Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m no stranger to droppers. I’ve had a Gravity, a Gravity knock-off, 2 reverbs, and a PNW over the years.
I recently bought my wife a Specialized Fuze with a 75mm drop externally routed Command Post and was literally SHOCKED at the speed which it returned to the top of the stroke.
I mean it SLAMS upward like a Gravity Dropper with a really stiff spring.
I checked the air pressure, it’s between 25 and 30psi, the manual says max 45psi.
Frankly, it scares my wife, and makes me nervous. So it’s definitely coming off. The question is: can I slow it down so it’s usable? Or is this normal operation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Normal and nothing wrong with it.

I have the IR model and also a Race Face Aeffect (on another bike). I'll take the instant release any day over a yawner of a return speed.

When I press the button for the saddle to rise, I want it to um.....rise.

Give her a few uses and see what she thinks of it. I honestly can't think of a reason why one wouldn't like it. Internet claims are all over the place, but in the end it sounds like people don't like it because "it's faster than the others".

Confirm the manual is correct for your model too. I think my IR model (2016 bike) is stated as max pressure at 25 or maybe as much as 30. If I reduce the air it won't function properly. Excessive air is not good for the seals. In the cold though, it is slow to return all the way and it needs a bit of a lift to fully lock. I will probably service mine this fall with fresh grease. Yeah, that is off topic. But the speed you're describing is probably right nonetheless.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,173 Posts
Yes, it should return super fast.

However, I would not let it do so too often. I "ride" my seatpost to its return position, or kinda use my leg to slow it's return.

To many top outs can damage the collet, and when that fails it'll need a full (and increasingly hard to source parts for) rebuild.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yes, it should return super fast.

However, I would not let it do so too often. I "ride" my seatpost to its return position, or kinda use my leg to slow it's return.

To many top outs can damage the collet, and when that fails it'll need a full (and increasingly hard to source parts for) rebuild.
If you are having to ride a seatpost up or use a leg to guide it up to prevent damage it is poorly designed...there are plenty that do not need to be coddled to perform correctly

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was quite the experience the first time. Seems very curious, I can't figure out why it was designed like that, when it very clearly doesn't have to be.

Regardless- it's on eBay now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,173 Posts
The Command Post internals were also designed/first released nearly 10 years ago when we didnt have the options we did today and everyone thought the Reverb was the best thing ever. While other companies and designs have changed those internals mutiple times, the Command Post has stayed pretty much the same.

Me? Ive been running two of them for nearly 4 years. They both do what I need them to do - go down when I press the SRL remote and up when I press it again.

They are also one of the few droppers that offer and offset head, the other being the $400 NinePointEight. Unfortunately Specialized has revised the deisgn and no longer offers an offset head on the newest Command Post “V4”, making it pretty much identical to everything else on the market and its uniqueness of offset and ball-slapping return speed will be lost to history.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.