1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Consider the Rockhopper Comp?

Have you looked at the Rockhopper?

http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12992&bikeTab=techspec

http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Hardrock&bikeTab=techspec

The RH Comp is $770, the HR Pro Disc $710.

Look at the spec's above and ask yourself, what kind of riding do you do? Do you really need disc brakes? Do you ride alot? Does weight matter? Do you ride trails XC-style, climbing and descending? Or are you dirt jumping and riding around town?

What makes you want to get the Hardrock anyway?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I got the hardrock pro last year. I wish I would have known more about bikes then. I defiantely would have liked to save $500 more and gotten the Rockhopper All Mountian. Don't get me wrong, my Hardrock takes a hell of a beating and has blown away my expectations on how well it would hold up. I just think the Rocker is a much better specced bike with better components. My hardrock is my curent do everything bike. It will be stripped and the frame will be hung on the wall of my room soon, I'm gettin two new goodies. A Prophet 4000 and a Komodo.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Rockhopper...

Heals120 said:
I got the hardrock pro last year. I wish I would have known more about bikes then. I defiantely would have liked to save $500 more and gotten the Rockhopper All Mountian. Don't get me wrong, my Hardrock takes a hell of a beating and has blown away my expectations on how well it would hold up. I just think the Rocker is a much better specced bike with better components. My hardrock is my curent do everything bike. It will be stripped and the frame will be hung on the wall of my room soon, I'm gettin two new goodies. A Prophet 4000 and a Komodo.
To this guy's very valid point, the problem with a HardRock frame is that while it's solid, you'll outgrow it quite quickly, regardless of the components on it.

If you're just starting out mtbiking, I'd suggest you either buy (1) the Rockhopper All-Mountain, if that's the kind of riding you do, or buy the FSR XC--your skills probably won't outgrow either bike in a year... Or option (2) you try to spend as little as possible on a bike that you plan to use for a year to get your skills up. And as you're riding and abusing cheap bike from option (2), you save up for your dream bike the following year.

From my own experience: I made the mistake of buying a hardtail after my older hardtail died on my after four years. And well, I spent $700 on that second hardtail but by the next year I wanted a full-suspension bike that straddled the line between a XC and all mountain bike. So I ended up spending $1800 on the Stumpy FSR just a year after!

I was kicking myself in the ass!

But nowl, I'm now in-love with my Stumpy FSR...

That's my two cents and I hope it helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought the Hardrock in October 05 thinking it would satisfy my riding needs but after 8 months of riding I've outgrown the bike and decided to buy a Specialize Stumpjumper. I'm not saying to buy a stumpy but I am saying that it might save you more money if you buy yourself a better bike. The rockhopper disc comp at $750 is very good bike for $$$$. With the rockhopper you won't need to make any upgrades until you're ready for a new bike!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I fully agree with r6ryder. I would defiantely say that you should save more money if your really going to go places with this new bike. If your just going to ride around town with the bike, I would say go with the hardrock because you dont need a bike thats going to do things that your not going to do. I wish I could go back and save my money longer so I could have gotten a nicer bike and not have ended up where I am now with a bike that I am waiting for it to snap on every jump or drop that I do. I also wish that I would have taken more time to consider other bikes and other options before I parted with the Hardrock. I would defiantely advise on taking your time on this purchase so in a year you dont regret what you bought but are happy with what you bought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice and I will consider revising my choice. Where I live the Rockhopper is 400$ more (1200$) and I won't be able to afford it for severals months and by then summer will be over therefore wasting my summer(From a junior high student's perspective and I do think you can understand my situation). I will be hitting dirt jumps, rather moderate trails and a few drops but nothing to big. I do realize the difference between the components of the two bikes and 400$ more I'm not sure that it's worth it. But I will review my decision and take your opinion into consideration.

Thanks guys for your input :thumbsup:
Keep the gnar shred going and peace

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gday Bunnyman,
I got a hardrock sport dics about a year ago,very happy with it,use mine 90% offroad firetrail and single tracks.Without any problems.and I'm 100kg.Mine you I"m not doing 20" drops.I"d love to spend 2 to 3 thousand on a bike but if you hav"nt got that sort of moneyLike me, buy what you can,bets not riding.It"s a good frame you can always upgrade parts down the track.
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.