Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice the adjustable seatpost on the high-end '09 Enduros? In the Spec it is listed as: Specialized Command Post, 110mm Adjustable height, Remote Operated, single-bolt head

I have been looking at the Crank Bros Joplin but would consider this seatpost from Specialized if it is comparable. Does anyone have any info on it (price, performance, etc...), I can not seem to find it under components.

·
100% italian mtbiker
194 Posts
yeah, it's not mentioned on the updated S website... I'd like to know the price and the length of the outer tube (the stock seatpost on 08 enduros was way too long for an M sized frame - had to cut it).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=39587
* Exclusive mechanical 3-position locking height adjustment
* 100mm height adjustment range
* On-the-fly adjustable ride via a handlebar mounted lever
* Keyed, locking system eliminates saddle movement
* 30.9mm outer diameter
* 450mm length
* Approx. weight: 440g (post only)

http://www.crankbrothers.com/seatposts_joplinr.php
material aluminum
post length 382mm
weight 534g
adjustment range 75mm / 3in.
cable type standard shift cable
diameters 30.9mm and 31.6mm
warranty 2 years
msrp $285

As long as the price is right, I would have to agree that the Spec seatpost is far superior to the Joplin. The AMP might be a different situation :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
$300 for CommandPost

You can add the CommandPost to the online shopping cart by using the link below. Price $300 plus tax and shipping. Do you think you will be able to find it cheaper in 09?

Lumbee1 said:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=39587
* Exclusive mechanical 3-position locking height adjustment
* 100mm height adjustment range
* On-the-fly adjustable ride via a handlebar mounted lever
* Keyed, locking system eliminates saddle movement
* 30.9mm outer diameter
* 450mm length
* Approx. weight: 440g (post only)

http://www.crankbrothers.com/seatposts_joplinr.php
material aluminum
post length 382mm
weight 534g
adjustment range 75mm / 3in.
cable type standard shift cable
diameters 30.9mm and 31.6mm
warranty 2 years
msrp $285

As long as the price is right, I would have to agree that the Spec seatpost is far superior to the Joplin. The AMP might be a different situation :)

·
Back at it and LOVIN' it!
273 Posts
zorg said:
When will it be available?
Lumbee1 said:
...As long as the price is right
Post is available at Specialized specific stores at the $300.00 price tag - They had only one and it wasn't in the system yet plus the guy there was surprised to see it already

mdsjack said:
...If it can't be cut somehow...
You can not cut it...schrader valve at the bottom would prevent that

·
273 Posts
Did anybody's come with BOTH the left and right side levers? Mine came only with what I'm assuming to be the right...opposite of the one in the photos

Also...what is the max psi?

·
273 Posts
I was just checking because the article referenced above says it comes with BOTH

I used mine on the right because of the tapered bar and the trigger was in the way - Either way it feels the same

·
Registered
2 Posts
More info please!

I'm very interested in getting one of these for my 2008 enduro sl. I recently tried the sette adjustable post and really liked the convenience that adjustable posts offer. Unfortunately, the sette version is a heavy piece of junk (mine broke after 3 rides, I opened it up and saw how poorly made and unserviceable it is and decided to replace it with a quality version).
From using the sette, I realized that 4" of adjustment is just barely enough, and that 5" to 6" would really be ideal for me.

I'm roughly 6 feet tall with longish legs for my height, I'm on a specialized 2008 enduro sl size L

I cut my stock enduro seat post down so that it measures just under 13 inches from the end of the post to the seat rails. This means that the dimension from the top of the frame to the seat rails is 3.5" when fully lowered. I'm happy with the range of adjustment that this allows, and hope to find an adjust on the fly seat post that will give me a similar range of positions (I do a little bit of free riding which is best with the seat as low as I can get it, but there are also times when I'm climbing hills, so I'm using about 5" of adjustment on the standard (stock) seat post I have right now.

In addition to the specialized command post, I'm considering the AMP 5" adjustable post and the superstar/KS/pure racing cobra i900r 5" adjustable post

The cobra i900 scares me because there is so little information about it out there, and right now no one seems to know if it will last or if it has a warrantee. They aren't even trying to hide the fact that its an asian designed/manufactured part, and after my experience with the sette, I'm very hesitant to gamble on it. Plus I didn't run across anyone selling it in the USA yet (let me know if you find a reputable online retailer selling it).

The amp 5" post looks like it might be a good option, except that the minimum post protrusion dimension they list for the 5" version is 8.25", which is significantly longer than the 4" that my current (stock) seat post protrudes when fully lowered. In other words, I'm worried it won't go low enough, and I'm don't know if it can be cut down.

As a result of all this I think I'll end up going with the specialized command post. From the pictures in the other thread, it looks like it can go about as low as what my (cut down) stock post will do, and it was pretty much designed for my bike. I also trust the company selling it a lot more than some of the others out there.

QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE TO GET ANSWERS TO:
1. When the command post is fully lowered and inserted all the way in a size L enduro sl, how far is it from the top of the bike frame to the seat post rails?
2. From the pictures in the other thread, it looks like it might be possible to cut about a half an inch off the end of the command post. Can anyone confirm this?
3. It looks like the command post has the same offset to the rear (setback) as the stock enduro post... Can anyone confirm this?
4.Does anyone have any experiences to share concerning the cobra i900r and its dimensions when fully collapsed, extended, ect. Is it cut down able?
5. Does anyone have any experience to share concerning the AMP 5" post and its dimensions when fully collapsed, extended, ect. Is it cut down able?
6. Is the range of adjustment on the command post 110 or 100mm? (I've seen both spec'd)

Thanks,
I really appreciate the input,
-Dan

G

·
I saw the Specialized command post in a local shop last week. It was priced at $300 according to the owner of the shop. It didn't have any of the other parts in the case next to it so I don't how many levers it came with, etc... but it looked great! I thought it looked much better than any of the other options on the market right now.

So, the point of my post is that they are starting to appear in shops.

1 - 20 of 529 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.