Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fox shock with Auto Sag adjustment puked it's guts so i sent it in to Fox to rebuild. I reinstalled it and have followed the procedures for setting the sag multiple times and it's setting too much sag. Should be 25% but is setting at more like 40-50%...

Anything you gurus know I can try or do i need to contact Fox?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,200 Posts
Is there a chart or formula to help with how much PSI I need at my weight? For a starting point.. I'm 220# with gear.
For a rear shock, start with your body weight. Probably have to go a little less, but you can start there. The o-ring is also on the shock to help determine if you are using close to full travel, so it helps you dial in the pressure. Pressure is more important than sag. I had a fox with the auto-sag and I thought it worked quite well...but it was a terrible shock otherwise and I've never had problems setting pressure. You use the o-ring and ride trails. Getting close to full travel on an air-shock, it gets real progressive, but having a few MM of contingency travel on a rough trail is usually a good idea.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
If there was a chart or formula, it would be put out by Specialized since the pressure will depend on the leverage ratio and weight distribution on the frame. It doesn't matter where you start as long as it you don't exceed the max pressure of the shock, which is what is specified to be put in prior to pressing the auto sag button. If that's 300 psi, you might start at 250 and see what that yields.

Google setting sag to get a tutorial so you get the process right. IMO, this is superior to using the autosag anyway. Also, some may chime in and say sag isn't important. It's an important starting point. Getting a exact value is not that important. Once you establish a pressure that gives you 25-30 percent, you can vary from there and experiment with spacers to find what you like the best.

I see that Jayem suggests using your weight as the starting point. That isn't a bad suggestion as long as you're using lbs for your weight and PSI for pressure as it just so happens to be not far off for the typical shock piston area and frame leverage ratio. It's just an accident that it's a decent starting point for most bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.