Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a little brother that wants to do mountain biking. But we're trying to figure out which bike we should get him.

It's between the specialized rip rock 20 inch coaster bike. And the track precaliber 20 inch six speed bike. It's between these two bikes because they are the highest quality with a low enough stand over height for him. My budget is about $350.

Do any of you guys have these bikes? Which one would you recommend? And also will the single speed be enough for him. I know the rip rock is a single speed which is why I probably won't end up getting it. But it has fatter tires then the precaliber.

And lastly does the precaliber 20 suspension actually work ?

·
turtles make me hot
11,388 Posts
I bought a Precaliber for my son when it was still Gary Fisher. The fork was more for decoration than actual off road use. It was set up the same with the six speed drivetrain. The bike really was more sidewalk than off road. I ended up putting an old XT 8 speed drivetrain on it, new wheels, Vee brakes and a different fork that worked a little better. I lightened it up a bit and he rode it on trails.
I REALLY like the Riprock but single speed coaster brake probably isn't conducive to trail riding. I'd rather have the plus tires on a rigid fork than skinny on a fake fork.

·
turtles make me hot
11,388 Posts
Damn... I just looked at the Riprocks on Spesh's website. WHY did they spec the geared 20" bike with a suspension fork???

·
ACHOO
4,419 Posts
If your brother is small enough (young enough) that only the coaster, and limited bikes fit, it also means he won't be tackling heavy trail. This makes a front suspension fork worthless (and it also adds weight, and probably does very little, as NY mentioned). Also, I wouldn't worry about massive tires given the terrain he's likely riding.

In our case, we opted for a street bike, with 6 speeds (single hand shifting), rigid fork, v-brakes, and beefy but still street-ish tires. This was plenty for the trails my 5 year old was doing, and his courage gave out long before the bike would. It was also very light relative to some over-done kids bikes with suspension. (Some of these bikes weigh 30 lbs for a 45 lb rider!)

Now, if your brother is actually pretty advanced, or older but just small-sized, then that's a bit of a different question, as you're now looking for a solid bike, but in smaller dimensions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brother is five years old. He is currently riding a 16 inch single speed which he has pushed to its limit. And he can ride the hardrock 20 6 speed, but he has a little difficulty getting on and off. And only one foot reaches the ground when on the seat. He is definitely a very aggressive rider considering he just picked up a pedal bike a month or two ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts