Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a Specialized Command post. Almost immediately I began having problems where the post would not return to the fully extended position from the fully compressed position. It would typically get to the mid-position detent and either stop or continue part-way to the top but very slowly. As it never made it all the way up, as soon as I sat down the post would drop to the mid-position.

Initially, I thought this was simply a cable tension issue and dialed in a little tension at the Barrel adjuster and that seemed to help but only for about a day. As the problem returned and the cable tension was correct the only other thing it could be is air pressure as the air-spring provides the return force / rate. I checked the air pressure and found 0 psi where the factory setting is supposed to be 25 psi. The post can be set as high as 35 psi to adjust the return rate so I went with 30 psi as I want to seat to return fast. Well, two days later the problem was back. Again, I connected my shock pump and found that the post had lost 15 psi in just two days!

If you are a Command Post user can you post up your results on this issue? I saw a few other people in other Command Post threads that appear to be seeing the same problem. I’m just curious if only a few of us got defective product.

Paging Speci-SuspensionTech……help!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Might not be relevent but ive just bought one of these and it seems to be suffering from the cold! Leave the bike in a warm room and it works fine with 25psi bringing the post back up to the power position really quickly. Pop it outside (its just about 3 or 4 here at the moment typical bloody English winter!) and the old girl starts working in slow motion. I m thinking that maybe spesh have put a really thick grease in it somewhere and its slowing it down. The only way to overcome it is to put about 40psi into it which frankly, scares me cos i dont want to blow a seal. Could do with someone letting me know how crucial the 30psi max pressure is or if i can run it higher when its cold. Is anyone else using it in the cold?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
crispycritter said:
Might not be relevent but ive just bought one of these and it seems to be suffering from the cold! Leave the bike in a warm room and it works fine with 25psi bringing the post back up to the power position really quickly. Pop it outside (its just about 3 or 4 here at the moment typical bloody English winter!) and the old girl starts working in slow motion.
I've noticed a slight slow down when it gets really cold here in California (7C / 45F :D ) . It does, however, fully extend and lock at the top. Gets quicker with just a small increase up to 10C / 50F.

The only time it refuses to fully extend is when the pressure is low from the leak.

BTW....per the documentation, the max is 35 psi.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well it didnt take long. The command post has died. Wont hold any air, god knows where its going. Did a dunk test and it revealed nothing, but fill it up and overnight, all the air magically disappears. It goes back to spesh tomorrow but ive got a horrible feeling that this is a product that is going to need a load more r and d which would explain why they are so hard to come by. Maybe the big s learned a nasty lesson with the e150 and now only lets risky designs go out in limited supply to limit the damage to its reputation.......

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took mine back to my LBS who called Spec while I was there. Spec said it would need to go back for factory service. Apparently, they were having issues with early production units and the Schraeder (sp?) valve is leaking though Spec rep on the phone was not 100% sure and was going to confirm.

I don't know if it is just the plunger in the valve or how the entire valve assembly is installed. The LBS didn't want to swap mine as all the units they had in stock had sequential serial numbers and could potentially have issues. I agreed -- would rather get a proper fix from the factory rather than rolling the dice on another post that could have issues.

·
Registered
552 Posts
wholly crap! First their claim of fame forks hit the wall and now their seatpost! Specialized certianly is brave by selling oveerpriced bikes with their inhouse crappy parts. Sorry to hear that you guys have had such issues with your seatposts..... especially for the price Specialized is selling them for.
That being said, I was looking into getting the commander but due to the issues I am reading here I think the tried and true Joplin is going to be the safer bet. Roughly the same weight and price but proven out in the field

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stylie said:
.........That being said, I was looking into getting the commander but due to the issues I am reading here I think the tried and true Joplin is going to be the safer bet. Roughly the same weight and price but proven out in the field
Yes, is sucks that often Specialized customers are really BETA testers; however, Spec has usually come through and resolved the issues.........sometimes it just takes a while (cough cough E150 cough cough).

Do your research on the Joplin first. There are a lot of complaints about "seat wobble" for lack of a better term caused by a lot of play in the Joplins' design. Plus, the Specialized Command post drops 4" where the Joplin only drops 3". Additionally, they Spec has a cool mid-position that you can quickly drop to for cruising. I really like the trigger design over the Joplin as well. My LBS is also dropping the Joplin due to all the failures they have had to deal with.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Spec 306 hits it on the head there. During my stop in the states recently after having difficulties finding someone who sold Command Posts i almost opted for a Joplin. Chap in the bike shop in San Francisco wouldnt sell me one because every one they've sold so far has come back and he didnt want me having the same problem from overseas. Still as it goes, the spesh option didnt exactly work too great either!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ocguy2004 said:
wow...lots of negative comments about the command post...anyone having positive experiences? i just got one and was about to install it...yikes!
ocgyy2004 -- Don't take my posting the wrong way. Aside from the air pressure loss I love this thing! It really works great and makes transitions from climbing to downhill to just cruising a breeze since I don't have to stop all the time to adjust the seat height.

Pros-

-4" range vs. 3" of Joplin
-Zero seat play where I hear this is a big complaint with Joplin
-Joplin has had a high failure rate -- have to see how things play out once Spesh gets this Schraeder valve issue straightened out.
-Three positions work well and are just the right height for me.
-Same set-back and clamp as the stock seat post on my enduro SL.

Cons
-Cost -- $300.00 US
-This air loss issue. I should have my post back in a couple of days...will see if Spesh got it worked out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Command Post installed (very easy). works great...2 days and no air leak...thats promising :) will take it out for it's 1st ride this saturday...we'll see how it performs on the trail. big decision is to put remote on left or right.....hmmmmmm :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
My command post made it back to me in a week. Not a bad turn around I'd say. Sure feels different than it did before I returned it. Before, even if it had air it felt like there was some damping action going on in it. Now it pretty much pops. Don't know if that's good or bad but it didn't hold air before so I'm hoping whatever difference there is is the way it's supposed to be.

One odd thing the "rebuilder" did though was assemble the unit such that the ruler or scale (the printing that shows you how far it's inserted into the frame) is now in front instead of in back like it was before. Where is the scale on your command posts? Don't suppose it makes any difference but it seems strange.

·
Registered
278 Posts
had command post out for 3hr downhill ride....used it a lot during the ride and it worked great. used all 3 positions. only issue was that after a big drop the seat tilted up a bit...suppose i just need to tighen it a bit more next time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
mine tilted a bit at first. I read the paper work which states 120 in /lbs for that bolt. Once I torqued it the thing hasn't budged. Proper torque was way way tighter than I had it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Speedster said:
Just got one but havent installed yet - looks precious.

How do you determine which side to mount the trigger?

07 Enduro SL PC
it comes with a lefty trigger, but you can mount it on either side...whichever is more comfy for you. i had it right, then decided to move it to the left. easy to switch if you change you mind.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.