd need the lowers, a new front hub and wheel rebuild, and the 15mm Maxle. Not cheap, but a long term answer.

The cheaper option would be a new hub, a wheel rebuild, and the 9mm thru-bolt.
The existing Roval Control 29 wheelset are 15mm compatible, no need for a new hub and wheel rebuild.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Correct ! So all I really need is New 120mm SID lowers 15mm Maclean compatible and new end caps for my current front hub . Probably would have to get that ordered through Spesh .

The existing Roval Control 29 wheelset are 15mm compatible, no need for a new hub and wheel rebuild.

·
Dusting Trails
835 Posts
Correct ! So all I really need is New 120mm SID lowers 15mm Maclean compatible and new end caps for my current front hub . Probably would have to get that ordered through Spesh .
Did you ever get it to work?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts