Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cycling news ( http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/features/specialized_mtb_launch07 ) has a preview of the Specialized 2008 mountain line, including their sussy fork with carbon tidbits. Given that the big "S" has a 29-inch lineup forthcoming, could this be the shape of things to come...

[Disclaimer: there is no 29-inch Specialized fork shown on cycling news or hint of one being offered. The one shown below is a 26-inch fork. My point was, with the introduction of a big wheel line, perhaps we'll also see a big "S" fork to go with it - a true "FutureShock".]

Attachments

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hyperbole is an extravagant exageration - a mile high ice cream cone for example. A Specialized fork for 29-inch wheels is a possibility, though no fork is currently offered. Foreshadowing perhaps? They are developing a lineup of big wheel bikes and have some great tires, so why not a fork to go with them.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
29Colossus said:
There is no new Specialized 29er fork. Is that what you are trying to say?
Nope...what he asked was, "could this be the shape of things to come...?" which is a question....not a statement. Seems like he was opening up a discusion on what was possible...

I have another question for you...are you generally a dour person or do you just play one here on the compu-net?

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Padre said:
Nope...what he asked was, "could this be the shape of things to come...?" which is a question....not a statement. Seems like he was opening up a discusion on what was possible...
Well, anything is possible of course, but Specialized does not have a 29er fork right now. His topic language might be construed as if to suggest there might be one... right now... today... but there isn't.

I have another question for you...are you generally a dour person or do you just play one here on the compu-net?
I will continue to let you fantasize about that.

:cool:

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
To answer your question, I would guess that they would stick with Rebas for a few years on their own 29ers, wanting to see if the 29er market was going to be profitable for them, before jumping into their own production.

Here's a question: I see "brain" on the fork, I wonder if the fork picitured is similar to an F100x or some such platform fork . . . wel, isn't the trend AWAY from platform forks? I had heard Fox stopped production on the F100X . . .

Agee on the carbon bits . . . scary . . .

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
FWIW, on of the Specy reps at Sea Otter...when asked following a conversation about big wheels if they'd have (or were working on) a 29er fork offering....he replied, "Yeah, we've got nothing really going there..." and while saying that he was nodding his head "yes."

I remember April of 06 when I asked the reps if they would do 29ers at all and he scoffed and said no. Now we've got 'em.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Padre said:
I remember April of 06 when I asked the reps if they would do 29ers at all and he scoffed and said no. Now we've got 'em.
I had a similar conversation with Fox less than 9 months ago. A 29-inch forx wasn't going to happen.

I haven't paid much attention to Specialized offerings over the past few years. Frankly, I wasn't aware they were still doing forks. BTW - are they done in house or using another company's platform? When I saw the CN article on their MTB lineup for '08, I naturally looked for big wheels. The fork offering seemed like an interesting question to ponder, hence the post.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Draw your own conclusions.....

Random Drivel said:
Here's a question: I see "brain" on the fork, I wonder if the fork picitured is similar to an F100x or some such platform fork . . . wel, isn't the trend AWAY from platform forks? I had heard Fox stopped production on the F100X . . .

- Specialized hired away Fox's main-man to get the Futureshock/fork program off the ground again for them, and the 2 co.'s seem to be on the outs with each other IMO.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Carbon is especially scary when used as an argument to shed much weight. Which carbon forks are really light now? Only the most expensive ones. In 26", there's the German Answer Kilo in Carbon. 1100g or so, and in my hands felt really beefy. Nothing like a SID. A bit of German engineering went into that though.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
endure26 said:
I had a similar conversation with Fox less than 9 months ago. A 29-inch forx wasn't going to happen.

I haven't paid much attention to Specialized offerings over the past few years. Frankly, I wasn't aware they were still doing forks. BTW - are they done in house or using another company's platform? When I saw the CN article on their MTB lineup for '08, I naturally looked for big wheels. The fork offering seemed like an interesting question to ponder, hence the post.
Surely you didn't miss this then...http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php...h07/Specialized_Stumpjumper_29_full_side_view

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.