Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
That's just sad, but not too surprising considering Devilized past. Their lawyers work harder than their team riders...

I hope they get (legally) smited one day. Smited hard.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
When I go France to watch Paris Roubaix( I guess I can't call it that anymore) I was going to shout out to the riders"allez, allez allez" I guess I can't do that either. I guess my Epic, can't say that either, journey to France to watch the best riders in the "hop some rocks" and yell allez, allez, allez, at Paris Roubaix is going to possibly get me sued when my plane lands on the Tarmac, to where I would need a Specialized attorney to defend me, which would cost a lot and I probably would have to cash in my 5 caret Ruby ring, if I just used my Brain, all of this probably wouldn't happen, but maybe someday justice will Prevail.
It's amazing how just talking about a fine day of watching a bike race could possibly get me in so much trouble, I guess I'll just have to keep riding my bike in those Enduro events,that I Crave, from the friendly Big S, Santa Cruz...I can say that right?
Rumor has it that you can Demo lots of bikes up in Downieville?

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
I actually beat Specialized twice on brand names. They put out a "Fat Tire Flyers" t-shirt while I published the magazine of the same name. Later they were going to market a "Repack" tire named after my seminal MTB race, and my lawyer made them change it, so the least amount of modification to the mold resulted in "Hardpack."

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I actually beat Specialized twice on brand names. They put out a "Fat Tire Flyers" t-shirt while I published the magazine of the same name. Later they were going to market a "Repack" tire named after my seminal MTB race, and my lawyer made them change it, so the least amount of modification to the mold resulted in "Hardpack."
Interesting that your settlement didn't include an agreement not to divulge terms of the settlement.

They have not won EVERY lawsuit, and there are a few people riding around who have stories to be told in private.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That is awesome. I tried to pos rep you, but I guess I have done so too much already. "must spread reputation"

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
So, it's bad Spec sued a competitor naming a road bike nearly the same as one of their road bikes?

Does Spec not have the trademark on Allez???

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, it's bad Spec sued a competitor naming a road bike nearly the same as one of their road bikes?

the spelling really isnt that similar:

Alize

Allez

The pronounciation is very different:

Aleez

Ahlay

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
^^ You mean: A™

I'm hoping that either:

1. Speshy gets sued by a bunch of Special Ed teachers or

2. They put all their eggs in the 27.5 market, then implode when 28.25 turns out to be the sweet spot.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
Interesting that your settlement didn't include an agreement not to divulge terms of the settlement.
I didn't have to agree to any of that [email protected] to prevail. I had the goods and they were not in a position to dictate terms.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts

the spelling really isnt that similar:

Alize

Allez

The pronounciation is very different:

Aleez

Ahlay
I don't really know how to pronounce either one correctly. Just from their spelling, I would have pronounced them in a similar manner.

I guess that's why Spec went after them, the dumb old Joe public like myself would easily confuse the two.

This is probably the only time I think Spec has 1/2 a leg to stand on in this case. The others that I can remember (Epic Bike packs for example) were just harassment

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
I don't really know how to pronounce either one correctly. Just from their spelling, I would have pronounced them in a similar manner.

I guess that's why Spec went after them, the dumb old Joe public like myself would easily confuse the two.

This is probably the only time I think Spec has 1/2 a leg to stand on in this case. The others that I can remember (Epic Bike packs for example) were just harassment
A 1/2 leg to stand on? Go to the link iheartbicycles posted and read why the defendant named their bike model Alize. Their intent was not to put out a sound-alike named product and have dumb old joe consumer make a mistake on what he was buying, with them effectively riding the coat-tails of Speccy's marketing. This is harassment again, pure and simple and I for one am sick of it. Doesn't Spec. have enough money already? This reminds me of Agent Smith in Matrix Revolutions taking over the entire Matrix world, all the time saying "More, more, more..."

Repack Rider, I had one of those Fat Tire Flier t-shirts back in the 80's. I got it from the bike shop I worked at in Huntington Beach, who sold Specialized products. I tell you, I thought they had made that with the involvement of those who published the Fat Tire Flyer, which I know now was you and Denise Caramagno. If I still had that shirt I would burn it, no matter the VRC value...I despise Specialized that much for these crap legal tactics they involve themselves in.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Repack Rider, I had one of those Fat Tire Flier t-shirts back in the 80's. I got it from the bike shop I worked at in Huntington Beach, who sold Specialized products. I tell you, I thought they had made that with the involvement of those who published the Fat Tire Flyer, which I know now was you and Denise Caramagno. If I still had that shirt I would burn it, no matter the VRC value...I despise Specialized that much for these crap legal tactics they involve themselves in.
The only Specialized product I own is a pair of shorts. I'm thinking about filling them with a nice smelly steamer and sending them back in for warranty.

OH - and we need to find out Mike Sinyards favorite riding spot and let Mike Vandeman know about it. 2 birds, 1 stone!

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
OH - and we need to find out Mike Sinyards favorite riding spot and let Mike Vandeman know about it. 2 birds, 1 stone!
Two thoughts-
Certainly Slash McNutty has done something worthy of Special Ed suing him.
Does Sinyard actually ride? Cause I've never met another rider (road or mtn) that was such a huge d-bag.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.