Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you tell me about them? Anyone know how heavy they are or how fast they roll? I've got a set that I took off of my commuter and replaced with semislicks. My trail bike has Maxxis Minion 2.35 Downhill Specific tires on it right now that the PO put on it. I was wondering how much I might benefit putting the enduros on the trail bike instead of the minions. I'm guessing the minions are pretty heavy, cause the bike used to be tubeless, but it leaked when I got it, so I swapped in some tubes. The enduros are a little cracked, but I've heard not to worry about that too much. Opinions? Gonna be riding bright and early tomorrow, should I make the last minute switch?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I personally really disliked the Enduro's that came on my uhh...Enduro. Heavy, VERY slow roller (seriously slow), and they would break loose on corners with little warning. Maybe they are really good for strictly DH, but I definitely did not want to be pedalling on these day in and day out. Swapped to my Nevegals from an older bike and I was happy again. Anyone want some Enduros with less than 30 miles on them? LOL....

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Tarekith said:
I personally really disliked the Enduro's that came on my uhh...Enduro. Heavy, VERY slow roller (seriously slow), and they would break loose on corners with little warning. Maybe they are really good for strictly DH, but I definitely did not want to be pedalling on these day in and day out. Swapped to my Nevegals from an older bike and I was happy again. Anyone want some Enduros with less than 30 miles on them? LOL....
riding these tires will make you feel like this: :eek: :yikes: :madmax:
I agree with everything Tarekith says.
They are the worst tires I have ever ridden.
I think the problem with them is the knobs are very long, but have a small diameter. They just seem to roll over, so it feels like you're riding on ice.
If you get in a rut with these tires, you will either crash, or have a very sketchy exit. They do terrible on angled surfaces, they tend to slide downwards instead of dripping the ground and holding a line. There were trail sections where I unclipped and walked because of these tires. Those are sections I just haul ass through now.

I have a mission to tell everyone how truely dissapointing these tires are.

If you want good tires, the the Specialized Resolution 2.2 up front, and Nevegal 2.35 DT in the rear. The Resolution 2.2 is quite a bit bigger than 2.2, it's more like a 2.5.

Tarekith said:
Anyone want some Enduros with less than 30 miles on them? LOL....
Make that two sets. I'd be happy to part with mine too. If you live in the area, you can have them for free. But don't sue me when you crash because of them:D

-Dan

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one who feels so passionately AGAINST the tires. I was trying to be fairly... nice about it, but I really do think they are terrible as well.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Tarekith said:
Glad I'm not the only one who feels so passionately AGAINST the tires. I was trying to be fairly... nice about it, but I really do think they are terrible as well.
Likewise.

I will say this though, they were great is the 20 feet of sand I rode through. Knob design was awesome for sand :rolleyes:

-Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the tires you suggest seem nice, but a little out of my price range; unless you know of some special place to get them. It seems as though performancebike has some decent deals on the IRC Mythos and Panaracer cinder right now. Suggestions for front or rear? I'd like to keep them at about $15 a piece if I could.

Mythos Cinder

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
PVFJR said:
Well the tires you suggest seem nice, but a little out of my price range; unless you know of some special place to get them. It seems as though performancebike has some decent deals on the IRC Mythos and Panaracer cinder right now. Suggestions for front or rear? I'd like to keep them at about $15 a piece if I could.

Mythos Cinder
Ah yes, the battle with price.
They may seem out of your budget, but what may happen is you buy the cheap ones, and are dissapointed with them, and then spend more money to get the good ones. Now they have gone from $35 to $50. (I've done this with things all my life, I have finally learned to do it right the first time)
The front tire (Specialized Resolution) will last quite a while, and is worth the $35. The Nevegals to wear fairly quickly though.

I had a Cinder that I got on sale at Performance. I loved it on a hard pack trail, but once I got to something loose, traction got questionable. One person commented "That's a 2.25 inch tire? Seems small."
I have no experience with the Mythos, so I can't comment on them.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your choice.

-Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt I'd change my mind after my purchase. I don't think I'd be disappointed with them, cause I don't know any better. Ignorance is bliss. :D I may give them a shot.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Had Enduro tires. And so did two of my friends on their bike. I think they have average traction with good volumn but those damn side knobs peel off after month of riding. Same thing happened to my frineds.

I have been very happy with Cinder 2.25. Good overall tire for trail riding but it does weigh 760grams. That may bother some but not me. I like them enuff to stock up 4 of them from Performance at $15/tire.

STH

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
Had Enduro tires. And so did two of my friends on their bike. I think they have average traction with good volumn but those damn side knobs peel off after month of riding. Same thing happened to my frineds.
I've been running a UST Enduro Pro on the front for a couple of weeks now. So far, so good. I haven't had an issue with the side knobs yet, but have had this problem in the past with several other tires.
I have been very happy with Cinder 2.25. Good overall tire for trail riding but it does weigh 760grams. That may bother some but not me. I like them enuff to stock up 4 of them from Performance at $15/tire.
I like the Cinders too. (I'm currently running it on the rear.) I checked at Performance today and the $15/tire sale seems to be over.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
KevinB said:
I've been running a UST Enduro Pro on the front for a couple of weeks now. So far, so good. I haven't had an issue with the side knobs yet, but have had this problem in the past with several other tires.

I like the Cinders too. (I'm currently running it on the rear.) I checked at Performance today and the $15/tire sale seems to be over.
Bummer...that is why I stocked them up when I saw it on sale two weeks ago.

I was referring to non-ust Enduro Pro 2.2 tire that was made two to three years ago. My friends also. Once they start to peel off, they all start to go. Maybe Specialized have changed the compound and shaped of the knob for Enduro. I do like the suppleness of the Enduro. When I ride them at same psi as Cinder, I feel like I have an extra 1" of travel on my bike. But Cinder blows them away on grip. Rolls about the same. More I think of it, Cinder could be my fav. That's saying a lot 'cause I am a proud tire junkie!

STH

·
Lumen warrior
48 Posts
ive used some enduro 2.3s and i didnt like its cornering grip, its very unpredictacle and another thing is that it puncture so easily that it was puncture by a large fish's backbone during one of my training ride, its not durable and has weird riding characteristics.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
XC707 said:
ive used some enduro 2.3s and i didnt like its cornering grip, its very unpredictacle and another thing is that it puncture so easily that it was puncture by a large fish's backbone during one of my training ride, its not durable and has weird riding characteristics.
You have some weird riding habits if you run over fish!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah, I ordered a couple of mythos cause it seemed like a pretty decent tire for the price. I'll have to see how they treat me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.