Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thoughts, comments, concerns, about Specialized bike increases in the last year reaching beyond absurd prices or not? Is there reputation at risk, or is this the new normal?

Cheers

·
since 4/10/2009
30,817 Posts
you're going to have to provide some direction for your other comments, but price increases are the new normal. you're going to be seeing more of it. used bike prices are more responsive to the changes in the market because the sellers are smaller and more agile. they started going up several months ago. the fact that at least some retail prices are increasing shouldn't surprise you.

the industry has been seriously disrupted across the board. from raw material extraction and refinement, to manufacturing problems from plant shutdowns, to product availability from suppliers (with all the same problems), to disruptions in shipping and even sales (retail closures, increased demand, etc). prices were bound to go up.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,205 Posts
I heard they’re trying to sell us on inner tubes now a days too. Some crazy ideas coming out of their basement
:alien:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Who cares? If their prices are absurd, then I pay them no attention. I don't think about Ferraris and then run-off to a car forum to gripe and fish for like-minded opinions of zero consequence.

It's only the tension between interest and inability (to afford what you want) that leads to frustration requiring ventilation. Just convince yourself they're terrible bike-like-objects that will self-combust on dirt, only suitable for the rich and stupid.

But in all seriousness... they (and everybody else in the bike industry) have supply problems, and demand is/has-been exploding. This is merely the logical response.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't know how much their recent price jumps were, but I think that this generation of Specialized bikes has some solid values. Not industry leading, but really solid for a major, bike store brand. 5k is a lot of money for a bike, but the Stumpjumper EVO Expert has a top of the line frame, Performance Elite Suspension (same as Factory, save the Kashima), and an XO/GX drivetrain. That's better than a lot of competitors at that pricepoint. The Hightower - for instance - is $200 more, but has suspension that is a step down and GX across the board. The Trek Slash 9.7 comes in a $200 cheaper with a Rhythm level fork and a mix of NX(!) and GX.

·
Registered
995 Posts
the industry has been seriously disrupted across the board. from raw material extraction and refinement, to manufacturing problems from plant shutdowns, to product availability from suppliers (with all the same problems), to disruptions in shipping and even sales (retail closures, increased demand, etc). prices were bound to go up.
you are completely correct!

I hate high bike prices and fight against them daily, however the headwinds are very strong right now
Ocean freight alone is about triple: USD is falling and driving up prices: all component makers increasing prices

plus the old distribution model is stuck with the formula of computing consumer prices by compounding OEM costs by multiple markups after adding duty and freight: meaning even a $20 increase in ocean can be multiplied by 1.5 and then again by 1.67 - so that $20 becomes $50 to cyclist that buys the bike

however, I will tell you that many in the industry welcome these higher prices as they result in more margin dollars as the percentage markups remain unchanged

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Who cares? If their prices are absurd, then I pay them no attention. I don't think about Ferraris and then run-off to a car forum to gripe and fish for like-minded opinions of zero consequence.

It's only the tension between interest and ability (to afford what you want) that leads to frustration requiring ventilation. Just convince yourself they're terrible bike-like-objects that will self-combust on dirt, only suitable for the rich and stupid.

But in all seriousness... they (and everybody else in the bike industry) have supply problems, and demand is/has-been exploding. This is merely the logical response.
This I’sent about gripping it’s about promoting change through media getting the word out educating others that some prices have raised as high as 30 percent in the last year, and hearing other’s opinions as to what is going on, as public image always wins hey maybe the prices hikes are justified

·
Registered
256 Posts
IMO Specialized has some really strong values. Yes, they have some crazy expensive stuff, so does everyone, but their mid range offerings are a great value and even stack up well against some consumer direct brands. Three or four years ago I wouldn't of said this since they were a bit behind the times on geometry, but they've really stepped up their game.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes, OP. The prices have become over inflated. For reference, Epic EVO S-Works complete is up $800-ish I think. The frame has gone from $3500 to $3900. I bought the frame, and the finish quality is not on par with the price. My example has some layup defects in the head tube where the headset bearings fit, with some material actually missing. But WTF am I supposed to do? No replacements available.

Specialized is making some cool stuff, but I think they are reaching too far on price on some models - not all. The new Stump Jumper S-works frame is $2900. That seems pretty fair, if not a dang good price.

·
Class Clown
2,955 Posts
Yeah that's pretty good for the frame. I like specialized but went elsewhere so I could customize the components more. Also pretty sure they are selling the new stumpy like hotcakes and good luck finding one.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Thoughts, comments, concerns, about Specialized bike increases in the last year reaching beyond absurd prices or not? Is there reputation at risk, or is this the new normal? Has Specialized marketing department become an echo chamber of yes men?

Cheers
How do they compare with the increases made by other companies I wonder?

·
Registered
97 Posts
A few rebuttals to the excellent talking points.
  • The currency exchange rates only varied 10% over the past year. Even when the US Dollar is stronger, the manufacturers raise prices. I believe some of the currency manipulation was to increase the cost of imports to make domestic manufacturing more attractive. I am just throwing this out as I do not know how much this has to do with current pricing.
  • The manufacturing part of the components and assembly is a small part of the over all price of the bike. The marketing budget to pay pro riders to say their bikes are the best and all the sponsorships of races and such is huge. This is the old argument of why pay hundreds for a sneaker endorsed by Michael Jordan that costs dollars to manufacture.
  • How much of the component cost increases are due to the tariffs. Will we see tariffs decrease under the new administration?
  • It is the end of many company's fiscal year. Once the annual reports are out, CEOs will identify the increased profits due to pricing or struggles with higher costs.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What's absurd about Specialized's prices? They may be a little higher than buying a direct-to-consumer brand but not that much more. And they have bikes of the same class in every price range from reasonable to stupid-expensive at the S-works end. I have had quite a few of their bikes and they are always well-made, well-equipped, and a good value for the money.

I paid $4000 for my Stumpjumper Comp Carbon in 2018. It's $4200 now with essentially the same build. I don't think that's outrageous for what you get. You can get the Alloy model for $3400 and the "base" model for $2400. That'a a more than decent full-suspension bike with a dropper post for a very reasonable price.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts