Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I posted this morning about what bike to buy. I went to the bike shop today and the owner put me on the Expedition. I really liked it and it was very comfortable. Does anyone have any opinions to share with me or can you recommend a good website for bike reviews?

Thanks,

Leigh

·
Registered
308 Posts
First off...

We need a few questions answered.

1). What is the intended use of the bike? Touring? Road? Cross Country? Dirt Jump? Free Ride? Down Hill?

2). How much experience do you have riding bikes?

3). Are you Male or Female? (Yes, it can matter)

4). How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

5). How often do you plan on using the bike?

Now the Expedition is a great bike for riding the pathways and doing some touring, but do not take it on single track EVER.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is my post from this morning. I am answering your questions below it and adding one of my own. Thanks!

Hi! I havent owned a bike since I was a preteen. Whenever we go to the beach we rent one and have a great time. I picked up a very cheap mountain bike for dh at a yardsale a few years ago and I road it on the bike trail at the local park. I have decided to get my own bike. I was just going to go get a cheap $50 bike at Wal-Mart, but my husband wants me to spend a little more, but not a whole lot. I have been looking at the Schwinn Sierra Sport Comfort Mountain Bike. It is around $249. It seems to be a good choice for what I want to do.

I am 5'6".
I weigh 150 pounds.
I am female.
I mostly want to ride on the street and bike paths.
I may venture into mountain biking since I live in the mountains.
Since I live in the mountains I will pedal up hill as much as downhill.
I want to use biking to help lose weight.
I would like to only spend around $300. I am not serious about biking. Maybe one day, but I have an 18 month old and won't be able to get serious until she is much older.

Thanks for any and all types and advice you may have. I went to the bike shop yesterday and it was overwhelming. The guy there couldn't help me either. He told me to come back today when the owner is there. Hopefully he can help.

We need a few questions answered.

1). What is the intended use of the bike? Touring? Road? Cross Country? Dirt Jump? Free Ride? Down Hill? Mostly around town, possibly some gravel, occasionally a beginner mountain trail.

2). How much experience do you have riding bikes? I haven't owned a bike since I was a kid. I have ridden a little here and there since then.

3). Are you Male or Female? (Yes, it can matter) Female

4). How tall are you and how much do you weigh? 5'6" 150

5). How often do you plan on using the bike? Maybe daily

Now the Expedition is a great bike for riding the pathways and doing some touring, but do not take it on single track EVER.

What is a single track???? Since my trip to the bike shop someone has recommended the Specialized Hardrock. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Leigh

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
I think the Sirrus is a better prospect..

leighp said:
Hi. I posted this morning about what bike to buy. I went to the bike shop today and the owner put me on the Expedition. I really liked it and it was very comfortable. Does anyone have any opinions to share with me or can you recommend a good website for bike reviews?

Thanks,

Leigh
It will allow you more cycling opportunities, especially as your abilities improve. The expedition being a comfort bike and nothing more limits its opportunities.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Alrighty!

So the suggestion of the Hard Rock can be a good one, but only if you plan to hit those trails from time to time. There is a HardRock Sport Women's Model available at a reasonable price. The write up is here.

Having said that, there are quite a few bikes out there that could do quite well for you. Head out, try them out for fit and fun quotient. Pick the one that is best for you. Remember, this is about having fun, everything else is secondary. :)

Single track is a type of windy, up and down, twisty trail with roots and bumps and rocks and all kinds of other challenges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.