Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
341 - 360 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just saw this now.
Thanks for the reply Dougal, I was starting to think either everybody stopped messing with these frames
or was done with theirs and was out riding them.;)

I appreciate your thoughts on the rear suspension!
It's really, really cold around here right now so I'm taking my time with this build.
I don't remember seeing any pics of your Max(s) in here, if you have any would you mind posting?

Oh, and if you have one of those shocks or an extra sharkfin you might want to sell let me know, Thanks!

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Thanks for the reply Dougal, I was starting to think either everybody stopped messing with these frames
or was done with theirs and was out riding them.;)

I appreciate your thoughts on the rear suspension!
It's really, really cold around here right now so I'm taking my time with this build.
I don't remember seeing any pics of your Max(s) in here, if you have any would you mind posting?

Oh, and if you have one of those shocks or an extra sharkfin you might want to sell let me know, Thanks!
One is coming back from powder-coating today. I'll get some pics if it's any good.

Sorry I won't be selling those shocks or shark-fins any-time soon. I'm actually one shark-fin short, considering trying to make one at about 10x the price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cool! I'd really like to see it.

That's alright on the shock, couldn't hurt to try:)

I'm a CNC programmer/machinist by trade for the past 18 years, if I can help with the sharkfins let me know.
I could use one myself as I've picked up another '97 Max frame.

·
FxdcBikes
3 Posts
Beautiful job Crowman!
That FSR Elite was my first dual suspension ride, bought it in the summer of 1998. I loved it. I raced it a few times but quickly got into downhill and bought a 1999 FSR Max Stars n Stripes where I had to run the Brake Therapy device.
Then I stripped it to build a FSR S-works Team DH. I have pics.
I love seeing these great frames rebuilt with new parts, they still look sweet..!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Picked up 1/2 a frame for $40. Then a donor frame for $100. $20 bucks for 8mmx14mm bushings to adapt the main bolt size.
00v0v_6nmWLgECfSi_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Update on the 4+ year FSR Build, ressurecting a 20 year old!
Shockcraft News - Pike/Lyrik RC Tune, Bike of the Month & Competition Winner

Before photo, rescued from a scrap metal bin:

New main pivot hardware to replace the lost original. Hard anodised too:

Back end all powder coated black with new IGUS bushings throughout, all reamed to a precision fit:

Manitou McLeod rear shock, 165x38mm (original would have been Fox vanilla 160x32):

Glory shot with new Maxxis rubber:

It's taken a long time, but it's now riding perfectly. Still stuff to do, drivetrain is a 3x9 Deore that may or may not stay (this bike will stay 3x).
Seatpost will change to an answer carbon as soon as a suitable seat is found.
Bars are Answer Carbon.
Brakes are Hayes Radar 203/160mm with a shark-fin adapter.
Wheels are Specialized stout disc hubs with DT Revo spokes and Stans ZTR rims.
Forks are 2003 Manitou Black Elite TPC with the softest coil spring. This is one of Mrs Dougal's bikes. Balances perfectly with the McLeod rear.

Other instagram shots:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6KdfFggHn/?taken-by=shockcraftsuspension
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GumHgTKJ/?taken-by=shockcraftsuspension
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GmoLgSO1/?taken-by=shockcraftsuspension
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GfivAdMI/?taken-by=shockcraftsuspension

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's an awesome looking frame. Always wanted one of those before!

Update on the 4+ year FSR Build, ressurecting a 20 year old!
Shockcraft News - Pike/Lyrik RC Tune, Bike of the Month & Competition Winner

Before photo, rescued from a scrap metal bin:

New main pivot hardware to replace the lost original. Hard anodised too:

Back end all powder coated black with new IGUS bushings throughout, all reamed to a precision fit:

Manitou McLeod rear shock, 165x38mm (original would have been Fox vanilla 160x32):

Glory shot with new Maxxis rubber:

It's taken a long time, but it's now riding perfectly. Still stuff to do, drivetrain is a 3x9 Deore that may or may not stay (this bike will stay 3x).
Seatpost will change to an answer carbon as soon as a suitable seat is found.
Bars are Answer Carbon.
Brakes are Hayes Radar 203/160mm with a shark-fin adapter.
Wheels are Specialized stout disc hubs with DT Revo spokes and Stans ZTR rims.
Forks are 2003 Manitou Black Elite TPC with the softest coil spring. This is one of Mrs Dougal's bikes. Balances perfectly with the McLeod rear.

Other instagram shots:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6KdfFggHn/?taken-by=shockcraftsuspension
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GumHgTKJ/?taken-by=shockcraftsuspension
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GmoLgSO1/?taken-by=shockcraftsuspension
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GfivAdMI/?taken-by=shockcraftsuspension
Good stuff Dougal. Glad to see that there are still people out there rocking the old-school MAXbackbone frame. I've recently semi-retired mine. Even with the Risse Racing rear triangle I was getting some notable lateral movement in the rear during hard turns that were less than confidence inspiring. I've temporarily used some of the parts off the bike (wheels, cranks, seat, brakes, etc) to build a dirt jump frame...an '13 Specialized P3. Will eventually get my MAX frame back together...but it definitely won't serve as my main, do-everything bike...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi :)
We are still rocking old-school Spec frames

Here is mine:
Zdjęcia - Pokazywarka.pl

I built it albost 3 years but for now this bike is flying over! : )
Setup:

- fork Z1 FR SL `03
- shock Cane Creek AD 10
- brakes Formula The One
- wheels Fulcrum Redmetal 5
- Crank XT
- etc. etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
99 FSR 9 speed

fullsizeoutput_2f5.jpg fullsizeoutput_2fb.jpg fullsizeoutput_2f7.jpg fullsizeoutput_2fc.jpg fullsizeoutput_2fe.jpg

My resurrection project started with a $100 Craigslist 1999 Specialized bike with a frisbee still attached at the rear wheel and nipples on the tires, as well as a lot of updating with what I thought were purposeful for North Central Florida riding. Not a Max Backbone, but close enough for government work.

1999 FSR, Fox Van. RC, Marz Z3 Light, Cane Creek Wams, Avid SL Levers / V's, RF/XT/LX drivetrain (32/ 11-34 ), Thomson stem, SDG Saddle and Post, Specialized Chunder front and (reversed) rear.

Haven't ridden (or posted here, what happened to my username?) since 2006.

Working on similar build for for a 1999 GT Avalanche Hardtail.

Trails seem more technical, but less harsh on the honey :). Conquered Palm Coast, looking at making a return visit to Santos soon.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
So I thought I'd pick this up where Dougal left off. I pestered him for awhile for the frame. It will need heat treatment for the seat stays where there has been a welded repair so I'll have it apart again soon. I got sick of emails today so built it up from spares to get away from the laptop.
I'm undecided which direction I'll go with it, certain forks will be hard to find, whether to go strictly period correct, or mix it up. I don't see the point of putting super narrow bars and crap rubber on it, so I don't mind new stuff either.

1999 DH

·
Registered
11 Posts
That looks awesome Mudguard!!
I still love these old Max Backbones!
For your DH model, I don't know if one would be needed if you ride primarily down hill, but I've been thinking about trying to put a dropper seatpost on mine.
But the seat tube is so short... need to look into what type/size might work.

Has anybody out there put a dropper post on one of these frames?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I've been thinking about trying to put a dropper seatpost on mine.
But the seat tube is so short... need to look into what type/size might work.

Has anybody out there put a dropper post on one of these frames?
This bike will be more a coffee bike rather than ridden in anger.

You can get short droppers, the DH frame will need to have the stop removed, but the problem with the lack of room is that you're gonna have a short dropper.

I put one in an 05 frame with a similar lack of room, but I think it still has more room than the older bikes

341 - 360 of 369 Posts