Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of history I just recently bought the basic Camber which I like but I want something better and lighter since I have found I love mountain biking. Both the bikes the tallboy and camber expert have the same components basically and can be bought for the price. The Santa Cruz appears to be 1-2lbs lighter which I like but I am told the Camber is more comfortable and a better upright ridding bike. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Has someone ridden these two back to back and have opinions?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ride both. I went in to get a tallboy and left with the epic. It wasn't even close. I really thought about the expert evo....it has some of the best reviews I have seen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to ride both but the closest Santa Cruz dealer is 5 hours away and they do not have the carbon version in stock. I to love the epic but it seems more of a race bike and a more forward and aggressive ridding position. So I will be buying either bike sight unseen unfortunately. I am sure the camber is similar to the one I have but just a lot lighter and better components.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I tested both the Epic and the TBc at the McDowell Mtn. bike park. They both had features I liked but the TB for me was quicker and snappier out of turns and up short steeps. I have friends that ride both and like their bike so the old test ride. The specialized has the brain shock to deal with so for me the TBc was better.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
First off, I had a TBc and loved it. I originally had a Stumjumper without a Brain. So, first I started looking to upgrade the craptasic Triad on my SJ- nope can't do that, Specialized decide to use a propitiatory connection to the yoke. Hmm.

So the LBS is also a SC dealer and he got in a TBLT in as a demo bike so I figured what the hell and took it for a test ride- would have been better for my wallet if I hadn't.
Came back from that ride ad ordered the TBc. The TB pedals better in full open that the SJ did in pro-pedal.

So in the end you have decide what you like.
The Specialized- proprietary parts, without a Brain will bob like a mother climbing, 1/2 carbon frame. Performance level Fox $6300

The TBc, non proprietary parts, Factory level Fox, full carbon frame, cheaper XT kit $5400 XO-1 $6092 .

In the end VPP of the TBc just felt better to me- some people hate them.

We can't tell you which would be better for you, but to me the negatives of the FSR suspension, better specs for the money combined with the business tactics of the big S are enough to say I'm done with Specialized- and I've had a bunch of them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Everyone here seems to go with the "but it has the brain" thing. The Camber line doesn't have it. After riding a VPP bike, I was blown away by how much more plush suspension was with FSR. It tracked better and made descending much more enjoyable. With that said, quick climbs with my Santa Cruz were faster thanks to VPP.

Bonus with the Camber is, if you go with the Evo Expert, you get the lowered Pike.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Everyone here seems to go with the "but it has the brain" thing. The Camber line doesn't have it. After riding a VPP bike, I was blown away by how much more plush suspension was with FSR. It tracked better and made descending much more enjoyable. With that said, quick climbs with my Santa Cruz were faster thanks to VPP.

Bonus with the Camber is, if you go with the Evo Expert, you get the lowered Pike.
And that's why nobody can tell him which- he has to decide. For me the improved climbing of the VPP was worth the small trade off in downhill plushness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a word of warning, I am the owner of a Camber Carbon Comp 2012 which 'has' been fabulous to ride but in January 2013 broke (18months riding) it was returned to Specialized UK for a warranty claim, this was refused. What was the issue and why it was refused warranty follows. The aluminium tube which is bonded into the carbon frame and carries the main pivot bearings is no longer bonded to the carbon it has broken loose and can spin within the frame. On the face of it a clear warranty issue or so I thought when the frame went back to Specialized however on strip down the outer drive side bearing was seized one of 3 bearings carrying the main pivot, Specialized have said that this seized bearing has caused the frame damage. Just to note the offending bearing has now finally been removed and looks in perfect condition apart from the fact that it is seized, I have left all the other rear suspension bearings as they are in perfect condition 'no play' the retaining pin which goes through the main pivot is unmarked and I believe should be badly scared where the bearing has not been rotating. Think what you like !!!!!. Any way its taken 3 1/2 months but that area of the frame is now full of resin holding the main pivot tube in place, bike is re-built and was used for the first time today. So to conclude buy the Santa Cruz, or save up and buy a Ibis Ripley which I hope will be my next purchase when funds permit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are yall talking about the Tallboy2? I know the TB2 was redesigned to be a more efficient climber, which is exactly what I want. Yall seem to think the Tallboy 2 Carbon is a great climber, eh? I haven't ridden VPP yet, but can't wait to.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The only thing I like about the Spechy is the lowered Pike, but that is it. From what I understand RS is working on kits where a person could lower the Pike to 120 or 130mm of travel. I would go for the Tallboy 2 in carbon. I had a TB carbon version 1 and it climbed outstanding. It was just a fast and fun bike, it made MTBing seem too easy. Sounds like Spechy has sketchy warranty policy too.

Santa Cruz probably has some of the best warranty customer service, you may not need it though, they build their carbon bikes bomb proof. They are known for their stout carbon bikes!

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
Owned a variety of both Spec. and Santa Cruz bikes. Both greats bikes, but radically different suspension performance. You'll need to decide which you prefer.

It's pretty fashionable these days to hate on Specialized, as evidenced by some of the comments. You're free to figure out if that's a valid way of thinking. I will say my Specialized warranty experience was the best I've ever had from any MTB company ever. Period.

I think a lot of that depends on the quality of the shop you're dealing with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2015 Specialized Camber Expert vs 2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to add my two cents since I just test rode both bikes. I thought the Camber was a far better put together bike; better components and better handling. This is just my opinion, and to quantify, I'm only an amateur rider; I don't race or anything. I just like a nice, somewhat light bike that handles well on Central Coast CA trails and hard-pack. I rode the camber in a field with no path that consisted of somewhat rough terrain, with dips and multiple spots of soft sand, and it just rolled over everything with ease, and the handling felt better to me than a couple Treks I test rode awhile back (Fuel ex 7 and 9 and Superfly 6).

I believe the TBC is slightly lighter; the camber I rode was about 27.5lbs with the cheap over 1/2lb peddles that were on it for the test ride. The LBS weighed it right in front of me. The Tallboy wasn't weighed, but to me, it felt maybe a pound or so lighter, but I'm not positive?

·
Trail Rider
1,425 Posts
My previous large TB2 cc stock XT with the exception of Roval Carbon wheels with xtr pedals and Cytoe skid plate was 25.8 pounds. Add 200 grams for the stock WTB Frequency 19 wheelset.

I work at a dealer that sells both Specialized and Santa Cruz bikes (Top Ten SC dealer in the US).

Both are cool bikes, but I am biased (see signature).

Both companies have great CS, the only difference I have seen is the crash replacement prices through SC are way more affordable.

Some things to consider (other than how it rides, which is most important)when dropping that much coin:

Spez: pros-carbon wheels + XTR rear derailleur, command post

cons: Aluminum rear triangle, SLX shifters, X7 front derailleur, Performance (lower end) Fox suspension, Press Fit BB, cheap 1050 Sram cassette.

$5900 for SLX shifters, alloy bar, and X7 front der??> Tripping!!:skep:

SC TB2 XT cc: pros: full carbon frame, threaded bb, full XT drivetrain, Santa Cruz carbon bar, Factory Fox suspension, $500 cheaper.

cons: doesn't come with carbon wheels or a dropper, SLX chain

IMO the SC threaded axle/locking collet linkage is the more easily serviced, and trickest system out there.

I'm comparing the Camber Expert Carbon in the op's title btw.

The Expert Evo is also a very cool bike: 120mm front and rear, Factory rear shock and Pike up front, X01, but doesn't come with the carbon hoops, still a press fit, and alloy bars.

So did you end up with a new bike Jalnsx?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I tested a few bikes, both compared here and the Ibis Ripley, Pivot 429 and bought...the Specialized Camber Comp Evo Carbon. It does everything well and has internal routing and able to hold a bottle inside the frame.

So very happy with my choice and just can't get enough of the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts