Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
one less car
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it ppl have such a hate on for them? they don't seem all that bad to me.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
For better or worse they've become the Microsoft of bikes. (I've heard the same about Trek or Giant too, so it's not just them.)

My only issues I have (and why my next bikes won't be Specialized) are:

1) Value. If I want a budget built bike there are now better choices. That comes on the lower and the upper end. I think I could kit out a Ellsworth, Turner, Ventana or Titus for the same or less than the top of the line Stumpy.

2) Propietary parts. Weird sizes for shocks, tapered steerer tubes (start at 1 1/2 -> 1 1/8, etc.

3) Lots of house brand parts. Not all are bad - they've used DT stuff in the past rebranded for them. But it's hit or miss and no way of knowing.

They do make decent bikes, and they have a good feel for 'em. My wife chose a Specialized for her last bike over a Giant and a Jamis that were in the same price range.

JmZ

·
Registered
963 Posts
You need to read through some of those 20 page threads and see what people are saying about why they don't like the big S.

I think they offer a pretty good bike, but I agree with what JMZ posted. Add to that the fact that the big S has used some pretty tough business tactics and people get bitter about them.

Watch the movie "Klunkerz" and see what you think. It gives me some heartburn how Specialized got the frame design that put the company on the map. Add to that the fact that they are very protective (lawsuits) of everything that they can even remotely lay claim to.

I think they are pretty good bikes, but I just don't like them as a company so I spend my money elsewhere.

·
one less car
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx. shoulda figured there might be a thread on them here, somewhere.

·
dog lover-not in that way
269 Posts
It's what I ride; but then again, I'm typing this using a Windows PC.:rolleyes:

I understand the criticism above but I also understand business; it ain't always pretty. I bought a specialized frame and built up the bike using almost entirely non-proprietary parts. But they do come pre-configured using a lot of their own stuff (or rebranded stuff).

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Not everyone hates them. While my current MTB is not a specialized, my roadie is. I also ride with a few folks who chose to ride specialized rigs.

At some point in life you realize that a good rider, is the one who has the most fun! It has little to do with the bike he or she is on, as long as it can hold up to the abuse they dish. That being said, I have seen very few issues with any of the specialized bikes around me.

Given time, folks will dish about how tuner or titus sold out and no cool people would be caught dead on one.

I ride a Santa Cruz and it seems that lately these bikes have been catching the same kind of heat as the specialized.

Sooner or later all brands will be on the chopping block.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Seems people like to jump on the "hate bandwagon" when a company or sports team becomes the Big Dog in field or sport they are in. This may mean that Specialized is the best out there? I own a Tarmac SL road bike, I love it.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Shmack said:
Not everyone hates them. While my current MTB is not a specialized, my roadie is. I also ride with a few folks who chose to ride specialized rigs.

At some point in life you realize that a good rider, is the one who has the most fun! It has little to do with the bike he or she is on, as long as it can hold up to the abuse they dish. That being said, I have seen very few issues with any of the specialized bikes around me.

Given time, folks will dish about how tuner or titus sold out and no cool people would be caught dead on one.

I ride a Santa Cruz and it seems that lately these bikes have been catching the same kind of heat as the specialized.

Sooner or later all brands will be on the chopping block.
X2. :)

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
mikeb said:
it's Dead Horse Day here at the Flying Buffalo Ranch...
BTW - should I run my brakes moto style and should I grease the tapers on my crank too?

;)

JmZ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts