Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add an all mountain bike to my collection, and for me it comes down to either the Specialized Enduro Comp or the Pitch Pro. Which is the better way to go? This question has been asked before about the 08 models, and a lot of people learned towards the Pitch due to the Enduro’s Specialized suspension/issues with the dual crown fork. The 09 Enduro doesn’t come with the Specialized fork anymore, and instead has the Fox 32 Float RL. Does this change your opinions or would you still say the Pitch is a good way to go? I like that the Pitch has pro-pedal, but the Rockshox Pike 351 on the Pitch has 10mm less travel (140 mm) than the Enduro’s fork (150 mm). Maybe not a big deal.

Basically, I live in Santa Barbara where the trails are steep and rocky, and I want something that’s going to allow me to push it a bit more. At the same time, I’m not a huge fan of shuttling, so I’ve got to be able to climb. I’ve been talking with a ton of people about these two bikes. For the most part, it seems like the purists and the people who haven’t really spent much time on either bike always say go for the Enduro because it’s supposed to be the nicer bike. Then again, people who have actually ridden the Pitch love it and tend to prefer it over the Enduro. A guy from Specialized even had this to say about my friend’s 08 Pitch: “That Pitch you have is a very popular bike, I think a fundamentally mis-marketed one too. It’s sold as the younger brother to the enduro, but it has a different personality, and many of our engineers and downhill designers prefer the Pitch as a daily ride to even an s-works enduro or the more specific downhill rigs.”

So what do you say: Enduro Comp or Pitch Pro???

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Pitch for these reasons:
1. No Specialized suspension products. Proprietary is bad.
2. Along the same lines, wheels. Easier to go custom with a 20mm fork
3. fork travel isnt an issue: (--------) is about 10mm. You wont notice it. Plus, the Pitch is Specalized engineer OK'd to run a 160mm fork, so a Fox 36 or Lyrik are a great upgrade later.
4. The DC fork on the Enduro really limit the turning radius. for flowy singly track and down hills its not an issue, but on slow tech stuff you may want/need that little extra turn to balance something.
5. Looks better - personal, I know, but I like the strait top tube/sloping curvy down tube...

Check out Scrublovers review of the Pitch, I think its titled something like "specalized sucks"

Good luck

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Or, Pitch Comp and swap parts/upgrade things to different/better/stuff you like more. Since buying as frame only (what I wanted) is not an option with Specialized, this is the route I took.

Found a good deal on an 08 Pitch Comp, swapped on my existing parts and sold the rest off.

Result: One kick ass fun bike, with the spec I wanted.

·
Registered
746 Posts
bioport said:
...until you realize that the turning radius on the fork is terrible, making it worthless for technical uphill riding.
Be sure you have the bumper stops rotated so you can get max rotation from the fork: I have mine set so that I can spin my rear wheel in a 2 ft diameter circle... There is no way you can hit the stops at trail speed, not even climbing @ 2 MPH. Now for real tight technical switchbacks, then you need a bag of tricks anyway... can you say track stand, bunny hop, or pivot?

The only negative mark I can find with the Enduro is the rear shock, it will not lockup for climbing and you lose a lot of power by not being able to lock.

·
Registered
356 Posts
scrublover said:
Or, Pitch Comp and swap parts/upgrade things to different/better/stuff you like more. Since buying as frame only (what I wanted) is not an option with Specialized, this is the route I took.

Found a good deal on an 08 Pitch Comp, swapped on my existing parts and sold the rest off.

Result: One kick ass fun bike, with the spec I wanted.
for very little extra money go with the Pro

What i would say (i have one) is that specialized have done nothing for it with its pic you always see on a website etc...ya know the 2D one, if you see one in the flesh (or metal)...its a really nice looking bike, fat tubes, really chunky looking, and thats the reason i picked it over a Meta 5......it just looked a lot nicer.....and it was more travel for less money.....i love mine.....if u do get one, you will not be dissapointed....

·
Registered
156 Posts
If the Enduro had a 36 instead of a 32 Talas it would be the bike. The turning radius is not an issue with the 09 Enduro unless you go S-Works(only model with E150 fork), which is a waste of money(you could buy a boutique bike with that type of money).
Get the Pitch and save your money. Upgade whatever you feel it needs later. The Pike is a good fork and 10mm will not be noticable.
I also think having propedal is something you want since you are adverse to shuttling(me too for the most part) and it will climb more efficiently.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I rode both recently (08 models) in parking lot tests. I drastically prefered the pitch...just felt more balanced and more natural to manuver. The enduro felt tail heavy. I would have bought a pitch if not for the thru axel...would have required bike rack modifications...which was not in my budget and seemed unessecary because I don't do "huge" air. I bought a Trek Fuel instead.

·
Registered
746 Posts
invader_zoom said:
I rode both recently (08 models) in parking lot tests. I drastically prefered the pitch...just felt more balanced and more natural to manuver. The enduro felt tail heavy. I would have bought a pitch if not for the thru axel...would have required bike rack modifications...which was not in my budget and seemed unessecary because I don't do "huge" air. I bought a Trek Fuel instead.
Oh hell yeah... I can see the expression on the bike salesman's face now, "hey sir, can you help me pick out a new bike, I need one that fits on my rack" :p

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
G4VNJ said:
for very little extra money go with the Pro
Why?

IMO, it really depends on which/how many of the stock parts you are going to replace or not.

If you're ditching most of the stock stuff, get the Comp. I'd say the only reason to go Pro over that would be if you're going to keep the stock Pro version fork and rear shock. If you're just going to replace all that though, then why pay for it in the first place?

I wanted the frame only, and the only thing I didin't replace with my own parts was the front derailleur. There wasn't any point in going with the Pro in that case.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
I'd say go Enduro. The fork is now sorted and with a nice lube up as a thread on the Specialized forumn, use slick honey and a strip down its as good as a 09 Fox fork and tracks straighter. It's a very easy fork to look after and maintain and with a 5 year gurentee you wont go wrong. There is no issue with very tight up hill singletrack the turning circle issue is a no starter. You wont go wrong with the pitch the geo is very similar to my old 05 s-works enduro.

·
Registered
2 Posts
go with the pitch. u can upgrade it how ever u like and build it into an AM bike or FR/DH bike. its a great AM(how i have built/upgraded mine) and i can put on the pro pedal and do a climb up some big ass hill then bomb it on the way down and use all the 6 inches of travel. good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go for a pitch pro. I have an enduro sl and the e150 fork definitely has a design problem - many guys have had issues with it. To buy just the enduro frame and customize the shock and fork is another way out.

Other options are Trek Remedy and Santa Cruz Blur.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Look at the head angle on the bike.....

DH= very slack
AM = less slack
XC not so much....

Using Specialized bikes as an example:
Pitch is more in XC family and Enduro is more in AM and SX is more towards DH.. all trail bikes and capable but handling will be much different.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Flyag1: It would be useful to actually know what you are talking about before you post a response. The Pitch has a head angle of 67 degrees - incidentally the same as the Enduro - (see the Specialized website), which is ideal for an "all-mountain" bike, certainly not "xc family".

·
Registered
746 Posts
mikey74 said:
Flyag1: It would be useful to actually know what you are talking about before you post a response. The Pitch has a head angle of 67 degrees - incidentally the same as the Enduro - (see the Specialized website), which is ideal for an "all-mountain" bike, certainly not "xc family".
Mikey74, you're right...my bad. Should have looked before posting. I stand corrected. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.