Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
You might get better answers if you post this in the wheel and tire section. You will
also find this tire has been talked about there fairly often.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I figured man, but the previous times i posted on that forum nobody ever answered (also asking about tire options), and I dont really know why but the forum's thread function wont work!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Great tire. Been rolling them for the past 3 years. Run the the 2.3 'Control' model tubeless with Stans at around 25 PSI. Sidewalls can take some abuse. Can get about 3/4 of a season out of the rear, more for the front. Work well on my local trails which are hardpack, to loose rocky soil over hardpack, to just plain rocky. Like the lightweight-ness of them. The are easy to install as tubeless.

Currently have a 2.2 Captain on the rear to try a 'faster' more efficient roller, but once it wears out I think I'll go back to the Eskar.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Luigiugueto said:
Ok how about rolling resistance vs traction? supposed to be fast rollers while retaining traction.
It is definitely NOT a fast roller, but provides good traction and corners very well (you really have to trust and lean it over to make this tire work and use its full cornering potential). Used to run it front and rear, but now only in the rear. Very easy to set it up tubeless (has UST bead) and grips and corners very well if you don't over-inflate. I run the rear around 27-28 psi (I'm around 170 pounds). At higher pressures it just didn't work well for me. It is very light for what it is and the only real negative I can think of are the thin sidewalls. If you want to run it in mostly rocky areas, I would definitely use the Armadillo version (I think 50-100g heavier, but thicker sidewall), at least for the rear.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fizzywater said:
It is definitely NOT a fast roller, but provides good traction and corners very well (you really have to trust and lean it over to make this tire work and use its full cornering potential). Used to run it front and rear, but now only in the rear. Very easy to set it up tubeless (has UST bead) and grips and corners very well if you don't over-inflate. I run the rear around 27-28 psi (I'm around 170 pounds). At higher pressures it just didn't work well for me. It is very light for what it is and the only real negative I can think of are the thin sidewalls. If you want to run it in mostly rocky areas, I would definitely use the Armadillo version (I think 50-100g heavier, but thicker sidewall), at least for the rear.
I heard about the sidewalls, but i'm not sure which version i'm being offered. PRobably the cheapest one as, sadly, that's the way my country works these days. You can only get the cheapest components off the local bike stores, off course sold at the premium price. Anyway i'll maybe run these set up converting my wheelset to tubeless.

thanks

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Thin sidewalls in the control version, grip is just OK, I would go with a different tire. Rubber Queen is good choice.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
hitechredneck said:
i tried them im not a fan. Maybe i will try them again i liked them at first then i tried a minion and hands down a much better tire. The weir wolf is another bad ass AM tire.
Yup, stick with Maxxis or WTB :thumbsup:

·
Registered
834 Posts
i had them on my pitch and kept on getting flats from thorns(certain areas i ride have tons of them) i tried a liner inside the tire and everything but kept on getting flats. i then switched to kenda 2.35 nevegal and don't run the insert or heavy duty tubes and haven't had a flat for awhile... the eskar rolled better on hardpack and had some mroe grip but i find when the terrain gets rocky or slow moving where every pedal stroke counts the nevegal did better in my book. eskar i thought felt a alot mroe confident on fast sections with tricky corners. i am just psyched i don't have to change a tube every ride.

·
I dig trails!
5,603 Posts
fizzywater said:
+1.

And add that the 2010 version has a few mm taller side knobs so engagement happens earlier into a lean.

P

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you are interested in trying Specialized, the 2.3 Clutch SX seems to be getting really good reviews (for a front, too slow for rear).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried the original version. They were a good dry terrain tire. You need to corner agressivly to get the most out of this sort of tread. I thought they were at their best for mixed hardpack and loose stuff. They roll about average for an AM tire. Apparently spesh improved them a bit with bigger side knobs and a tougher more cut resitant casing on the control version. Also you can get full UST now.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
Love these tires to death. My rear is looking worn, so I've been searching for a replacement but nothing has all the benefits of the Eskar.

Light, easy to set up tubeless, gobs of grip, true to size. BUT, there are no transition knobs so you have to really lean the bike to get the most out of them. That works out perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so i've been getting opposite answers here, people who hate them and people who love them. In what conditions are you people riding in??

Love these tires to death. My rear is looking worn, so I've been searching for a replacement but nothing has all the benefits of the Eskar.

Light, easy to set up tubeless, gobs of grip, true to size. BUT, there are no transition knobs so you have to really lean the bike to get the most out of them. That works out perfect for me
In what conditions are you riding in??

Thanks man

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
Luigiugueto said:
Ok, so i've been getting opposite answers here, people who hate them and people who love them. In what conditions are you people riding in??

In what conditions are you riding in??

Thanks man
Sorry, shoulda mentioned that. More details...I have probably 800-900 miles on the tires. Mostly singletrack, probably 150 miles of road riding, commuting to the shop. I've more or less worn off the siping on the knobs (rear), but I'll probably squeeze another hundred miles out of it. Front tire is looking good.

I mounted these tubeless and started riding them on NY trails - loose stuff, rocks, roots, leaves. Often slick and often muddy. Tires did well in all of that. To be fair I didn't get to test them on wet rocks and roots as much as I'd like - I only rode them for about two weeks and then I moved to Colorado.

Here, I'm riding them on lots of hardpack and sandy conditions in Fruita. Also a lot of slickrock and loose dirt. They've performed excellently here as well. I went downhilling in Telluride and rode them through loose, dusty dirt. They did well on that too.

Come to think of it, this is probably the first tire I've ever used that I have no complaints about. Good traction under power, good braking traction. Amazing cornering abilities, due to the tall side knobs. My only real complaint is that they wear a bit quick. That's probably due to the fact I'm riding them through sandpaper 7 days a week.

I did manage to pinch flat the rear while tubeless and had to go back to a tube set up. But I like to run low pressure and I'm not easy on these tires. I ride over a lot of rocks and overall, they do well protecting the rim. Like I said, they are true to size and are a nice high volume tire. Light too, certainly lighter than the Rampages I had before them. I didn't weigh 'em, but I believe the claimed weight of 700g. I have noticed that if you don't lean the bike, they can be a bit squirrely transitioning from the center knobs to the side knobs. That's fine for me but may not work for some riders.

Other tires I've used (for perspective): Panaracer Fire XCs (2.1), Panaracer Rampages (2.35), IRC Mibros (1.95, 2.25), WTB Moto Raptors (2.24), Specialized Enduros (2.2), Specialized Resolutions (2.1)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ive been running these tires for a year now, so Ive used them through summer and winter.

This tire performs very differently depending on where you live, and the type of terrain conditions. I live in socal and the best time they performed were when the ground was compacted and had moisture in it where the side knobs could get grip. Now that its super dry Im having issues with the tires, especially with the front.

The tire grips well in more compacted firm dirt conditions(which we don't have in socal), but get it in any loose, or loose over hardpack and it will slide. The tire has no transition knobs so your either straight up and down or leaning way over to get grip. But once your on the side knobs your pretty good. Also that if your not prepared for a loose turn, the front tire likes to wash out.

I would use this tire for the rear only, grips well and is able to break loose for skidding or for some drifts. But I don't recommend it for the front, I would get something with some transition knobs to help stop the front tire from washing out. Another thing is that these tires are light, so if your doing aggressive xc or light am then these tires will be fine. In my conditions I have to run low tire pressure for the front in order for it to get grip. So when I do more aggressive trails I have to pump more air into it and then I loose a good amount of grip. So not to great when your hitting jumps and more rough terrain and need more air in the tire.

Ive rode the tires a good amount on cement and the rear tire is still going pretty good, I have almost 400 miles on these tires.

So in the end the tire isn't too bad, if you ride a lot of single track or aggressive xc then these are not a bad tire, but they are too light for more am type riding. So it really comes down to your terrain conditions and your type of riding.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I'll add that due to the lack of transition knobs, these tires like a wider rim profile. They work much better on 21mm inner width rims and larger. I have them on Mavice 719's and the rims are a bit too narrow. Mounted to a 723 they perform much better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts