Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty much sold on either of these bikes, so I am know looking for some outside opinions to help me decide. I have ridden both and feel equally comfortable on each.

I am trying to get back into riding after approx. an 8 year hiatus (varsity baseball, college life, etc.). I have only owned hardtails in the past, but I am set on FS this time around.

My father has an i-Drive 5 3.0 with a Psylo and several upgraded components that I have ridden quite a bit in the dirt and absolutely love...

It really comes down to the two bikes in the subject line... I don't want to spend any more than that. The bike will be used about 98% for trail riding (i.e. no huge jumps or drops... maybe some). I will primarily use it on trails around Texas and Eastern VA, with the occasional trip out west or somewhere in the Appalachians.

Again, I have been out of the sport for quite a while... I really just want to here some outside opinions on these two bikes. Back when I was big into riding, the Trek Y-33 and GT LTS were king of all...

Thanks for all the help in advance.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
(EDIT: I misread your title - apologies - but I think the geometry of my Stumpjumper is similar to the FSR xc anyway, so...)

I ride an SJ FSR Comp 100, and I really like it! I'm a little under 5'8", with longish legs for my height, and the Medium fits me perfectly. It's an excellent climber, and handles quite well on the descents. It's a great all-around XC/light trail bike.

It does have two small flaws - more nuisances than anything else (for me, at least): The BB is low - I find myself smacking my pedals on stuff alot. Also, it's really light up front and can have trouble staying in contact with the ground, especially on climbs. This seems to be a design flaw on Spec's part, as I've read other posts saying the same thing. I've learned to use it to my advantage on technical climbs, but it can be a little annoying when you have to concentrate on your weight distribution instead of on your ride.

Sorry, I know nothing about the Jekyll. I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.