Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2008 Specialized Rockhopper 29er on Craigs List. It has Shimano Alivio components, disc brakes, RockShox Dart 3, and seems to be in pretty good condition. What does everyone think of this bike? Are the Alivio components good quality?

·
Registered
703 Posts
The orange frame? I have one, its been a tank. Using it for anything I prefer a HT on, and used to be my only bike and I rode it over all kinds of technical stuff too.

I've upgraded the wheelset, replaced the Dart 3 with a Reba, and the usual saddle/grips/pedals/tires. Dart 3 you can sort of get by with but its a pogo stick in comparison to an air shock so you may wish for something nicer down the line.

The stock wheelset is a pile of crap. Unless you are riding only very smooth surfaces they are going to be a headache. Even then they probably won't hold up very well. But if you are getting a deal on the bike then maybe you can put some money into upgrading your wheels. Even just a basic budget hand built set like from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse would be a big upgrade from stock. If you aren't riding anything too rooty or rocky they still might last you a while but they go out of true if you look at them wrong. Most people who've had this bike seem to complain about the wheels, but its worth a try to see how long you can put up with them.

I'd like to upgrade the brakes, and the drivetrain could be better but both suffice until I can spend the money on them. I've thrown a lot at the drive train and really only had to replace the cassette and chain. Its certainly not the best shifter/derailluer set up, but it works. Helps if you know how to tune it yourself, but that goes for any bike I suppose. The tires are passable but not preferable, but still might as well just wear them out if they aren't too worn when you get it, if the bike is still all stock.

How much is the asking price?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asking more than I want to buy. I want to offer $400, and I seriously doubt I would pay more than that. Not sure if he will agree to that.

JERRY ROCKS!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.