Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
I just got the Comp Carbon about 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. I have never owned a road bike and have only ridden mountain bikes. There is a trail by my house that goes for miles that is a mix of gravel, asphalt and you can jump into singletrack if you want. The Diverge is perfect for this mix. Road 40 miles last weekend without stopping and wasn't sore at all after the ride. The geo on the bike for me is perfect. I had them put on Trigger tires instead of the stock tires and they work great. I highly recommend this bike.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
What size trigger tires? I'm curious as to whether the 38mm fit. The bike is spec'd for a max 32mm tire, but I read an article that I believe said they used 38mm.

Also, have you used this for cyclocross-type riding? I have the Crux and love it. I need a pit CX bike. I've been interested in the Diverge for gravel/road riding and might be more inclined to pull the trigger if it could do double-duty as a CX pit bike.

·
bipedal
733 Posts
Diverge max tire size

What size trigger tires? I'm curious as to whether the 38mm fit. The bike is spec'd for a max 32mm tire, but I read an article that I believe said they used 38mm...
Be careful, the Trigger 38s are reported to measure only 35mm (Reviewed: Specialized Trigger Pro 38c 2Bliss Tire - Weight and Width).

I mounted some Continental SpeedRide 700x42 tires (measured width 40mm). They squeezed in but were too close to the frame - no room for mud or debris, and the tire would likely rub if the tire or rim went the slightest bit out of true.

Conti Cyclocross 700x35 tires (measured width 36mm) fit fine with 3-4mm clearance on each side. Here they are on the Axis 4 rims (front & rear):

·
bipedal
733 Posts
max tire width revisited

I'd previously put on some Conti SpeedRide 700x42 tires and felt that the was too little clearance. Mounted on the OEM Axis wheels they measured 40mm wide and only gave 2.5mm clearance with the fork legs and even less with the seat and chain stays. For this reason I stuck with Conti Cyclocross 700x35 tires (measured width 36mm on Easton EC70 wheels) front and rear.

Well, curiosity and a desire for a bit more front end cushion and grip got the better of me, and I mounted a SpeedRide 700x42 tire on the front EC70. A short ride showed that the tire sprue nubs (mold "whiskers") brushed the inside of the fork legs, but there was no evidence that the tire itself touched. As a further test I put strips of white vinyl tape inside the fork legs, trimmed the sprues a bit with scissors, and went out again. Conditions were dry, and I was able to pound the front end pretty hard on corners an bumps. The ride was nice, noticeably smoother than with the 36mm tires, and I felt more confident cornering and in loose conditions. There was no evidence that the tire contacted the fork legs - the white tape was clean and unmarked. Looks like the Diverge fork and EC70 wheel are sufficiently stiff (at least for my 160 lb.) to use a 40mm tire in dry conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got a smartweld Diverge and really love this bike. Can do anything with it with the stock 30/32 tires : commuting, long road ride, gravel, forest trail shortcuts, trailering the kids etc...
The bike is really fun to handle and climb really well (I live on top of a mountain with a 1km climb containing 3 sections : 15%-19%-15%)
I have a couple of road bikes (cervélo Rs carbon, Guru praemio R titanium, marinoni turismo steel) and this aluminium bike is really the one I would keep if I had to choose only one...

diverge1.jpg diverge2.jpg diverge3.jpg

·
bipedal
733 Posts
beautiful country you're riding in v80, where is it?

yes, it's amazing what you can do the stock Roubaix tires, but try something a bit wider with some tread and you can really take advantage of the Diverge's off-pave potential

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just north of Quebec city !
I can only imagine what it could do with some larger tires, but I commute to work with it and still do 80-90% of road riding on it, so I find the stock tires perfect, rolling really well on our not so good road over here (winter is hard on pavement...) and still very resistant to sharp rocks.

Jacques-Cartier National Park :

diverge5.jpg

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Just up your way in Baie St. Paul last month...v. nice area! Saw TONS of cyclists.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I rode the 2015 Comp Smartweld this week and almost left the shop with it. It was marked down $400 to clear it out but still about a grand out of my price range. I may order a 2016 Elite DSW when they are available.

The Comp was incredible. Man did it want to get up and go! Great geometry and the 58 seemed so dialed right off the shelf. I'm a little worried potentially missing out on the stopping power of the 785 hydros if I go with the Elite and get the Spyres though.

Great bike!!

·
bipedal
733 Posts
E277 - If you go with Elite model you might deal with the shop to exchange the TRP Spyre mechanical calipers for TRP Hy/Rd hydraulic calipers (a simple swap). The Hy/Rds are noticeably better than the Spyres in terms of power and modulation and worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The hydraulic brakes are really nice, especially on gravel turning descents where you want just the right amount of slowing. I have now more than 1000 km on my diverge and still in love with it. It is just a great can-do-it-all bike, with a great handling. In the coming weeks I will test it for a 2 day road trip with 200+ km (125 miles) with 8000-9000 ft ascents per day !
(Tigeo : I will be passing in baie st-paul for this ride indeed ;-) )

I chose to take the diverge for this ride (even if I have a 16 pound titanium bike that I love) for the more comfy ride with the 30/32 mm and more carrying space with the SWAT box installed... Well see how it goes !

gotta loves those rolling hills :
21.jpg

With the SWAT box the saddle bag is ready to take some things for the longer rides
22.jpg

The bike still feels great with a trailer attached :
23.jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Other problem is availability. The shops say there are no 2016's available yet on the site and no dates. Could be a month or two and I miss out on the tail end of the season. The shop I may get the '15 from is offering 12 months no interest to take the initial bite out of going with the more expensive model so I will probably bite the bullet.

Of course I started during the test ride with the most expensive model and then jumped on some others with Sora and junk brakes and nothing even felt safe after the 105 with hydros. I was able to one finger stop the bike with no front brake at all!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes. Aluminum frame only though. The full carbon does not have mount points. Maybe racks can be attached regardless but I am not familiar with them if so.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts