Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Specialized Comp Carbon 29 and the Trek Fuel EX 9. Both 2014's. The bike will be used for single track in Northern Utah, Moab, and a White Rim in a day trip. Any feedback on the two?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the ex9. I literally want to have sex with it. I looked at the camber and camber evo. Trek blows em away imo. The only thing left to change on the ex9 would be carbon wheels or talk to your lbs and try and get the 2014 wheels with it. Something not many people think about is trek care plus. Worth the extra money for sure.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Are you more of a shimano or Sram guy? Both good bikes. I think the regular camber is alittle more XC oriented. I briefly rode a camber while it is a nice bike I prefer shimano components. I just sold my Fuel EX8 29er for a Niner and still stayed with shimano even though I could have bought the X01 equipped bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At this point I'm fine with either SRAM or Shimano, more concerned about the right frame choice.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I looked at the specs of the camber, there seems to be a big mix of shimano, Sram, and formula brakes. The Fuel is full XT right down to the rotors. It seems that specialized put a bag of parts together to hit a price point. While it may work together fine I like a complete package. The geometry is similar between the two with the fuel being slightly more slack (may not even be noticeable riding). The wheel base seems like it is shorter across the board which should handle tight trails slightly better. The suspension on the Trek is better. What it seems to come down to is better components or carbon frame. I know the trek has a life time frame warranty while I suspect the carbon camber does not. I can say from experience Trek has been good to me with my frame warranty. After owning a Fuel 29 I thought it to be a great bike. It is efficient and handles a wide variety of trails. I would buy the Trek as it leaves little to be desired off the showroom floor and considering you riding in Utah I would want the little more suspension travel. Try to work in a deal that includes the new style rhythm elite wheels. I have found a good set of wheels can really make a difference. Also there is a guy in the Trek forum that just bought a Fuel EX9 and had the wheel upgrade along with a carbon bar and a couple other upgrades. Hit him up, he has a very nicely equipped bike set up perfect for your riding area.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a new enduro and came from a Fuel EX9. I can't say what the camber is like but I enjoy my spec and and enjoyed my Trek; I switched as I wanted something with longer travel.

That being said I couldn't SRAM shifters that came with the spec after having Shimano parts for years.

Both companies are large so from a warranty perspective I think you would be in good shape.

BTW; I had a Gary FIsher Hi Fi Pro that had carbon seat stays that broke due to me crashing; Trek warrantied it and gave me the Fuel EX 9 frame free and clear...not bad

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
With my post from earlier, does specialized have a different warranty on their carbon bikes?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a fuel EX 7. Love the bike. It does not have a carbon frame but I still love it :) I'm about 5'5 and the geometry took a little getting used to. I have upgraded my parts quite a bit, XT crank and SLX brakes (both w/ 180mm rotors) including some Roval Carbon Control wheels and a carbon handlebar. The EX9 has XT all the way and that's worth it for sure. I believe the EX9 comes with nicer wheel set than mine did (duster 29s). In any case, the DCRV shocks w/ 120mm travel rock. Barring me doing any crazy downhill, it's a pretty flexible bike and performs really well! Also, ABP (active braking pivot) technology on the bike has literally saved me on some steep single track downhills.....literally. Prevents the suspension from locking up under braking. TOTALLY works :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts