Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was chatting with a local Specialized dealer and found out the reps are saying there's three Specialized 29'ers coming out. There wasn't any info on which frames, and I don't know if it's three models or three frames in various models. If it's three frames, then it looks like the whole Specialized line is going to be availables as a 29'er. Don't know if they'll all come out at once, or individually like Cannondale is apparently going to do.

This last weekend they got the Epic's down to 9 kilos (19 lbs) at Mount Snow with the new integrated crank. That sounds like a sub-25 lbs 29'er in the making.

Anyone got any other info on these?

· Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,430 Posts
Padre said:
I want a hardtailish squish bike....
Platform shock? Epics just felt wrong, nothing like hitting a bump, then having the suspension turn on, just seems like reactionary engineering. To their defense though, they had this out prior to platforms really being widely available, so I guess they need to get their R+D $ out of it, before they can move on. Platforms, regardless of who made it, solve the problem more eloquently, and turn any bike, into what you seem to be looking for. I have a 5th element on my Monk, that thing is quiet as can be climbing, and seamlessly eats the rough stuff, no big intial spank required. Cheers!

· AussieLostInNyc
647 Posts
mward said:
So the obvious extension of this is; Will Fox be making a 29er shock for their bestest friend forever, Special Ed?
I posted nearly two months ago that I had a 'friend' who had seen it and it looked about 4' travel in the rear but had a carbon fork up front.
Perhaps it had a carbon fork on it rather than a current reba, wb etc because they were waiting for a proto fox fork????? Wouldn't that be great!
A step closer to getting an enduro expert 29er with a fox talas 36 up front......

· Registered
4,028 Posts
I've got a sweet tooth for boutique stuff but I'd be all over an S-Works 29er frameset - Epic of otherwise.

"Softtails" and the Epic are not similar by any means.

Speshy doesn't invest for low volume so my guess is they'll really try to get this correct out of the chute.

'08 though? We might have 32ers by then!

· Recovering Weight Weenie
8,814 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
I have a 5th element on my Monk, that thing is quiet as can be climbing, and seamlessly eats the rough stuff, no big intial spank required. Cheers!
So what if I like being spanked initially?:eek:

Really, I haven't found a a platform shock that feels very solid yet when i want it to. Stiff, yes. Solid/firm, no.

· no fat chicks
771 Posts
Travis S said:
Was chatting with a local Specialized dealer and found out the reps are saying there's three Specialized 29'ers coming out. There wasn't any info on which frames, and I don't know if it's three models or three frames in various models. If it's three frames, then it looks like the whole Specialized line is going to be availables as a 29'er. Don't know if they'll all come out at once, or individually like Cannondale is apparently going to do.

This last weekend they got the Epic's down to 9 kilos (19 lbs) at Mount Snow with the new integrated crank. That sounds like a sub-25 lbs 29'er in the making.

Anyone got any other info on these?
wow
way to get into the fine details there Travis
you should have just posted a topic that says 'i really don't know diddly squat about the specialized 29er'
that would have been a more appropriate thread title

· Future Rainbow Jersey
448 Posts
It's good to see the guys down in corporate approved a 2 year roll-out plan for 29ers. I'm surprised the lawyers down at Specialized haven't tried to sue anyone, claiming to have invented 29ers, or for the use of the number "2" because people might confuse that "2" in 29er with the "2" in "26 inch Stumpjumper.":rolleyes:

On the flipside, they do make solid bikes and have a long history of doing so. Plus, more 29er offerings will be fantastic.

· Complete Bastard
2,280 Posts
Maxrep said:
Travis,

pay no attention to the children whose parents have provided internet access at home:D .
Someone's gotta do the hatin' around here.

The positive nature of this anouncement is the momentum added to the 29er manufacturer base. You can bet that fork, wheel, and tire manufacturers will take note and bring more 29 inch specific components to market.
That's not positive at all. If you'd started riding 10 years earlier than you did, you'd have seen tons of custom builders very similar to how the 29er market is now. All the big boys rolled in with their splashy ads and assembly line crap and all the little guys died out. Anyone remember Chris Chance? I hope it doesn't happen this time More is not always better. Especially when 'more' has a marketing department. Blech.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.