Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am on my second large volume floor pump from specialized. The first one did not have issues, i just gave it to my ex (my mistake). The new one is having issues for sure. I only use it a few times a week at best and have had it for a few months. The issue is that it seems to leak air when im filling my high volume tires (tubeless, presta valve) and it encounters major resistance when i am pumping, causing the guage to go above the max pressure listed, only to settle and then the needle bounces. The pump leaks from somewhere inside the tube if you dont pull the plunger all the way up or hold it all the way down...I have made sure that all the bolts that hold the tube to the base are tight. it hisses and it just doesnt work very well. I also dont think the guage reads very accurately. I ordered the pump directly from specialized. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Paul

Reactions: Bikeworks

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Hello all,

I am on my second large volume floor pump from specialized. The first one did not have issues, i just gave it to my ex (my mistake). The new one is having issues for sure. I only use it a few times a week at best and have had it for a few months. The issue is that it seems to leak air when im filling my high volume tires (tubeless, presta valve) and it encounters major resistance when i am pumping, causing the guage to go above the max pressure listed, only to settle and then the needle bounces. The pump leaks from somewhere inside the tube if you dont pull the plunger all the way up or hold it all the way down...I have made sure that all the bolts that hold the tube to the base are tight. it hisses and it just doesnt work very well. I also dont think the guage reads very accurately. I ordered the pump directly from specialized. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Paul
I had a similar problem with mine, seemed to only release a partial blast of air from the cannister despite me filling it completely. Then, when I would disconnect from the valve, the rest of the air would rush out of the head. It could be the pump head, could be a valve issue. I ended up just getting a compressor and calling it a day, best decision I ever made since switching to tubeless a few years ago.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a similar problem with mine, seemed to only release a partial blast of air from the cannister despite me filling it completely. Then, when I would disconnect from the valve, the rest of the air would rush out of the head. It could be the pump head, could be a valve issue. I ended up just getting a compressor and calling it a day, best decision I ever made since switching to tubeless a few years ago.
a compressor doesnt go to the trailhead with you

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The problem is not the pump. You're not getting air past the valve into the tire.
The seal is fine, it doesnt have anything to do with it leaking from the valve area, it has something to do internally with the pump. It does the same thing if you put your finger over the hole in the pump head, the pump leaks from inside. It has nothing to do with the seal or valve.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you serviced the pump?
Quick and easy.
Its like 4 months old, i cant believe that it needs a service, the pump head isnt designed to be disasembled. What could possibly be wrong with it. Ill tear it down in the near future.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a plug in one for the truck. Hopefully you get this sorted out, I wasn't able to
Yeah hopefully, my last one was fantastic. This one worked well to seat some tubeless tires twice (4 tires) and specialized has not responded to any technical support email in 72 hours. Hopefully they will just replace it, im not so sure.

Reactions: Bikeworks

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The problem is not the pump. You're not getting air past the valve into the tire.
This!

This can happen when the pump's nozzle isn't fully seated on the valve resulting in hard resistance and the gauge pegging a high reading. Make sure you fully seat the nozzle. Also, sometimes Presta valves can stick just enough that the the air from the nozzle on some pumps can't open it. Take the nozzle off and manually press the vale with your finger to loosen, or un-stick, it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This!

This can happen when the pump's nozzle isn't fully seated on the valve resulting in hard resistance and the gauge pegging a high reading. Make sure you fully seat the nozzle. Also, sometimes Presta valves can stick just enough that the the air from the nozzle on some pumps can't open it. Take the nozzle off and manually press the vale with your finger to loosen, or un-stick, it.
Thanks I've tried this too. Specialized finally responded to my inquiry, they are sending me a new pump here in the near future. What I don't get is, I've now tried to disassemble the pump and reassemble it. That worked fine, there is a pin that is supposed to be captured by the arm on the back of the pump head, which seems to be missing a piece to pull the small plunger that holds the valve down inside the head. It's obviously a problem with the pump head as you alluded to. I've tried cleaning the inside of my valve stems, assuming there was sealant inside or something. That didn't help either my lezyne hv/hp pump on the other hand works fine but just doesn't have the volume that the airtool pump has...
-Paul

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
Take the nozzle off and manually press the vale with your finger to loosen, or un-stick, it.
all bikes all pumps all presta valves

I must pre-burp the valve
or else no pump can overcome the initial presta 'sticking' unless it goes ridiculously high

I assume that OP, since no issues with first pump, knows how to handle presta valves

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
all bikes all pumps all presta valves

I must pre-burp the valve
or else no pump can overcome the initial presta 'sticking' unless it goes ridiculously high

I assume that OP, since no issues with first pump, knows how to handle presta valves
Ive been working in bike shops for many years, i dont now. The post was more of an "does anyone else have experience with this pump and this issue thread".

Im very aware of how a pump works lol. this one is just defective. Specialized is replacing it though so im a bit less irritated by the whole experience. Ive never had a pump not work honestly. I just need this one to work, im headed to orange county for PTSD therapy for an unknown period of time, I dont drive and will be using my bicycles as entertainment and transportation while im there.
-Paul

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Meanwhile....In Morgan Hill.....

Without asking for a receipt or anything, specialized has already placed an order for and shipped a new pump to me within the last few minutes....Crazy, they must have had my email and purchase history on file as I only sent them an inquiry and didnt furnish them with a receipt or anything. That or they are watching mtbr (yeah right). Anyways. New pump on the way with almost no questions asked. Awesome.

Thanks to everyone for their input on the subject. Methinks they have more than a few defective pumps in this series and are keen to replace them rather than spend too much time asking questions. Maybe I lucked out and got a free pump. Either way, problem mostly solved!

-Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.