Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
321 - 340 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hey Joe, I'm running the Risse Racing complete rear triangle with adjustable Hex link, seat stays. Fox 36 up front as well, Fox DHX Air 5.0, 7.5x2 out back. Very balanced feel, endless travel feeling. 67-68 degree HA, 14" bb height. I love the way this thing feels. I ride 4'-6' drops, 12'-15' gaps and doubles over & over, feels like Butta. Hope this helps.
Check out atchipmunks pix and you'll see what the Risse equip. looks like. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Hey there,

I've already tried to use the slacker head tube/low bb positions but I was getting tyre rub on suspension compression so it was a no go. The overall height of the Fox 36 keeps the angles pretty slack in the steep HT/high BB positions so it still felt great in terms of geometry. By unbalanced I mean that it feels weird having more travel up front than out back hence it feels unbalanced in the quality & quantity of travel front to rear. The Fox 36 feels nice & plush but the rear doesn't feel the same even with the RP23's propedal completely off it ramps up more quickly & feels firmer and you know there's not as much travel behind you as you have up front.

I'm going to be using my MRP long travel linkage and Fox RX coil that came with it to give me 6" at both ends.

I went for air suspension initially to try to keep the weight down a little, but balanced suspension travel and feel is more beneficial than gaining a couple of hundred grams give or take with the coil shock. I have to say when I trial fitted MRP link & shock kit, it felt 1000% better than the Enduro link & Fox RP23....yes the feeling is that drastically different...well to my butt anyways ;)

Take care....Joe
That is an incredible bike!! I had one back in 1998. It was, and still is one of my all time favorite full suspension bikes. In fact, to this day, I do not think any of the modern bikes can eat up square edge chop like those bikes with a coil shock on them.

I used to ride mine down the railroad tracks by my house, right down the center where it was 1" to 4" square edges of the railroad ties. And I could do this in the middle ring, sitting in the saddle! I don't think any modern air shock bikes could do that. I would be surprised if my Pivot Firebird could do that. Modern bikes are tuned for air shocks, and that bike was tuned for a coil. I still feel that the best coil setups, outperform air setups, when they are designed for a coil, and not an air shock bike with a coil strapped on.

It was my "All Mountain" bike, before we even knew WTF that meant. I rode mine from the Colorado river, UP to the top of Porcupine Rim trail, to Sand Flats, and then back down.

That bike still makes my heart flutter!

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is an incredible bike!! I had one back in 1998. It was, and still is one of my all time favorite full suspension bikes. In fact, to this day, I do not think any of the modern bikes can eat up square edge chop like those bikes with a coil shock on them.

I used to ride mine down the railroad tracks by my house, right down the center where it was 1" to 4" square edges of the railroad ties. And I could do this in the middle ring, sitting in the saddle! I don't think any modern air shock bikes could do that. I would be surprised if my Pivot Firebird could do that. Modern bikes are tuned for air shocks, and that bike was tuned for a coil. I still feel that the best coil setups, outperform air setups, when they are designed for a coil, and not an air shock bike with a coil strapped on.

It was my "All Mountain" bike, before we even knew WTF that meant. I rode mine from the Colorado river, UP to the top of Porcupine Rim trail, to Sand Flats, and then back down.

That bike still makes my heart flutter!
Mate you are sooo right about coils....they feel infinitely better, smoother, plusher and far more responsive than air....so much so that I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of the TALAS 36 for a Van 36.

Why? Well my bike is now in it's final configuration. I have had my MRP linkage stripped of its chrome & polished up, came up a treat. The Fox RX that came with it didn't need any servicing according to my LBS so I've just taken the stickers off it & cleaned it up. Ordered some sweet offset shock bushings from ProShox in Poland and man are they an awesome thing to have. Lowered the BB height & slackened the head angle amazingly. That mod has really breathed new life into this old frame. 6.2" of ULTRA plush rear travel. While i was riding on the RP23 the front TALAS felt amazingly plush, but now compared to my MRP rear coil setup with the MRP needle bearings the front feels a tad lifeless & sticky....soaks up the hits great but not so good on the small sensitive bumps....coils all the way me thinks now....anyone have a Vanilla 36 Kashima they want to trade for a TALAS 36 Kashima?

I've taken a few pics in the current configuration & will upload them here very soon.

God this bike feels amazing now. I think with the coil front end it would just be the perfect mid travel all mountain rig....it's amazing how good a 16yo frame can still feel when you get some new technology on it. Specialized really got those MAX frames right in so many ways....they can still put alot of modern frames to shame....they just don't make them like they used to ;-) I've been browsing around and have been tempted to get a GT Force or Sanction frame, late model Specialized Enduro or maybe a used Intense Uzzi VP....but why? I've ridden my friends Force and yes it feels great, but in all honesty there really isn't a quantifiable difference between my frame in its current configuration or his new GT they have very similar geometry considering the huge age gap between them.

More pics coming in very soon....stay posted lol....

Take care guys :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
'97 GC FSR update pics

Ok guys, final pic updates of the '97 CG FSR build up. Had the MRP linkage stripped of its satin plating and had it cleaned & polished up....looks an absolute treat :-D Also purchased a set of the ProShox offset shock bushings which made a pretty big difference to the geometry of the frame.

Also included a couple of pics with my friends '10 GT Force 1.0 so you can kind of make out the differences in geometry from the 16yo frame to a late model all mountain bike. That GT is an awesome ride too....but I just love my FSR now with these mods....only thing I'd want to do is maybe swap out the TALAS 36 for a Vanilla 36....nothing can replicate the plushness of a coil....that was ultra apparent from riding my friends GT with 6" travel then my FSR with the MRP link & shock which also has 6".

Enjoy the pics and as always any questions or comments please feel free :)

Take care....Joe

FSR 1.jpg FSR 2.jpg FSR 3.jpg FSR 4.jpg FSR 5.jpg FSR 6.jpg FSR 7.jpg FSR 8.jpg FSR 9.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats my 97ér Specialized DH Backbone ; Custumized

IMG231.jpg IMG232.jpg

Fork - Zoom XTR 120 mm

Crank - Truvativ Fc 160 mm 32 T Single

Pedals - Vpm 58

Frontbreak - Promax 160 mm

Backbreak - Power V-break with Powermodulator

Bar - 720 mm D-Lux with Truvativ Hussefeld 31,8 mm

Frameshock - Fox vanilla R 190mm

Chain - KMC

Cassette - Shimano HG 8 speed

Shifter - Shimano Trigger 8 - speed

Rear Derailleur - Shimano Alivio ???

Rims - Vuelta airline 1 with 36 spokes , Twisted

Saddle - WTB Rocket V

Headset - Stronglight semi integrated

Tires - Yellow Kirin 2.30

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those twist-laced wheels won't last with disc brakes.
You need straight pull for disc brakes or drive wheels to resolve the torque at the hub to tension in the spokes.
With the twisted spokes like that you're trying to apply torque through bending the spokes. They will flex a lot and eventually break.

Twist-laced spokes only work long term on front wheels with rim brakes. It can be done on only one side of a drive or disc braked wheel.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I don't know if this is kosher or not but I have a BETD link for these old frames that I have no need for. I am willing to ship it (you pay shipping) to anybody if they want it. Has been sitting on my old purple ground control frame for years. Heck, if you want an old frame (the cheap taiwan version) it is yours as well!

just pm me if you are interested. Also, feel free to yell at me if this is not kosher and I will delete….

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome thanks for the reply, maybe after C-Mas I'll be lookin to pick up some parts, maybe you could send me some pics of what you have, thanks again. BAKEDOUT

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've read through this whole thread a little bit at a time over the past couple of days.
And I must say there are some super nice Max's in here, and loads of great info on these bikes.
So thanks to everyone who has contributed.:thumbsup:

Here's my 1998 FSR Ground Control I bought new in 98', (just like a few others on here I really wanted the
FSR elite Max Backbone but I couldn't afford it at the time) and slowly upgraded to full XTR over the
next 4-6 ? years. Just got her back out a few months ago after a long time of not riding. I threw some
street tires on there and have been riding the bike paths around here to get back into the swing of riding.
DSCF3954.jpg

I picked up a bone stock 1998 FSR elite Max, size large (finally) a few weeks ago and stripped it down to the frame (the crank
is also off there now) to build up over this winter. Excuse the messy garage.:rolleyes:
FSR FROM SELLER (2).jpg

2013-10-29 (12).jpg

2013-10-29 (16).jpg

2013-10-29 (15).jpg

FSR 2013-12-16 (45).jpg

FSR 2013-12-16 (46).jpg

I also have a frame like this one (2001 FSR Enduro),
FSR FROM SELLER (3).jpg
I can't decide if I want to steal the seatstays off this for rear disc on the Max, or just use an XTR V brake on the rear of the Max.
I plan to build this frame (enduro) up also with all the spare parts I have including a complete 1999 FSR Ground Control Sport.

The build list for the Max Elite build so far:
2001 FSR ENDURO seatstay and linkage (cartridge bearings), BETD main pivot (needle bearing)
Shock- FOX Vanilla R 6.75" i2i x 1.75" stroke (900lb x 1.83" stroke spring)
Fork- ROCKSHOX Sektor RL 150mm dual position coil(converted to 110-150mm U-Turn coil, extra firm spring)
Front Mech- SHIMANO SLX M665 (2 x 9)
Crankset- SHIMANO SLX 170mm 22-36t (mountain double)
Cassette- SRAM 11-34t 9 speed
Rear Mech- SRAM X.7 9 speed Medium Cage
Shifters- SRAM X.0 9-Speed Twist Shifters
Headset- CANE CREEK forty
Handlebars- AZONIC Flow
Stem- AZONIC PleasureDome
Seatclamp- HOPE
Seatpost- TITEC Scoper or RITCHEY Comp
Wheelset- AZONIC Outlaw
Bakes- AVID BB7 (180mm front, 160mm rear)

I love these Ground Control and Max frames, and look forward to building it!
Anyway, thanks for all the info in this thread, I will most likely be asking for more help as this build slowly progresses.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone here that has tried both the 2001 enduro linkage and the BETD link on the Max Backbone frame
give me an opinion on which you liked best and why? And compared to the stock one (or any other link).

I have both now and I'm trying to decide which to try first since I'm getting ready to take
the rear triangle apart and install bearings in all of the pivots.

Probably have about 80% of the parts to start putting this bike together and I'd like to
start at the rear triangle. Of course I'll be doing some testing of my own once it's all
together and warm enough.

Oh, and I also have a seatstay from a 2001 fsr enduro with the disc mounts and cartridge bearings.
Would you guys put that on right away? I really like the stock seatstays looks and build,
but I'd also like to try disc brakes.

Thanks for any replies or opinions! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forks, Enduro seatstay and link mounted, I now have sealed cartridge bearings on all the pivots except
the main pivot, it has a BETD needle bearing.
I also found a 6.75" x 1.75" Fox Vanilla shock in good working order on ebay for it.

1.jpg

It's slowly comin' together!

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Can anyone here that has tried both the 2001 enduro linkage and the BETD link on the Max Backbone frame
give me an opinion on which you liked best and why? And compared to the stock one (or any other link).

I have both now and I'm trying to decide which to try first since I'm getting ready to take
the rear triangle apart and install bearings in all of the pivots.

Probably have about 80% of the parts to start putting this bike together and I'd like to
start at the rear triangle. Of course I'll be doing some testing of my own once it's all
together and warm enough.

Oh, and I also have a seatstay from a 2001 fsr enduro with the disc mounts and cartridge bearings.
Would you guys put that on right away? I really like the stock seatstays looks and build,
but I'd also like to try disc brakes.

Thanks for any replies or opinions! :)
I just saw this now.
I've tried the stock rear end compared to the 2000 bighit rear stays and upper link (similar to the 00/01 Enduro but slightly longer link) with a 6.5/1.5" rear shock.
It worked out quite well, gave the BB increase the bike needed to run that bit more sag in the back.

I also have 6.5/1.75 and 6.75/1.75" shocks but the spring availability isn't as good and for this one it only needed matching to a 120mm fork to a female rider who doesn't like the bike sitting that tall unloaded.
The medium frame doesn't have room for the 6.5/1.75" reservoir shock (vanilla RX).

I'm running Sharkfin disc mounts instead of the 2001 Enduro rear end.

321 - 340 of 369 Posts