Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2009 p2. It weighs 37 pounds.

All stock, 1x9, brakes suck, shocks suck.(Marz dirt jam) It is a big tank.

What should I start replacing first? I would like to lighten the front end up some.

Or should I sell it and start with something already built up?

I want to be able to bmx race it, and take it to the local dirt jumps

Attachments

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
ditch the fork and go rigid! What's wrong with your BB5's?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
singlespeed it. you've got the track dropouts. it'll be better for BMX and DJ in terms of durability etc. I like a 2:1 ratio fwiw.

ditch the saddle. that thing looks like it weighs 5 lbs on its own.

pull off all the reflectors. they're just gonna get munched eventually anyway.

you might be able to get away with just a back brake. shoudn't need any more than that. if they aren't working that well, rough up the pad a bit and clean the rotor and see if it helps.

forks: ride that one until it explodes due to terrible top out. If you've gotta get a new one, I recommend a rockshox argyle. I've got the coil one with the compression damping, and I love it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to go rigid because the shock looks cool at the bmx track, and I am old and brittle :)

What is a BB5?

ae111black said:
ditch the fork and go rigid! What's wrong with your BB5's?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will work on single speed stuff this weekend.

The saddle is so comfy though. Fits my big fat a............I'll ditch it.

The front end feels so incredibly heavy, it's tough to bunny hop it. Are the Argyls much lighter?

Thanks!

Bryguy17 said:
singlespeed it. you've got the track dropouts. it'll be better for BMX and DJ in terms of durability etc. I like a 2:1 ratio fwiw.

ditch the saddle. that thing looks like it weighs 5 lbs on its own.

pull off all the reflectors. they're just gonna get munched eventually anyway.

you might be able to get away with just a back brake. shoudn't need any more than that. if they aren't working that well, rough up the pad a bit and clean the rotor and see if it helps.

forks: ride that one until it explodes due to terrible top out. If you've gotta get a new one, I recommend a rockshox argyle. I've got the coil one with the compression damping, and I love it.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
makomyday said:
I don't want to go rigid because the shock looks cool at the bmx track, and I am old and brittle :)

What is a BB5?
The brakes......Why are they crappy? they are great .........:rolleyes:

·
Hail Satin!
248 Posts
Single speed, chuck the fork (2 for argyle. Check jenson on sale) If you have the coin some lighter wheels would really help, they could be used just for racing. Save the stock for jumping and street riding . And unless the track dosent allow. Ditch the front brakes ( the brakes are DD5s) Or just ride it the way it is and wait till things break.

·
Registered
80 Posts
SS it, Get yourself a longer stem (it will make the front end easier to get up..) You never really sit down on a DJ bike... hydraulic brakes were one of the best upgrades i did to mine...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
argyles aren't going to come in much lighter than the dirt jam, but it is a MUCH better fork. stronger IMO, stiffer, very good functional adjustments (7 clicks from plush/active to pretty much locked). you can save yourself some weight by going with a 409 (.5lbs), but it is an air fork, and needs more attention than it's coil brother (318, which I have). definitely get the 318 over the 302 though. the compression cart really helps make that fork good and versatile.

for the saddle, yeah it may be comfy, but that's not a sitting bike (at least, not sitting and pedaling). a narrower saddle will make it easier to get back on the bike, lose weight, etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
antonovc said:
SS it, Get yourself a longer stem (it will make the front end easier to get up..) You never really sit down on a DJ bike... hydraulic brakes were one of the best upgrades i did to mine...
I agree with you except for the stem and hydros. Short stems make it easier to get the front end up (weight is farther back), and this guy just doesn't seem to know anything about brakes, and after all, its just dj, who needs brakes?

SINGLE SPEED YO!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Single speed conversion almost done. Working on back brake next. I need some new pedals too.
Saddle also replaced.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ryan97 said:
I agree with you except for the stem and hydros. Short stems make it easier to get the front end up (weight is farther back), and this guy just doesn't seem to know anything about brakes, and after all, its just dj, who needs brakes?
Personally once i put a longer stem on the bike it was easier for me to get leverage on the front end and therefore easier to J hop.. but i also have really long arms so that may play into it all... but yeah, on second thought, i agree, bb5s can be set up enough to dj and bmx race with... I tend to err on the more urban side of things and like to be able to stop in like 5 yards after hitting something at speed..

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Unfortunately the stocker is very heavy. Nearly everything on that is heavy. Besides what was already mentioned, the cranks/BB also are heavy. Also the wheels are tanks. You are going to spend a LOT to get it near 30 lbs and really you could purchase something else built for less than the cost of that bike plus upgrades.

·
Registered
157 Posts
antonovc said:
Personally once i put a longer stem on the bike it was easier for me to get leverage on the front end and therefore easier to J hop.. but i also have really long arms so that may play into it all... but yeah, on second thought, i agree, bb5s can be set up enough to dj and bmx race with... I tend to err on the more urban side of things and like to be able to stop in like 5 yards after hitting something at speed..
Urban's all about that brakeless right now :D

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ok, hate to say it but congrats! You now have a P.1. You could have save yourself some money buying one of them in the first place.
I have the alloy version of the P.2, I picked it up used after I had to sell my DMR to pay bills. I really miss my DMR. Anyway, I'm in the same boat...sell the anchor, er, P.2 or dump money into it....still deciding if I like the frame enough because I know that's all I'm going to have left.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm going to try and get some cash for this bike I think, and buy a lighter version. Anyone need a sweet P2? :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts