Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc or Giant XTC 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of these two bikes which one would offer an all around better ride? I have test ridden these two only in the parking lot so I don't know how they do on actual trails. Does anyone have experience with either of these two? They are about the same price and components are comparable so it all comes down the frame and how they ride.

Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33092

Giant XTC 1 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1265/29357/

·
for three!
208 Posts
not sure about the giant, but the rockhopper is one solid bike. Owned the 08 base model and it was a trooper, very light for the price, and rode very well. The m4 frame is very light and strong (lighter AND stronger than that aluminum giant frame....i'm guessing). In my opinion, you can't really find a better mountain bike for the money than specialized (sans s-works with the ferrari pricing). They really know their stuff.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well the guy above me is not sure about the Giant but thinks that the spesh frame is stronger (he guesses).

Both are good bikes. I had the XTC 2 and I am only saying had because the only thing stock thing left is the frame and headset (headset was FSA Sealed so no need to change). I really like the frame and I think it is right around 3lbs. My whole bike right now weighs in right around 25ish and I could easily get it down further with a different choice in parts.

Anyways, small things that are different from the two bikes are... Rear Derailleur on the Spesh is a Shimano Deore, while a good rear Derailleur the one found on the Giant is a little nicer. Srams derailleurs do not bounce around like Shimano's and the X7 is a pretty good unit. The seat and tires are a little better (personal opinion) on the Giant.

Big differences... Brakes. The Spesh has Avid BB5s which are pretty good for mechanicals however the BB7s would be a worthy upgrade. The Giant has Hayes Stroker Ryde which are Hydraulic. I am not going to say anything here because there are too many personal opinions between cable and hydro setups, just do some research on the two.

Oh and whatever you get just have fun, thats all that matters. Both frames are worth upgrading!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had two Specialized in the past, Hardrocks to be precise but I've never had a Giant. They only thing that I'm not feeling too much is the paint scheme on the XTC but if it rides better than the RH then I'm willing to overlook that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.