Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone post some pics, or give me some insight as to how this thing works? It came with my SX Trail...does it really help, or is it just a gimmick? I will be running a Sram X.9.

·
Registered
258 Posts
if its the same one that i have seen on the bighits... its just a piece that slides over an axle fitting and has a pin that slides into the RD mounting bolt. Once everything is set up tighten up the 5mm bolt on the axle fitting and you should be good to go.

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
When i got my SXT Frame, the derailleur guard didnt come with the silver end nut for the QR skewer, i guess they assume you will be running a bolt on axle. I did however end up getting an extra QR nut from the shop. I run them on all my mtb bikes, just in case :)

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
There's no trick to them, but if you check out the '06 BigHit manual from the Specialized website it explains how to fit the different types (bolt/QR). I use a DMR bolt-on hub which differs from the Specialized hub (195mm axle) that I got when I bought my '07 BigHit frame, so the fitting you see in the picture is, well...cobbled, you could say...

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

As you can see, the bottom corner has already taken a pretty big hit (no pun intended) which may well have been enough to knock the hanger out of shape or scuffed the mech pivot.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Do I need to use the black shim type piece if I am running a bolt on."

Yes, because the two flat edges correspond with the two flat edges of the slide-on clamp (the clamp is pulled off slightly for clarity)...

Machine Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part Nut

...it's mostly how the assembly achieves its rigidity, otherwise the whole thing, incuding the derailleur, would be able to rotate around the end of the axle, thus rendering the whole thing more or less useless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.