Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my name is Mike and I'm from Las Vegas. I am pretty new to the whole mountain biking scene and my brother and I are really fired up about starting to ride. We want to start riding the trails around here like bootleg and stuff. The point of this post is to introduce myself to you guys and ask about the Specialized Enduro SL Comp to see if the bike is worth the cash, I really like the style of the frame and have also heard good things about Specialized bikes. My budget is $2,800 or less and I'm just curious if this would be a good bike for me to be starting out with for and AM bike. Riding bikes will be something that I will want to get better at and do as much as possible so help me out with your opinions fellas.
Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
-Mike.
Rant over!.lol

·
Bike's hmmm nice
302 Posts
I've been riding since '89. Had a number of bikes by now and just picked up an Enduro comp 2010 last week. I liked the looks, style and the price was kind of OK (2799 euro, sadly that is about 4060US). Been riding it only around the block due to bad weather, but I really love the feel comparing it to the Stumpy and the Canyon Torque. Many other nice bikes around (was also looking at a Remedy and even peeking at a Nicolai), just go with what looks and feels good. A trusty LBS is also handy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I just looked at that remedy 7 and it seems pretty sweet. My brother and I went to a bike shop the other day and had a felt compulsion3 ordered for us so we can test ride it. Whats your opinion on felt bikes? Thanks for your help guys! :)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
you could do one of a few things when looking at a first bike.
1) ride as many as you can and buy what feels best
2) buy a cheaper bike, maybe a HT and start riding for a while and learn to ride a bit. Once you have a better idea of what you are looking for in a bike you might be better off/educated/informed when picking another ride
3) Be careful spending a lot of money on a first bike because sometimes people but a bike only to find they bought the wrong one, based on riding type and desired bike characteristics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mnigro said:
you could do one of a few things when looking at a first bike.
1) ride as many as you can and buy what feels best
2) buy a cheaper bike, maybe a HT and start riding for a while and learn to ride a bit. Once you have a better idea of what you are looking for in a bike you might be better off/educated/informed when picking another ride
3) Be careful spending a lot of money on a first bike because sometimes people but a bike only to find they bought the wrong one, based on riding type and desired bike characteristics
Awesome man thanks a lot for the info. I am definatly trying to ride as many as i can to get the feel for what I will be comfortable with. I used to ride bikes all the time a few years back but just got drawn away from it because of school sports and stuff so im still pretty familiar on how to ride and what not. I'm anxious to ride the felt this week tho.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have owned quite a few different bikes in the last few months. I was purchasing them without trying them out ( big mistake, I was trying to save money and buy used of ebay). I would say that buying a bike is like buying a car, you should never do it with out a test drive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have owned quite a few different bikes in the last few months. I was purchasing them without trying them out ( big mistake, I was trying to save money and buy used of ebay). I would say that buying a bike is like buying a car, you should never do it with out a test drive.

·
Bike's hmmm nice
302 Posts
Test riding is a good thing to do if you have the chance.... I must say I bought many bikes without a real test ride (little bit of parking lot max). Not the best style, but it works for me. About the Remedy or the Enduro: I really liked the 2009 Remedy with the Lyrik, but that was no longer in stock. For 2010 it was made lighter and with a Fox 32 less burley. I want a bike that also suits for some park riding so I opted for the 2010 Enduro that was more burley that the 2009.

I don't know if those would be my choice as a first bike (or only bike). That would surely depend on your local terrain and your intended main riding style. I really loved my stumpy for a do it all bike. And going all out in your first bike would also not be my style. First get to know what your style is and if you really like it. A good frame is usefull so you can at lest upgrade before getting the next bike.

just my 2c.

·
Registered
66 Posts
agreed, this is what i did bought a spechy HT and fell in love with MTBn and then thought i could ride whatever went and got a 07 Big Hit2 the bike was way braver than the rider, so i hated that bike because, i couldn't ride how it should of been ridden lack of skills my fault for buying a cool looking bike that was way outta my league:madman: . i sold that bike and took that money and got me a 07 Enduro i love this bike.:thumbsup:BE SURE TO DO UR RESEARCH B4 U BUY:smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot guys for all your opinions it helps a lot. I'm am definately trying to ride as many bikes as i can to help with my decision with whats comfortable for me. I do know my brother and I will be riding out in bootleg and the trails on blue diamond( not sure what there called yet.lol) so I need a bike that can handle those trails but also handle some screwin around town jumpin ledges and what not.:) And im really tryin to do as much research as possible to find a bike but there is just so many bikes out there.lol Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Specialized Enduro comp. is a nice choice. I've got an '08 Enduro comp SL that I absolutely love and for a 29 or 30 pound bike I was really impressed on it's climbing capabilities. I've had three Treks and a Cannondale before the Enduro and this is by far the best do everything bike I've had so far. Had some issues with a couple of my Treks (Chain suck and rear triangles breaking) especially my Fuel 90 although I'm sure the latest Treks are sweet rides and I would maybe look at a new EX had it not been for the Enduro.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oldy Moldy said:
The Specialized Enduro comp. is a nice choice. I've got an '08 Enduro comp SL that I absolutely love and for a 29 or 30 pound bike I was really impressed on it's climbing capabilities. I've had three Treks and a Cannondale before the Enduro and this is by far the best do everything bike I've had so far. Had some issues with a couple of my Treks (Chain suck and rear triangles breaking) especially my Fuel 90 although I'm sure the latest Treks are sweet rides and I would maybe look at a new EX had it not been for the Enduro.
Thanks a lot man I really appreciate your opinion. I need to find an enduro in town so i can ride it and see how I like it. I'm also looking at the felt compulsion 3, what do you think about those bikes compared to the enduro?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can't tell you much about the Felt, no dealers where I live and I don't see any Felt bikes on the trails here either so I don't know much about them. I have read a test or two on certain models and they get good reviews.

·
EDR
10,421 Posts
The new Enduro is a great bike but don't sell yourself to it easily. Specialized seems to draw the attention of every newbie looking for a bike with a name. They have marketed themselves extremely well over the years. All I'm saying is that in that price range there a whole bunch of great bikes that you've never heard of.

Ride, demo, demo, ride. If your choices are limited you can't go wrong with the Enduro, assuming you like the feel of actually riding it.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.