Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been interested in upgrading the link on my 2001 Big Hit. I contacted Specialized an they told me that the 2006 link was the same as the '02 link (the one that used to be in the upgrade kit). I ordered one, but when I went to put it on I realized that the holes for attatching the link to the frame and swingarm are bigger than the holes on my frame. Has anyone had any experience with upgrading their Big Hit with the '06 link? Does anyone know of any type of spacers I could put inside the bearings and link holes to fix this problem? (like a sleeve around the bolt that goes through the bearings in the link and 2 washers that I could put on the holes of the other side to keep the bolt in place)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said there might be a hardware reducer kit or something that I need. They just told me to have my dealer contact them for the parts. Fisrt the bike shop was getting me the link. Latter on they told me that Specialized told them I needed a hardware kit. None of the pieces in the hardware kit are usuable except for the shock mounting bolts which I already have (that was 35$ down the drain). Now the bike shop tolde me that Specialized overnighted them a bearing kit (which I do need). All the people at Specialized seem to give different information. Im just hoping someone here has had some sort of experience with this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Kjcorley said:
I have been interested in upgrading the link on my 2001 Big Hit. I contacted Specialized an they told me that the 2006 link was the same as the '02 link (the one that used to be in the upgrade kit). I ordered one, but when I went to put it on I realized that the holes for attatching the link to the frame and swingarm are bigger than the holes on my frame. Has anyone had any experience with upgrading their Big Hit with the '06 link? Does anyone know of any type of spacers I could put inside the bearings and link holes to fix this problem? (like a sleeve around the bolt that goes through the bearings in the link and 2 washers that I could put on the holes of the other side to keep the bolt in place)
The Big Hit frame changed between 2003 and 2004 and the link got longer. I upgraded my 2001 in 2003 with the 2003 kit and it all fit. My guess is that a 2006 link will work on a 2004 but not on a 2001 - 2003

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, a longer link is one of the ways to increase the travel. Anyway, the bike shop talked with Specialized about this (yet again) and Specialized said they no longer have the parts to make the conversion possible. So I returned those parts and I bought the Risse Racing upgrade link. It should be coming Tuesday so I will see how that works out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.