Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the weights for the 2008 Epic Comp, Expert, and marathon (aluminum)?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I weighed a new Comp last week and with reflectors, (I know, I know) it was 27.7 lbs... So it could easily be brought down to the 26 pound range with your own pedals (not the Candy's that come with the bike) and without reflectors.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm so w/o reflectors, crank, cassette,wheelset upgrade could probably dump it down to 25.5

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
apparently so, could be that damn scale in the shop too though, nomatter how long you leave the bike on it it cant just decide on a number, i changed to a kcnc post, 160 grams, that thing is super light, way lighter than the stock specialized, phenom sl saddle, lighter than the stock rival but not hugely, and certainly not as comfortable, i think i have it positioned now to be as comfortable as it can be, i also changed to foam grips which weigh basically nothing,

i think the heaviest parts of the bike are the post, cassette and the rear hub, i dont know how much ill be saving by changing out the front fd from an lx to xtr, maybe 40 grams at best, you could save just over 100 by going to xo on the shifters and rear fd, you could also save maybe 200 grams by going from the juicy 5s to say hope mono minis, my front brake is playing up already its taking longer to bite i can pull the lever all the way to the grip now, dammit

·
Registered
54 Posts
My stock standard (although minus the reflectors) 08 Epic M5 Marathon weighs in at 25.5 pounds. That may change when I swap handlebars soon from the stock carbon riser to a flat aluminium Syncros but I can live with that.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
i thought the marathon came standard with the flat carbon bar? i was checking the specialized website and the flat bar is over 50 grams less than the riser, id consider going to the flat bar because of this but i like the riser on the downhills that i do

·
Registered
54 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
i thought the marathon came standard with the flat carbon bar? i was checking the specialized website and the flat bar is over 50 grams less than the riser, id consider going to the flat bar because of this but i like the riser on the downhills that i do
No, both the '07 and '08 Epic Marathon's have a XC riser bar (640mm wide, 6 degree up and 8 degree backsweep). I'm not a fan of carbon (though it is a very nice looking bar) plus I've never liked riser bars on my XC bikes as I prefer to run bar ends..

·
fart knocker
103 Posts
not trying to butt in on an epic discussion, but after reading i weighed my 04 anv. sj on our bathroom scale and it came up 25.6lbs ....seems like an epic could be lighter than that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
the specs are different in europe, the 08 marathon has the flat s works bar here
That's weird, everytime I change the region for the Specialized website and load up either UK & Ireland or Germany they come up as having a low rise XC carbon bar. Nevermind.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
stock epics are heavy, for what they are supposed to be that is, my 08 comp was 27.6 with pedals, however theres a slew of XTR stuff going on it as we speak, i cant wait to see what it weighs when i pick it up from the shop tomorrow

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
the 08 stumpys are as light or lighter than the epics now it seems, i think that will be the main change specialized will be focusing on the 09 epic, weight loss

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just finished a complete re-build on my Epic Expert. Everything except deralures and shifters. Did not go as light as I could have because did not want to sacrifice durability. Anyways, my bike ended up at 24lbs. Totally changed the way it rides.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts