Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a long time SPD user. For the past 3 seasons I've been using a first generation Specialized Rime shoe with the M520 and then the M785 XT Trail pedal without any issues.

Yesterday I made the switch to Crankbrothers and I also replaced my Rimes with the new 2FO Cliplite since the Rimes are worn out. Since the change, I'm having issues releasing from the pedal. There seems to be a lot more friction between the shoe and pedal, you can actually hear the rubber squeaking against the pedal sometimes.

Now, I've done the obvious, screwed down the pins into the pedal and installed the shim under the cleat to space it out a bit further from the shoe, but I'm still having issues.

My guess is that this is a combination of the stickier rubber on the soles (the Slipknot rubber on the 2FOs is definitely stickier than the Vibram on the Rimes) and the increases surface area contact on the pedal.

Has any one else run this combination and have had the same issues I'm having? What did you do to resolve it?

Right now I'm thinking of either buying a set of cleats and using the shims that come with them to add a second shim under each cleat or removing the plastic traction pads that go on either side of the spring mechanism. They might be contributing to the friction the most since they have a raised textured patterns to them. I think I could either filed them down or just remove them completely.

I'm also hoping the more I use the combination they will wear against each other a bit and make it easier to get out. I had 5 or 6 awkward, slow clipped in falls that I haven't had since I first tried clips. Luckily I wasn't on anything technical so it wasn't too bad, but I do want to figures this out so I can have full confidence in being able to get out if I need to on rockier, more technical terrain.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I just switched over the 2FO cliplite from Teva's that had no issues with the Mallet E. Like you I had to put a shim under the cleat just so I could clip in. Once I added the shim i haven't had an issue but it does take a bit more force to get out of unlike my Mallet DH race. When I remove traction pads I have no issues at all and it's like the DH race pedals.

Try removing the traction pads from just one side and test back to back on if it helps any.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to try that tonight. Might just need to run the pedals without them or file them down a bit. It's interesting that the DH doesn't have them. Saw a guy using them this weekend with a pair of Shimano DH shoes and he had no problem getting out. Without the traction pads the pedal has no additional height to the left and right of the spring mechanism and the coefficient of friction is certainly lower than the textured plastic.

I am also going to see if the toe box is hitting the crank arm when twisting out. Might need to put the cleat inboard on the shoe more to get my foot further out. I have then basically centered left to right in the shoe and pretty far back, but not all the way back. Maybe 75% of the way back.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh interesting about the long spindle. Didn't know that was an upgrade option. I did see the Ti version. Will have to investigate that. Funny as I did think it looked like it had a smaller Q-factor than the M785 XT Trail pedals just visually.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. I have 3 8 hour rides on these now (DH) and I'm getting more used to them. A couple of things I have noticed/learned.

1) CBs have either 15 or 20 degrees of float, SPDs have 4 degrees... massive difference. No wonder why it's so much easier for me to get out of the SPDs. They start to release 11 degrees sooner while the CBs are still floating. Probably a good thing for using body english while riding DH/Enduro and something that I will adjust to and I think I already have been.

2) When saddle is at a DH height (i.e. nearly slammed) it's very difficult to unclip while seated and much easier to unclip while standing. I noticed this when cruising towards the lift seated it's pretty hard to get out. I have to think about it and give it way more torque than normal. I'm guessing the mechanism needs to be preloaded with some rider weight. I'm going on a trail ride tomorrow, so I'll be curious to see if having the saddle at trail ride height will give the mechanism enough preload to release smoothly.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My biggest issue with SPD is that 4 degree float, I have come unclipped with them at the wrong times when I was just trying to use some body English and I have never had that issue with the CB 15 degree. Like you said it does have it draw backs when it comes to needing to unclip but i would rather be secure and work hard to unclip than coming unclipped when I really need to stay in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts