Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tacoed the rear wheel off this drop a day ago! It was only a five foot drop off of a ladder. What a crappy wheelset on this bike... Fixed the wheel that day, banged it back, trued it up and it tacoed again today 4 miles into the trail when I was riding today. Had to carry the bike 4 miles to get out up a lot of hills, I'm exhausted.

 

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,604 Posts
Pssst. I little birdy told me that the Pitch is not a huck bike. It said something about an SXT...

I checked the Specialized website, and found the birdy to be correct. AM to be specific.

That said, those rims are quite XCish. Did you give them a tensioning after a rider or two? Most OEM, machine built wheels, need a retensioning.

Those rims aren't great for the size and sidewalls of the tires either. (if you are pushing it)

P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. P, I'm going to try and make it a huck bike. I'm upgrading the wheels to a freeride/dh set that isn't much heavier. I'm also going to upgrade a few other things by Christmas time, it just takes time to save up these days
 

·
Now with More Wood
Joined
·
2,964 Posts
Been down that road with my Enduro SL. See the link in my signature for a list of upgraded parts and a bunch of pictures of it in action. And yeah, wheels and tires need to be at the top of the upgrade list for sure. Halo Freedom Rim is a great choice, not that heavy and tough as you could want (I laced mine to the Hope Pro II hub...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Iceman2058 said:
Been down that road with my Enduro SL. See the link in my signature for a list of upgraded parts and a bunch of pictures of it in action. And yeah, wheels and tires need to be at the top of the upgrade list for sure. Halo Freedom Rim is a great choice, not that heavy and tough as you could want (I laced mine to the Hope Pro II hub...)
Those are some nice looking trails man, wish I had some more of that in NC. You got some skills man! Good Job.

I like the "Contemplating" picture of yours, every rider knows what you mean. Sitting at the top of the big jump or huck debating to do it or not while you about **** your pants and finally just say **** it and hit it. lol
 

·
Now with More Wood
Joined
·
2,964 Posts
ECU_Pirate18 said:
Those are some nice looking trails man, wish I had some more of that in NC. You got some skills man! Good Job.

I like the "Contemplating" picture of yours, every rider knows what you mean. Sitting at the top of the big jump or huck debating to do it or not while you about **** your pants and finally just say **** it and hit it. lol
Thanks dude...dunno about skills, but I enjoy riding my bike and doing what my wife calls silly stuff. And yeah, you deciphered that Comtemplating pic perfectly...those are the good times (especially AFTER you hit the damn thing...LOL...).

:cool:
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Specialized has continued to use 15ga spokes periodically on many of the wheels on some of their longer travel bikes over the years. They shouldn't...especially on a Pitch. Even in '99 when I bought an Enduro Expert, the wheels didn't last 'til the water got hot...15ga spokes. We sell Specialized, and I've seen this continue a great deal. They shouldn't be putting 15ga spokes on Enduros, Pitchs, or any more aggressive bike. How big a drop and how you do the drop is always debatable, but Spec shouldn't use 15ga spokes on a Pitch. My '08 SJ FSR Comp had the same deal, and those brand new unused wheels are hanging in the ceiling of my shop. I don't consider them worthy for me even on an SJ.
 

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
Joined
·
8,847 Posts
You can build a quality light and durable wheel with 15ga spokes easily.

Granted, that isn't what the stock wheels are... Seconded on the re-tension job on stock/machine built wheels after a ride or two. Hell, sometimes they come way out of whack right out of the box/off the showroom. Most wheels usually need that, and it can make them last much, much longer than just beating on them.

Or meaybe you need to learn to land things smoother? Not calling you a hack or anything, I'm just saying... Fatter tires with a bit lower pressure can also help some. And yeah, flat landings aren't good for anything on the bike.


3 out of my 4 mtbs have fairly light wheels with 15ga spokes and my daily rides have all sorts of chunky rocks and anything from 2-4' drops as fairly routine and they have held up just fine, a couple of them for a few years.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
scrub, I would agree that you can add in a solid hub and a stout rim, and 15ga spokes aren't as bad, but this isn't what Spec is doing...and it's still not ideal for an aggressive wheelset. 14ga or 14/15ga doubled butted is a lot less troublesome.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
ECU_Pirate18 said:
My new rear wheel will be here and built on Friday. My LBS is charging $50 for the build, is that a rip off?
Kinda depends on what "the build" price includes. If they're using your rim/hub, and the price includes a full set of spokes, it's a bargain...though I'm a little concerned about the condition of your rim after the taco. What are you getting for $50?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TNC said:
Kinda depends on what "the build" price includes. If they're using your rim/hub, and the price includes a full set of spokes, it's a bargain...though I'm a little concerned about the condition of your rim after the taco. What are you getting for $50?
I purchased a new rim and new spokes, it's a freeride/dh rim. I'm keeping the same hub etc. Good deal or no?
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Sounds pretty good to me. You're probably getting that priced based in some part to a warranty expectation and customer satisfaction. A new rim and 32 spokes will cost way more than $50...not even considering labor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TNC said:
Sounds pretty good to me. You're probably getting that priced based in some part to a warranty expectation and customer satisfaction. A new rim and 32 spokes will cost way more than $50...not even considering labor.
TNC, there is much confusion here. I ordered the spokes and the rim online, paid around 80 bucks for the spokes and rim, it's a DH/FR rim, my LBS is charging me $50 labor to install the new rim and spokes onto the hub. This is my primary shop, I have spent over two grand at this shop since February. Is this a rip off for the labor?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top