Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a deposit down on a 2021 Levo Comp for my wife two weeks ago and msrp was $6300. I just went to specialized website and saw that they raised the prices on the same model, same year to $7500 and changed absolutely nothing. $1200 increase. A 19% Increase.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
So, aluminum as a commodity cost more, labor cost more, shipping cost more, fancy licensed suspension designs cost more...
This has mainly been in the last year, rather than an ongoing thing, I’m not sure who Specialized licence anything from, they owned the patent which has expired I thought.

Even basic level suspension blows away top suspension from your precious 2005 enduro nowadays. That. Cost. Money.
This isn’t true. Coil forks or shocks have changed very little in probably twenty years. The biggest improvement has been tapered steerers and weight reduction, while we’ve got a worse axle standard in 15mm instead of 20mm. I have several coil forks in 145 and 150mm that ride as well as anything today if not better. Entry level stuff now is still pretty nasty in some cases.

Drivetrains are more reliable, better shifting. Tires have more grip and durability, dropper post actually work and come onbasically all mountain bikes. Wheels don’t taco when you look at them wrong, hubs don’t explode after one muddy ride...
You can fit droppers to old bikes, you can fit 11 speed Shimano to almost any bike manufactured from the mid nineties onwards. 20mm and 26” wheels didn’t taco anymore than modern wheels. Bracing angles were worse on early 650B and 29ers without the boost change (which we probably didn’t need if the existing 20mm and 150mm were used). Remember when Super Tacky and Slow Reezays came out? Have we progressed hugely since then? Perhaps on the trail side of things. Are drivetrains better? I was 1x9 then, I didn't really have any shifting issues, NW and clutches are brilliant though. But again, these can be put on old bikes.

Now, let’s get to the cost of sending stuff to New Zealand. Shipping is insane and it’s a small market. It’s going to cost a ton.
That’s true, but they’re still shipping stuff to the US. Specialized have already hinted at this change with a direct to consumer model.

Now wait, you’re also looking at a CARBON BIKE compared to when you purchased an Aluminum bike!
Yep I realise, which is why I said it. It is difficult to make a direct comparison as 2014 Carbon Enduros had a higher spec.

In the US, the Enduro Comp (yes, with a carbon frame) is $4,700.
And here it’s $6000US.

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
If you really look at it, you can build your own hardtail for a ridiculously low price and have a bike that would have been on the cover of Mountain Bike Action ten years ago as a "Game Changer" and "Quiver Killer." ...

Yeah, you're going to have to spend a little money but it is a hobby. The anger at bike prices comes from not being able to afford the more expensive stuff. There is certainly a difference between a $700 bike and $4000 bike in the same category but not enough to get angry about. Not to mention that if all you can afford are less expensive bikes how do you know the difference? They tell me that Kobe beef is really, really good but since all I've ever eaten are rib eyes from Kroger it doesn't bother me and I don't feel compelled to spend thirty dollars a pound for meat. I also don't lash out at people who spend that kind of money.
This exactly.
So many people here seem convinced they NEED top of the line stuff, and riding anything else would be below them, or that not having the absolute best and shiniest gizmo is what's slowing them down.
Makes me laugh.

If you're a good enough rider to actually be able to reap the full benefit of a $7000 bike, then you're not paying that much for them.
Otherwise, quit whining, buy what you can afford, and always keep in mind that there're lots of people out there on bikes you think you're too good for riding more, harder and faster than you.
Chances are they aren't spending their time complaining about how tough shopping is.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,267 Posts
Frankly, SpecialEd doesn't offer custom geo and color choice which can be easily had through Waltworx or a long list of others. So whaddevuh...

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Unfortunately, this is the new normal. They sell their bikes like crazy- road, gravel, e-bikes, MTBs....even their commuter models sell well. Plus, look at any of the established manufacturers like Pivot, Yeti, SC, Evil, and the rest- they have all raised prices over the years where a $6K bike is low-mid level now. People are happy to pay it or finance. Guys have been complaining about this for the last 7-8 years and all that has happened is that prices have kept increasing. No reputation risk either. On the contrary, their bikes seem to be even more desirable.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Unfortunately, this is the new normal. They sell their bikes like crazy- road, gravel, e-bikes, MTBs....even their commuter models sell well. Plus, look at any of the established manufacturers like Pivot, Yeti, SC, Evil, and the rest- they have all raised prices over the years where a $6K bike is low-mid level now. People are happy to pay it or finance. Guys have been complaining about this for the last 7-8 years and all that has happened is that prices have kept increasing. No reputation risk either. On the contrary, their bikes seem to be even more desirable.
This maybe more of the new normal than anyone can believe
the money supply and deficit could lead to further drop in USD
the change in policies concerning energy could ramp up transportation costs even more
World wide bike demand likely to keep increasing , pushing factories to raise prices

If we are not entering a period of upward pressures on prices, I will be shocked

I hate to see bicycle prices going up , but it maybe unavoidable

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had order in place for last 4 or 5 months for the s-works epic evo. I was good with the price and deal I was getting through the lbs. Specialized should have honored bikes on order and not delivered instead of passing on the increase to the lbs if they did not have physical possession yet. Put lbs in a weird place. I did not want to pay another $800 for bike I had already order 4 or 5 months ago. As someone else said, don't like the price don't buy it. I chose not to proceed with my order so I guess someone else is getting theirs quicker than expect but at a higher price. I have a long memory, so when supply is caught back up to demand and bikes are available I will be shopping with a Brand that did not start gouging during the supply restriction period.

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,104 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,084 Posts
The gentleman immediately above my response, who said he would only shop brands that didn’t increase prices during this period.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The gentleman immediately above my response, who said he would only shop brands that didn’t increase prices during this period.
I read it not as specialized raised their prices, they raised prices on a bike he ordered months prior to the increase. We don’t know if specialized jacked the price up on him or the lbs did, either way I support cancelling the order and not doing biz with them again. That’s not right.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting perspective. True, the buyer would not know if the manufacturer or the LBS is raising the price. The LBS could see a big profit by taking in the bike at a lower price and knowing they could now get more for it. There is no way of knowing.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
281 Posts
Sure there is, call Specialized directly and ask for clarity on the situation.

If he finds out the shop is pulling a fast one, Specialized should absolutely be made aware. If it was Specialized, they should have to explain themselves...

61 - 76 of 76 Posts